Irresponsible, but trying.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickette

Reaction score
OK, so, I'm Krickette, and I'm irresponsible, but trying, lol.
I was driving to go get gas, and on the side of the road someone was selling bunnies. I couldn't help but look, and I fell in love with one in particular. The guy said he's 2 months old and a miniature.
A miniature what, I have no clue.
Also, dont know if it's a boy or a girl, lol!!!
Anyway, he's very cute, and very small.
He was the smallest out of the bunnies that were there.

So, even though I bought him on a whim with none of the knowledge I know I should have had, I want to be as good to him as can be.

I do have experiance with animals, though. I have 2 rats, 3 dogs, 4 cats (though 3 are barn cats, lol), and 3 horses. Plus more cows and fish than I know off the top of my head.

So, this is my new bunny, that one of my cousins will show in 4H, and has named Bumper. I think it looks more like a leroy, lol.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEtmD6S9QLc[/ame]

n1215900180_30303299_1419.jpg

n1215900180_30303300_1775.jpg

n1215900180_30303301_2053.jpg

n1215900180_30303302_2359.jpg

n1215900180_30303303_2639.jpg

n1215900180_30303304_2932.jpg

n1215900180_30303305_3219.jpg

n1215900180_30303306_3493.jpg

n1215900180_30303307_3781.jpg

n1215900180_30303309_4354.jpg

n1215900180_30303310_4646.jpg

First of all - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Congrats on your new bunny. Don't worry about the fact that your baby was an "impulse purchase" - it sounds like you're going to try to do your best for him/her.

I want to give you a warning though - and please don't think I'm being critical because I'm not. :biggrin2:

That baby is probably only about 4 weeks old I'm guessing - and probably should not have been separated from its mama so young. I say all this to say - please be aware that when we share things about bunnies that age - it is really really important to understand - we are concerned about the baby. OK?

I would not give your baby any fresh greens, carrots, etc. for at least 2-3 months. I know it is going to be tempting to want to give it greens and treats....and I love to watch my rabbits when they get their lettuce, etc. But that baby's digestive system is still developing. I would stick with giving it pellets (without the colored yucky treats inside that are bad for them) and I would give it hay. You could also give it a bit of oatmeal (long cooking oatmeal - don't cook it - just grab a teaspoon or so out of the container and put it in the food bowl). I will at times with my babies give 1-2 cheerios to train them to come to me and "like" humans. That is 1-2 cheerios per day....

But stay away from sugary stuff and the fruits and veggies until the baby has time to have its digestive system develop....I would maybe start it on lettuce and stuff sometime in October - and only be giving about the size of a quarter to let it get used to it.

The downside to getting a baby that young is that it can develop health issues from not being with mama long enough and we have had people lose their babies shortly after getting them.

The upside is....the baby may bond to you better since you got it when it was younger. You get to enjoy the "babyhood"....etc.

Please - with all that I'm saying - don't beat yourself up about getting one so young - I don't mean to give you that impression at all. Think of it this way - in a way you "rescued" it from someone who might have gotten it and not been willing to learn about how to take care of it.

I just want you to be aware that you will need to be a bit more careful with your baby's diet since it is so young....

Oh - and your baby doesn't need milk or milk supplement - water should be fine.

Good luck with your baby - it is SOOOOO adorable. I just want to hold it and snuggle with it. I can see why you had to have it!

And welcome to the forum. Some more tips...before I forget.

• If you put your location (state at least) in your profile - it helps us if you need emergency help (finding a vet, etc) - or perhaps another member will be in your area who can help you
  • Check out all of our subforums - we have a library of topics on health issues and behavior issues. When your baby reaches the "teenage" phase - you'll probably be wanting the "behavioral issues" part of the forum as you may find it starts changing its actions and attitude.
And once again - a hearty welcome to you.

Peg

Thank you, I appreciate it the reply.
I'll stay away from the greens and treats and such. The guy we got him from gave us a bag of pellets (the kind it looks like you'd get from the co-op, you know?)
So we've been giving him that.
He got to run around today and play, he seems happy. He follows us around and is super cute.
I still need to get him a proper cage and such, but for the moment he has enough room in his makeshift one, lol. I think I'm going to build one.

:welcome1

Hi, and I'm very glad that you came to Ro.

Well I agree with everyone else, this little guy looks too young to be away from it's mother. I would really go to a vet and get him/her checked out.

Like Peg said, don't get mad at yourself for buying a young rabbit. The good thing is that you posted it on here, so now you can get tons of good information to take care of this little guy/girl.

Also, he/she is very adorable. :DI can see why you decided to buy him/her.

So keep us posted on how this little one is doing.

-

Karlee

Welcome! Nice to meet another bunny/rat person!

I agree with taking that little bun to a rabbit savvy vet asap, he looks a bit sick...to me. His nose looks damp and with a baby that age, I really think a vet check is needed.

Oh, and be super-dee-duper careful about rabbits and rats playing together. It really is not reccommended. Rats have a strong bite, as do rabbits. Rabbits have a powerful kick that could injure/kill a rattie. Rats have super sensitive tails and a bunny could easily deglove a rat tail by stepping on it.

I never let my bunnies and rats play together. My 4 month old (tiny) kitten likes to come into the bunny/rat room while my three huge male rats are playing...and the kitten has been beat up several times by the rats. A rat could easily, believe it or not, beat up a rabbit, too. My rats think the kitten's tail is a "chase toy"....my poor kitten has almost had his tail bitten off! Needless to say, Zaide the kitten is not longer allowed to play with the rat crew :).

Ask any questions you have! If you have rat questions too, I'm the person to PM :biggrin2:.

ETA: just watched your bunny meet rats video. Be super careful! It may look cute, but rats are meat eaters and it may sound rediculious, but some rats won't think twice about attacking.

Hi there and welcome!

You've gotten some great advice so far- Im so happy you found us! I agree that a vet checkup would be best, especially since he's obviously very very young. Try to keep things calm and quiet for him, since he is in a new place and weaned so young. I would get him a stuffed animal or something to snuggle up to for now.

As for the pellets, just be sure they dont have any seeds or colored bits in them. They should be alfalfa based pellets for now and he should get an unlimited amount. Also, he should get unlimited hay right now, which will help his digestive system work properly. Digestive problems in baby rabbits can be fatal, especially with one weaned from mom so young :(

Feel free to look around and ask lots of questions. We're more than happy to help!

Haley

thanks for the advice. I don't plan on making it a habit to put the rats with the bun, I was just showing a size comparison. I wasn't sure if it would be ok or not until I saw them interact. The girls wanted to roughhouse, and the bun did not. He's a lot more active now, this is his second day with us. Hes been running about and playing and following us around the house. He likes to curl up and nap in our laps, though. I'm going to weigh him tomorrow after work, after I get the scale out of the barn.

Krickette wrote:
thanks for the advice. I don't plan on making it a habit to put the rats with the bun, I was just showing a size comparison. I wasn't sure if it would be ok or not until I saw them interact. The girls wanted to roughhouse, and the bun did not. He's a lot more active now, this is his second day with us. Hes been running about and playing and following us around the house. He likes to curl up and nap in our laps, though. I'm going to weigh him tomorrow after work, after I get the scale out of the barn.

Sounds good! Your girlie rats are probably pretty small, eh? Then that baby bun must be so tiny, my gosh!

I wasn't trying to be harsh, I just wanted to warn you about how bossy rats can be sometimes, lol. If you ever want to see videos of Zaide (my kitten) getting bossed around by my male ratties, ask....it's quite hilarious (he wasn't getting hurt).

Yes, he's really tiny. I'm going to get the scale out tomorrow and see just how tiny.

I hope that I can help this bun. I'm not sure how many bunny savvy vets are around me, but my roomie is a pre vet student, maybe she knows of someone.
I am going to buy some timothy hay and get some more pellets after work today. I gave him some oatmeal earlier and he ate it all up!

Also, how do you check if a bun is dehydrated? I just want to be sure. Is it just like any other animal or???

I've got a lot to shop for!
Anyone want to give me a small shopping list?
I'm kinda stuck. I want to give this bun all I can, but the business has been so slow lately at work, that my tips are hardly anything. That and I'm about to move and have to buy all kinds of things. Yuck. I am going to take responsibility though, don't worry. there's plenty of nonessentials in my life that can go on hold, lol!!

Dont worry, youre doing great. This bunny is so lucky you picked him!

The main way to tell if a bun is dehydrated is to gently lift the skin on their back (sort of between the shoulders). You can sort of pinch it with your fingers and if its stays in place they are dehydrated. Also, if their poops are very very tiny and/or very hard you will know they are dehydrated. For now, just make sure he's drinking lots of water.

Some things you can pick up to have on hand: a good alfalfa pellet (the best is oxbow bunny basics 15/23 if your pet store has it), different types of hay but mainly alfalfa and timothy for now, some children's pedialyte (helps hydrate and restore electrolytes). I would also pick up a syringe (like a baby syringe or one for other animals) in case you need to syringe medicine.

Another thing- almost all people trying to sell rabbits claim they are miniature or dwarf, when really they are just very young. We can probably get a better idea in the next few weeks of his/her size, but be prepared to have a possibly large bun :)

I would add vanilla to your shopping list. It can be real or imitation.

I would add just a couple of drops to the water (if you're using a little bowl - I don't know if the baby knows yet how to drink from a water bottle). Basically - you want to add a tiny bit of flavoring so the baby will want to drink.

But be careful - just a couple of drops will do it...

Ohhh poor little babba away from his mummy :(Though I think you are going to be a great mummy for him! Think about it even though its bad hes away from his mummeh you are going to be able to see him through nearly all the stages of his life apart from birth thats one amazing thing i think!

I think you are doing everything you can and thats really amamzing!

Anyway Welcome to the forum - this a great place to be!

Becca:p

Hi, and welcome!

You've sure got a handsome/pretty little rabbit on your hands! Everything they have told you here are great tips. You'll like RO, everyone's willing to help just the best they can. Heck, if you wern't so far away form me, I had a cage you could have had!

Just you wait until his ears get into that airplane mode!

This picture makes me giggle. He looks like he's laughing. Or smiling... Or just being cute!

n1215900180_30303300_1775.jpg

Welcome , you are at a great place for great information on your cutie. I have to say wheni say the second and third pic i just wanted to come through the pic and kiss those wittle wips!!!!!!!!!!!! Very cute, you got some great advice from some great people above, good luck

What a cute baby! Its adorable that he/she and your rattie have the same back coloring...

Reminds me of when my Flopster was that small. I, like you knew nothing about rabbits when I got him. Let me warn you, they are addicting! :)

Krickette wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Your new bunny is soo cute! You've got great advice so far! :)

Did anyone else think that Bumper looks like Tallulah in these pictures? It was the first thing I thought of....Krickette, Tallulah was a bunny who belonged to another member, SnowyShiloh, and sadly died in May. Bumper looks a lot like her!

awww! i won't tell you how young s/he is, ect., you've heard it all from every body else. as to the breed time will tell, but s/he looks like a lop to me. the way the ears are before they lop and such. here's a link to a article in the libray on sexing him/her. although it's really hard to be sure on gender before the hit puberty. my baby girl Violet turned out to be a boy at almost five months. his name is now Jamie:D.

babies should have alflafa hay untill about six months, it has more protein, which is good for growing babies. here's the Analysis on timothy and alflafa

timothy-

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) 6.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 2.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 32.0%
Moisture (max.) 12.0%
Calcium (min.) 0.25%
Calcium (max.) 0.75%

alflafa-

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 16.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 1.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 28.0%
Moisture (max.) 12.0%

as for a shopping list:

cage:NIC cages are great, you can make it a big or tall as you want and they're cheaper than a huge store bought cage. here's the tutorial from the library.

litter box:i use a ferret corner box with clips, that way bunny can't knock it around the cage.

litter:i use yesterday's news. it has great odor conrol, it is a bit pricey. the cheapest place to get it that i've found is the hug 20 pound bag at Petco. it's in the cat litter section.

Food: i use Nutriphase rabbit food. it's the cheapest and has the best quility of what we have around here. a five pound bag is $4 and lasts around 3-4 weeks.

Hay:I've used they Kaytee hays(alflafa and then timothy)and haven't had any problems.

toys:Jamie's fave toy is a strip(4in by 3 feet)of extra fleece. and a old fleece blanket. he jut loves fleece. all buns are differant, but fleece is cheaper than a lot of*pet)store bought toys. he also has a suffed banana anda carrot rattle from the pt store. he loves paper bags, too. and card boad boxes.

i think that's about it. just remember that the stuff i recomended is what i use, other people use other things and swear by them as much as i do the things i use. they're just what i prefer.any words that are blue are links to things.

congrats on the new baby, i can't wait to hear more about him/her!

Anna
ETA:that's what i thought too! just like Lula!

Awww I love the bunny! I got my Bo on a whim, and then I got Tony on a more educated whim, and told hubby that he was a prize in a raffle! :whistlingThey steal our hearts don't they?

I think the rat and bunny look cute together but I don't know..... my cat and bunny used to play together all the time. Just be careful to watch closely.

Good luck..... he's precious!

Krickette, your new baby is so precious! I really, really hope Bumper grows up to be a healthy, happy bunny. Do you think he's a Holland Lop? I'm the one with Tallulah, and since they look SO much alike (Lu was more cinnamon colored, but the markings are the same pretty much), I can't help but think of Bumper as a girl! Here is a picture of Lulu doing her Bumper impression... She insisted on keeping her head tilted for the picture!

RoryandTallulah058.jpg

Latest posts

Back