Irritated naughty bits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd put a separate crock down for them flavoured with a little apple juice.

I'd also increase the veggies. It's not an expert opinion by any stretch, but I think the wet fibre from veggies (and canned pumpkin) is as good as hay if not better. (And except for very high calcium content veggies, I'm not sure I'd worry too much about what kind of veggies, but the more variety the better).

I'd also give them pesticide-free grass or field hay that hasn't been dried.

sas :bunnydance:

I'd put a separate crock down for them flavoured with a little apple juice.

I dont know what that means

The milky pee I looked it up online and it said it was normal and comes in all colors.. as long as there was no blood in it.

So put down some water with apple juice in it?

Exactly what should the main veggie be? Should i add apple juice to the water?

A 'crock' is a fancy word for a heavy dish. ;) Just give them a choice of plain water or apple-flavoured water, so don't just put juice in the water bottle.

Also change it often, it goes bad quickly.

Milky pee every once in awhile is fine, but continuously or when it gets thick like toothpaste is bad.

I don't really have a main veggie, variety really is the key, but romaine lettuce is a good base. I try to rotate veggies. I get free carrot tops, cabbage leaves, etc, but I still only give each veggie to them for three or four days in a row and then take a break for a few days.

Actually lately I get an organic produce store to give me a lot of veggies before they're composted, and that allows me to give them five to eight different kinds of veggies a night. But it sure takes awhile to make their salads.

If the apple jiuce doesn't entice them you can try a drop of vanilla essence, or a drop of cranberry juice. I also had a fussy bunny that I made 'banana water' for, by soaking banana in water for a couple of hours and then giving the water, and another who would had 'basil water' so I did the same thing with the basil.

At the moment I have some downing loads of cranberry water, so its just aboutr finding what works for your bunnies. If they don't take to something easy then get creative, think of their favourite food/treat and find a way to flavour water like that.

Flashy wrote:
If the apple jiuce doesn't entice them you can try a drop of vanilla essence, or a drop of cranberry juice.

At the moment I have some downing loads of cranberry water...

Yikes, thanks Flashy, silly me! Cranberry is also the best thing for bladder issues. I will help keep bacteria(?) from adhering to the bladder lining.

Very good home remedy!

sas :headsmack

Pipp wrote:
Flashy wrote:
If the apple jiuce doesn't entice them you can try a drop of vanilla essence, or a drop of cranberry juice.

At the moment I have some downing loads of cranberry water...

Yikes, thanks Flashy, silly me! Cranberry is also the best thing for bladder issues. I will help keep bacteria(?) from adhering to the bladder lining.

Very good home remedy!

sas :headsmack
Yep, you're 100% right there.

Guys so just a drop of cranberry juice? I got the pure cranberry juice.. not the ocean spray type stuff that has other juice.

Can I give them 1/2 and 1/2 or just a drop per how much?

Whatever mix he will drink, really. If it's pure juice and not sweetened, it's up to him. He may like a diluted mix better, like 1/4 cranberry to 3/4 water or weaker. I think that was as strong as mine would like.

Those buns are finicky and don't seem to be drinking the mix or their bottled water but they are eating veggies.. which are rinsed .. probably getting lots of water from that.

Madison seems sad.. she sits in here little house ... looking sad

One of my buns has a lot of calcium problems. Here are some websites I used that tell the calcium content of things. I have tried to cut out high calcium veggies and hay but truthfully I am not sure if it has helped, but I still do it.
http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/calevel.html
http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/caforage.html
http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/hay.htm#Bunny Blend

I also soak my veggies for atleast an hour so they absorb more water. I think that has really helped. My bun never took to flavoring the water. I even tried flavoring it with cilantro by putting it in the blender with lots of water. She use to always have a water bottle and I think adding the bowels really helped and I got a cat fountain that she likes sometimes also. I make sure to give her the veggies when she is in her cage, if I give it to her while she is free roaming she won't eat them right away and the sooner they eat them the more water they will get from them.

I hope that helps. That vet bill is very cheap lol I pay more then that just for Chase to get her x-rays and visit.

Latest posts

Back