is a bunny better off solo or in a pair?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippie

Reaction score
i have a 15 wk old male netherland dwarf who is the sweetest little bunny ever. he has about6 hours free range outside of his hutch per day and also spends time indoors. his hutch is outside and quite large also. i am concerned that he might be lonely or bored during the hours i am at work though as this is the time that he spends in the hutch. would it be wise to get him a playmate or do you think he would be okay by himself? i have heard mixed opinions about getting a second rabbit-some people think it is a good idea but others have told me bonding two bunnies is too hard and not to bother. if i go ahead with a second bunny is a spayed female best? my rabbit will be getting neutered when he is the right age. thanks!

I think it really comes down to the rabbit. Some are happy to be alone while others really do prefer to company of other rabbits. It is really hard to tell if they will get along unless you try it. Intact rabbits will rarely get along and it can be tricky if one is intact and other other neutered.

Bonding can be tricky as well. First, both rabbits should be spayed or neutered and given a chance to heal, it would be best to wait about 4 weeks after surgery before trying to bond. Take it slow so they can get used to each other before you try putting them in the same cage. It does take time, some taking longer than others. However, even with the best intentions and doing everything right, no all rabbits will get along.

If you can, try to get the rabbits to meet before you commit to the new rabbit. Many shelters and rescues will allow you to bring your rabbit (once he is neutered) to meet potential partners. You can then see if he likes one over another. If it important that you pick on he likes rather than you picking one you like.

I think your best bet is too have your boy neutered and then try to find a spayed doe. I made the mistake of having 2 intact rabbits in the same house. I have no idea how they managed to breed. I had my buck neutered and 3 days after my doe had a litter of 2...
He should be able to be neutered soon :)

Pharfly: your rabbits bred after you had the male neutered because the sperm didn't have a chance to die off. After a male rabbit gets neutered, it takes about 2 months for the sperm to die off, and it is best to keep the male away from the female until the 2 months are up. Otherwise as you have noticed you have babies.

No they bred before he was neutered. He was neutered on a tuesday and that following Friday they where born. So I got him fixed a month too late lol!

I have a 5 month old bunny right now and just brought home another one yesterday. They are both females. The new one is 4 months old. I have been keeping one in a playpen/cage and the other in her cage condo with free roam most of the day. They are doing well and are quite curious and interested in each other. They have not been spayed yet.

Rabbit's are solitary animals, even in the wild the only time two will come together is to mate. So your little guy will be fine on his own. But if you really did feel he was lonely you could give it a try. Good luck

Some rabbits in the wild live in huge groups called Warrens. Rabbits can be very social. They groom each other as a sign of affection. I have seen people with groups of 12-14 rabbits bonded together all spayed or neutered of course. These large groups have entire rooms to themselves of large outdoor runs.
That being said not every rabbit enjoys company and you need to house them in a huge cage so if they do want to get away from each other for a break they can. And you do have to watch if a fight breaks out you will have too seperate them. Rabbtis can get into nasty fights, ie ripping ears off.

Latest posts

Back