Introduction & Question re: 1 or 2 rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eithne Dundas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and happy to have found it. My daughter's rabbit passed away last week, although she has been in college for the past 3 years, so he really had become my rabbit, and we especially bonded as he got older and needed more care.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Shelter
A day after he passed, I packed up his indoor house, extra hay, food, etc., and took them to our local shelter to donate. It was 10 minutes before closing, and we met the volunteer in the front hallway. We unpacked our box of donations, and began to help move everything - including the large crate - to the back room. A manager came out and explained they didn't really have storage for more rabbit homes, so as I turned around, I happened to see a rabbit in a temporary enclosure. I asked why it was there, and they told me he had just been dropped off. He. Was. So. Cute! He. Was. So. Soft! He felt so nice to hold, and to watch hop around in the observation room! Luckily, because it was late and because he still needed to be neutered, they put him on hold for me while I consider starting life again with a new bunny.

My question is this:
We originally had 2 male rabbits, but they were not bonded so we kept them separately. Our last rabbit lived most of his life solo - I always felt badly about this. That said, I know I do not want to bring 2 rabbits into our home at this point in life. That said, I'd really appreciate any feedback / thoughts / suggestions on whether or not it is kind to adopt a solo bunny, or if I should leave him for someone who might bond him with another. I imagine (and have read) that it's important for rabbits to have rabbit friends, but I don't know that from experience. Thanks in advance!

Some rabbits do fine solo when they have a mom or dad that has plenty of time to spend with them. And even if you decide that you can't get him a friend now you can always make that decision later when the time is right. It sounds like you have the time to be with him. So I would say go for it! Even if you have a day job this is perfect for buns as they are most active during dawn and dusk and sleep throughout the day.

Bunny like having friends but some are really hard finding a bond to. Indoor bunnies that live next to the family and free roams don’t need a friend as outdoor bunnies do.

They often sleep during the day, I never interact with my indoor bunny day time. He will often sleep up on his house, eat hay and sleep. During morning and night he will seek attention and be extremely clingy asking for attention.

So go for it and adopt your bunny ^^

Solo bunnies are fine as long as you spend lots of time with them but if you can't a friend is great my bunnies are mother and daughter and they live happily together in their dog pen.

We have a single holland lop. He seems fine and actually likes his alone time. In fact most of the time we have to "visit" him in his room( he took over our study) even though most of the first floor is open to him when we are home. He has a small stuffed bunny surrogate in his room that he sometimes forms and sleeps next to.

Attachments

• 15760751061286968526787401092750.jpg
    15760751061286968526787401092750.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 12
I have a lionhead male rabbit rescued so I think hes between 1 and 1,5 year old now, he is very happy solo and he's so pedantic with his toilet and cleaning his cage I honestly can't imagine any other rabbit with him, I was thinking of bonding him with one of my girls after fixing them but they would definitely destroy his tiny perfect world, so I just let him be. He's very friendly but his cave is only for him and he is a very happy rabbit really.

But I also think that every rabbit is different and if you just watch your rabbits you will see and understand them better then you decide what's good for them, it is very individual.

We have a single holland lop. He seems fine and actually likes his alone time. In fact most of the time we have to "visit" him in his room( he took over our study) even though most of the first floor is open to him when we are home. He has a small stuffed bunny surrogate in his room that he sometimes forms and sleeps next to.
That set up is absolutely amazing!
That set up is absolutely amazing! Is it always that neat and clean, or was this taken on a "refresh" day? If it wouldn't be too much to ask, I'd love photos of each area, and what recommended "fun" things you have there (I see a box of shredded paper I think, unless that's his litter box). Really, any tips for a happy solo life would be much appreciated!
Also, can you share with me the personality of your Holland Lop - likes/dislikes? I think that's what this rescue bunny might be ...
4A66949C-05D6-41FD-960F-BC5351595D05.jpeg A49AFE14-C988-4B1F-B4FA-D53DD91B4074.jpeg

There are thousands of unwanted rabbits at shelters and on Petfinder.

IF you are able to financially afford a 2nd bun, have space, and can devote TLC and time, somebun will be glad you are adopting him/her.

On Facebook we constantly see the postings of rabbits at high-vol, high-termination shelters, so I'm hoping you might keep the bunny supplies and open your heart to another.

No worries, though, as our home has multiple singles now compared to multiple bonded pairs. Condolences on the loss of= your daughter's bun whom you developed a bond with. 'Tis excellent to know he had your love.

Also excellent that the shelter will neuter this boy for you.

There are thousands of unwanted rabbits at shelters and on Petfinder.

IF you are able to financially afford a 2nd bun, have space, and can devote TLC and time, somebun will be glad you are adopting him/her.

On Facebook we constantly see the postings of rabbits at high-vol, high-termination shelters, so I'm hoping you might keep the bunny supplies and open your heart to another.

No worries, though, as our home has multiple singles now compared to multiple bonded pairs. Condolences on the loss of= your daughter's bun whom you developed a bond with. 'Tis excellent to know he had your love.

Also excellent that the shelter will neuter this boy for you.
Thank you for your kind words! When she went off to college and think Butterscotch and I both felt a bit like Woody in Toy Story, when Andy goes off to school! :) He was a nice connection to their childhood ...

We have a Samoyed now, and I don't really want to have 2 rabbits - it extends the time commitment and of course, the cost. We spent over $2,000 on our last bunny just in the last 6 months - no prior health issues but his teeth eventually had serious problems - not uncommon for Lionheads. Thankfully it was doable, but definitely not desirable!! So I'd rather make a financial commitment that we can accommodate, if that makes sense.

This guy is in a shelter now, and definitely that's the way I would go - so many bunnies to rescue, so little time!

Back