irresponsable pet owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that we should help those that have problems and I do wish that people did ask more questions before giving animals to people. The place I got Lago at didn't even ask me if I've had rabbits before and didn't offer me a care sheet on them either. The Petsmart I used to work at was great about asking people if they've had the animal before and if they knew how to care for it. Unfortunately most stores don't seem to care whether or not new owners of animals know how to properly care for them.

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Oh, same here Helonor. I did a little research and bought my bunny Acacia off some idiot BYB in a small town in Newfoundland. My roommate at the time had a rabbit and I figured since she was offering advice and whatnot I could trust her. . Acacia has serious trust issues and my roommate probably caused them by chasing her around and yelling to "scare her to stop" etc. . . I cannot believe she still has her rabbit. Poor thing, she used to let her ferret free roam the same room the rabbit lived in. The ferret constantly harrassed the bunny, I spoke to her about it but she has issues of her own. She is a hoarder and has paranoia so there is no getting through to her :(

What a lot of people do not see is the fact that many people who buy animals and dump them off are not only irresponsible and ignorant but have social problems like anxiety, schizophrenia, ADD, um. . . well problems which cause people to become social outcasts. This also includes people with chronic pain and seniors. IMO urban societies are to blame for many of the health problems today. They're psychological and many are caused by growing up in dysfunctional families too where the only love one feels to receive is from animals. Since animals are so easy to obtain and dispose of it fits people's changing lives. It's unfortunate and I know everybody here has rescued and supports rescue and hates idiots that dump animals on shelters etc. . . But I think more outreach needs to be done to these groups of people and we should be responsible for getting out there and supporting them by helping them rather than slandering them.

I have the complete opposite view here. I really don't think we can excuse any people for treating animals badly on psychological problems; IMO most of these people are just selfish, immoral, incredibly self-absorbed, and haven't been brought up to respect animals.
I know people who don't respect animals in the slightest. None of them have mental 'problems'. They are just like most other selfish humans on the planet who believe we are better than animals, and have no respect for them at all.
You don't need to be an 'evil' person to buy a rabbit on impulse, and then dump it a few weeks later at a shelter. That's not someone who has a problem mentally, that's just a selfish person who thinks only of themselves. They got the pet purely for their own enjoyment, without ANY consideration to the animal itself. I think we can all say that, although we get TONNES of enjoyment from our pets, we strive every day to make the life of our pet better and better, and make them the happiest little things in the world?

Just my opinion, of course, and I am sure many will disagree.

I can't help but have no sympathy whatsoever for those people who abuse/disrespect animals, when they are quite capable of respecting humans. You know why? Because they can get away with being utterly self-absorbed and immoral when it comes to animals- why waste the energy? Noone's gonna lock you up.

Sigh

This is where we need people to have to obtain licenses to own a pet. Prove themselves worthy.

Jenny

jcottonl02 wrote:
I have the complete opposite view here. I really don't think we can excuse any people for treating animals badly on psychological problems; IMO most of these people are just selfish, immoral, incredibly self-absorbed, and haven't been brought up to respect animals.
I know people who don't respect animals in the slightest. None of them have mental 'problems'. They are just like most other selfish humans on the planet who believe we are better than animals, and have no respect for them at all.
You don't need to be an 'evil' person to buy a rabbit on impulse, and then dump it a few weeks later at a shelter. That's not someone who has a problem mentally, that's just a selfish person who thinks only of themselves. They got the pet purely for their own enjoyment, without ANY consideration to the animal itself. I think we can all say that, although we get TONNES of enjoyment from our pets, we strive every day to make the life of our pet better and better, and make them the happiest little things in the world?

I can't help but have no sympathy whatsoever for those people who abuse/disrespect animals, when they are quite capable of respecting humans. You know why? Because they can get away with being utterly self-absorbed and immoral when it comes to animals- why waste the energy? Noone's gonna lock you up.

Hi! I absolutely agree with you. :)Most (definately the majority)of people that mis-treat animals, or buy them on impulse and then later dump them,do Not have "mental problems."

I believe the problem is that they think that animals don't have feelings/emotions and that they are like a "rock." They don't realize that animalscan all feel fear, pain, happines, lonliness, etc. They have no heart towards the animals, so when they mis-treat them, or dump them, I don't think they even feel bad about it.

They also think thatanimals are just 'disposable' and that they can just adopt it on the whim and later just dump it at the animal shelter, or worse - outside, etc. I don't think theyever think of how the animal feels about that whole process.

Anyways, people who are like that really bug/upset meand I don't think I'll ever really be able to understand people who are like that.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

I certainly agree that there are people who have not been diagnosed with mental and social problems who abuse and neglect their pets. I would not classify all as these"normal" types because someone who has been let to get away with this kind of behavior is IMO someone who has been allowed to get away with the worst crime. There was a 10 year old boy here in NL 2 years back or so who stabbed a neighbor's small dog with a friggen barbeque fork. A ten year old!!! His parents denied everything bc once something like this gets in the spotlight all parents want to beleive their kids are superb. So, the kid got away with murder and psychological check. A year later he did it again to another dog (a bigger one than before) and then they did an evaluation on him. Oh excuse me, I just found a forum on it he was 8 yrs old. http://www.notefromlapland.com/2010/06/8-year-old-kills-dog-with-bbq-fork-whose-fault-is-it.html and cbc news http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2010/06/14/dog-killed-bbq-fork-614.html So yes, parenting is a big thing. Obviously there is some needs this child has that are being ignored. I blame this on bad parenting. Things like this, most are left unseen bc the individual keeps anger at bay, are what I would define as a social problem. Mental illness, maybe. But no body can say this kid is not screwed up?!

I hear what you're saying Amanda. People who do terrible things to animals are pretty *m*ucked up in the head. My friend's next door neighbour snuck into my friend's garden one night, took their rabbit, and drowned it in the pond. My friend consequently went round the next day and broke the lad's leg.
I'm afraid I felt no sympathy, even if the neighbour was 'mucked up' in the head. I don't know. Maybe that's wrong, but I know in the same situation, I probably would have done worse to them.

Maybe proper disorders can cause the sitatuation to be looked at differently, if something horrific was done to an animal. The crime would still be as horrific, and the person should still have to suffer the appropriate consequences (by a court, I mean), but I think it can be more 'understood'.

However, there are hundreds and hundreds- THOUSANDS- of normal people who go and buy animals on an impluse, and then just dump them/rehome them at ease with no regard for the animal's state of mind etc. Some do it making sure the animal is healthy and safe, some do it in an unforgivable way. Either way it's just their pure ignorance/selfishness/CONVENIENCE, in my view. Nothing to do with mental state of mind.

Of course this is totally down to opinion, and everyone's is as valid as anyone else's. Otherwise it wouldn't be called an opinion, so I do respect your views.
I think maybe my views are a bit extreme because I can't stand living in a world where I have to live and see animals being treated in the most horrific ways every day and noone really caring. Whereas if a human was treated this way the person would be locked up for life. It hurts me so much and I just cannot get my head around it that people can do that kind of stuff. Just can't understand. And to think if anyone hurt my animals....I don't even want to think about what I would do to that person.

I do also believe it can be down to how the child is brought up, also. I think this plays a HUGE part in morals.

Jen

My problem lies with justice. As long as a criminal undergoes psychiatric assessment they're usually let off with a less than ideal sentence which teaches them nothing but to do it again and again. Animal abuse leads to human abuse and then, and only then is it REALLY taken seriously. But by then the criminal can claim insanity and vague decision-making processes. .
Actually, I think I'm on a different wave lenght here. And I am afraid I might have have hi-jacked the thread. What I am imposing with the whole mental illness thing is only in extreme abuse cases. I think in the event of downright diposeability of animals and the people who allow their pets to starve to emaciation and plunder them to hell with blows- yes, people also who dump their pets on overwhelmed shelters with the hops that their pet is so special it will guarantee get a home. People are just ignorant to the fact that their responsibility means for life. Shelters exist as pawn shops. These people can give up animals without penalty when an animal no longer fits their lifestyle, then turn around and get another one. Shelters are an excuse for people who don't know what its like to have something like a life in their hands. Animals feel no pain or sorrow to them and again this goes back to my hatred for justice. There is no penalty for people's stupidity. Blahh

Well I know that some people like my dad and grandmother and brother or basically all my realitives swear that pets are just a disposible item and not worth caring about them. Infact back in January after 6 YEARS of having my dogs my dad decided he didn't want me to have them anymore despite the fact I was spending $150 a month to feed both my dogs plus his plus another persons dog So he was getting ready to open the door, take their collars off and turn them loose in the street while I was at work. I ended up switching with a coworker so I could get off work early. I asked tay's parents if I could move in here and they obviously said yes but I still had to get rid of my dogs so I took them to the pound which killed me and I still have problems dealing with it even though it's been two months now. and I have nightmares all the time about my dogs especially since I know they put them to sleep because even though Bianica was THE perfect dog everyone wanted her but because she had extreme seperation anxiety. and then Abby was a handful smarter than she let on but with all her quriks no one in their right mind would want her. So sometimes it's not always as simple as it seems. However I do know that several people get animals without thinking about it. On craigslist you can see people all the time who got an animal and then turn around and get rid of it. What I hate is when you see people who adopted animals from the shelters then are trying to get rid of them on craigslist.

That is so sad! People who don't do their homework first annoy me. Every animal has different care, including a hamster or gerbil! Heck, even the different species of hamsters require different care.

That is so sad! People who don't do their homework first annoy me. Every animal has different care, including a hamster or gerbil! Heck, even the different species of hamsters require different care.

Yes, parents who get hamsters for their toddlers should be shot. And I know its not as easy as it seems. When we had Nikki (our spaniel cross we found on the streets) she was old and had malignant lumps, ear infections and who knows what else but mom wouldn't take her to the vet. So we had her for about a year and a half and then mom figured out the Humane Services held a "free euthanasia" day for the public who preferred not to go to vet / or see their animal suffer. Mom brought Nikki there. The catch was we couldn't stay around. We had to walk away knowing Nikki would die that day. It still kicks the bladder near my eyes. That was in 2004 or '05. So I know every situation is unique from the next (well for people who care for their pets)

Acacia-Berry wrote:
What a lot of people do not see is the fact that many people who buy animals and dump them off are not only irresponsible and ignorant but have social problems like anxiety, schizophrenia, ADD, um. . . well problems which cause people to become social outcasts. This also includes people with chronic pain and seniors.
I understand you were not trying to be offensive, but I have to disagree with some of the illnesses you listed. I have anxiety, depression, and chronic pain. However, my pets are my life and I wouldn't give them up for anything. I feel thatALL my animals (22 in total if you count the 2 fish tanks as 2 rather than the individual fish) get wonderful care and love on a daily basis. Because I have trouble connecting with people I connect better with animals and quite frankly prefer their company most of the time. I would defy any organization/person to tell me that someone else could care for any of them better than I do. All of my pets, other than the fish, were rescues. Several of them have emotional or health issues. I tend to adopt the ones that are hard for others to love. All of them get vet care and annual check ups, I just space it out over the year and have a pet fund.

I guess my point is to be careful with the stereotypes because I'm sure there is someone here with each of these issues that is a great pet parent. :wink

Then again, I also think anyone that abuses animals burns in a specially horrible place in hell. :X

I don't think it's to big of a deal if the parent gets a toddler a hamster AS LONG AS that parent understands that THEY are going to be the one who has to take care of it not the toddler. My neice "has" lots of pets lol 10 parakeets, a cat that used to be mine but she begged and begged for him so I gave him to her and a dog. Oh and she's 3. While she will tell you that everyone of these are hers and she DOES make sure she feeds and waters and interacts with them all at the end of her weekly stay with her dad and she goes back to her moms HE is the one who cares for them. And I go over to supervise to make sure they are infact recieving proper care.

Oh my goodness! No , no offense was intended!! Jeez, I have anxiety and chronic pain as well (spina bifida). I only listed them off the top of my head as associative with urban areas. Maybe I'm misinformed or have a supremely biased opinion!! I know I am guilty of that. And of course I would never assume anyone here misuses their right to responsible ownership!
I never mean an entire when I generalize like that, because like I said I suffer too and no one is perfect. I think my fault lies in that maybe I should give more details! Sorry!

It is so easy to get on the internet these days and research an animal, no one has any excuse. I believe the majority of house holds have internet and if they don't, they have access at a friend's house, work/school, library, internet cafe etc.
No excuse at all, just sheer laziness and this attitude ''It's just a rabbit/hamster/ rat, how hard could it be?''.

I want to get some mice in the future, I'm hoping when I move out to go to college in September and have to leave all my pets behind with my parents. If where I stays allows me to have something small. I have been doing research and regularly lurking a mouse forum since last April! I love learning about all the different aspects of an animals care and different ways to do it.

Grace, just a tip from someone who has had mice. They have a distinct smell that no amount of cleaning can get rid of. You might want to look into gerbils. They have similar personalities (very smart, don't bite, can train them to do tricks, like to be handled, etc) but without the smell. Gerbils are desert animals so they drink and pee less, so less smell. I have two male gerbils in my bedroom now. I never would have been able to tollerage the mice in my bedroom. Even the girls had a smell about them.

I raised mice as a kid and loved them dearly, but your college roomate may not be as tollerant of the smell.

MiniLopHop wrote:
Grace, just a tip from someone who has had mice. They have a distinct smell that no amount of cleaning can get rid of. You might want to look into gerbils. They have similar personalities (very smart, don't bite, can train them to do tricks, like to be handled, etc) but without the smell. Gerbils are desert animals so they drink and pee less, so less smell. I have two male gerbils in my bedroom now. I never would have been able to tollerage the mice in my bedroom. Even the girls had a smell about them.

I raised mice as a kid and loved them dearly, but your college roomate may not be as tollerant of the smell.

Hi! Yes, I totally agree you should get a gerbil too. I have 1 happy female gerbil (had 2, but her mate sadly passed away.) They make great pets and will become really friendly, especially if you get them at a young age and handle them everyday. Mine(Hershey)loves to sit onmy shoulder and come out of the cage on my hands.

I have never had mice, but I noticed that yes, they do have an odour to them, that I think no matter how much you cleaned the cage, you'll still smell it. As long as you clean ther cage regularily, gerbils don't smell.

I definatley recommend a gerbil.

(I also enjoy reseaching about proper animal care.) :)

Thanks,

Kaylee

Male mice smelled. My females never smelled. I also raised both and my sister bred them. They're way cleaner than hamsters bc they dont stuff their food in their beds to rot :p Mice were cute as heck! I set up so many obstacles for them to climb and play on bc I like watching them wrap their tails around things. Rats are maybe a better idea, the females smell like grape kool-aid. This is a true story bc I've smelled them when my sister upgraded to rats. They make better pets than all the small pocket pets bc they have the ability to recognize their humans and different people and they respond and react to things in a different way than all other pocket pets. They're highly intelligent and should live in pairs. Anyway, it's your decision but mice are very cute!

I didn't do proper research before I got my first bunny (former girlfriend had one and we got another one together). I think you can never stop people from getting animals before they do research, but information afterwards is VERY important. It is amazing how much I used to spend on my bunny compared to what I spend now on 2.
I spent WAY to much money on my bunny for the first 1-2 years on all the wrong things. I bought pine chips for litter (overly pricy and bad), expensive cages (very small, and cost a TON), treats (overly sweet and costly), toys, leashes / harnesses, brushes, pet store hay, wasted food. I was dropping money, but I still feel my poor bunny wasn't getting the right care. I don't know if anyone has done this, but someone or a group of someones should put together a list of bunny essentials and cost saving measures. A basic do it yourself cage design, proper litter recommendations, proper feeding habbits / construction of a no dig dish, do it yourself toy ideas with instructions, litter box training tips, etc. Would have helped me a great deal in the beginning. Information before is best, but information after purchase is still very useful.

PS. My bunny now has a much better life in a large homebuilt pen (8' x 8') with his much more timid companion.

Sometimes you still get burned, even after doing the research on an animal. We thought gerbils would be good pets, but both of ours bit, especially when they got loose andwe were trying to catch them. Forget hamsters and mice. We had a couple of rats and even though that tail turns me off, they were both very sweet and never bit. We also had two guinea pigs, and they were good pets also. You have to be careful with g.pigs because their backs are prone to injury, just like rabbits.

For anyone going off to college, be sure to check the rules for keeping pets in dorms. Some allow small animals but our daughter's only allowed fish. While she's off at college guess who takes care of the rabbits? :rollseyes

Back