Is 2 rabbits a good idea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iluvbunnys

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am just wondering that when we went to a fair the western australia rabbit council was there and they said never to have 2 rabbits because 2 boys or 2 girls would fight so badley it would cause death i dont want to get another rabbit because i just dont want to loose the connection me and yoshi have and i am so happy with just one so whtas your opion

thanks

I guess it just depends if Yoshi is happy being independent :) My bunny Mimi displayed signs of being bored and bad behavior, but since decided on getting her a playmate (de-sexed male) - spent 2 months bonding them (she attacked him quite a lot) she's done a complete 180, is far more happy with having a "boyfriend" now than in the past and will still nudges me for cuddles and attention.

Iluvbunnys wrote:
Hi everyone i am just wondering that when we went to a fair the western australia rabbit council was there and they said never to have 2 rabbits because 2 boys or 2 girls would fight so badley it would cause death i dont want to get another rabbit because i just dont want to loose the connection me and yoshi have and i am so happy with just one so whtas your opion
My humble opinion is that is wrong information and a shame they are spreading it around the general public. Rabbit's are very social creatures. I'm currently working on bonding my neutered male and spayed female, there has been nothing close to fighting to the death! Mind you, I would never just toss two rabbit's together, it doesn't work that way. Bonding can often be complex as Rabbit's do have hierarchies and are very emotional beings. Saying any two Rabbit's should -never- be together because they would cause death is inaccurate and one big generalization.

It's common for bunny slaves to be concerned that the bond with their furry companion will weaken if said bunny does successfully bond with another of their kind. I assume it's possible, but not the norm. Typically the human bunny bond does not change. The only down side to having two bonded bunnies is they start to learn each others bad habits! Like digging in the carpet for example. However, that goes the other way as well. They also can pick up each others good habits.

I think bunny bonding is a great thing if you have the time and resources. You have to keep in mind though, it's not always easy and not every two bunnies will agree to bond. Fights are possible, though I have yet to hear of a situation where death has happened. Spaying and Neutering is always recommended if the bunny has no medical problems making the surgery too risky. This takes hormones and possibility of babies out of the equation. I guess it could be possible for a fight to the death if you are uneducated on the process and just toss two Rabbit's together without any plans on separation if they hate each other. This can happen with almost any domestic animal though.

Here is a quick video of two bunnies "killing" each other with kisses! :hearts:

[align=center][flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/uveS3y0n4Sc[/flash]
[/align]

thanks so much for my help
yoshii think loves being independant because we spend so much time together i think hes perfect with each other so in the future i would get another bunny would it be a desexed girl??

It is easier to bond them when both rabbits and fixed (spayed or neutered). Male female pairs tend to work best, but same sex pairs can work too. You should let Yoshi pick the rabbit if you can. He might not like the rabbit you choose for him. You do have to spend the time to bond them. A pair might not be as affectionate with you are they are with each other, but it you keep working on your bond with each rabbit, they will still be affectionate with you. It is a different relationship that they have with you compared to another rabbit. You can't provide the same level and type of interaction as another rabbit can.

Just because you will get another rabbit doesn't mean that Yoshi won't like you anymore. Actually its better for both of you, Yoshi will be able to contact others of his kind and you will be able to have a little rest from Yoshi. And if somebody tells you that 2 bunnies is bad tell them to think again. I have 2 girls right now at home and yes sure they do get into disagreements but they don't kill each other and they turned 1 year old yesterday. And can always get a boy and girl just get them sprayed and neutered. But if you want 2 boys or two girls just keep them in seperate cages when they are aggressive.:highfive:

Back