Is 3 months too early for neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3willowsbunny

Reaction score
We picked up Stewie on Saturday, he is 11 weeks old and a wonderful guy so far, I would really like to get him fixed before the hormones kick in and wondered if 3 months was a good age.

As long as the vet is comfortable preforming the procedure at that age, and his boys have dropped, then no it is not too early.
Both my male and female were done around that age, no issues at all.
There is no negative affect to their growth if done early.
It all really depends how confident your vet is in doing the procedure.

My nethie Felix was neutered at 3 months, since he was a bit of an early bloomer! I wanted to get it done ASAP to hopefully avoid the hormonal stage, and luckily I pretty much did. Never had problems with spraying, becoming aggressive/territorial, or anything like that. :)

I'm going to call tomorrow to schedule a "well bunny" checkup so I'll have them check his "parts" and if they give the okay I'll have him done ASAP, after reading all the horror stories about aggressive biters and having had a sprayer in the past I want this done as soon as possible.

The general rule of thumb is 2 lbs or 6 months, whichever is first. Although your vet may be comfortable with sooner. It is best just to check with the vet and see. Some are more experienced than others. My vet did 6 months because Buster was so small and growing slowly. It took him 1 year to reach 3 lbs haha! He's a whopping 4.3 now :p my small boy.

Buster must be a cutie pie!! Stewie is a Flemish Giant and is already almost bigger than my mini lops were when they were full grown, I havn't weighed him but I bet he's at least 4-5 pounds. The vet I'm taking him to is excellent with rabbits, he came very highly recommended.

Back