Introducing veggies and an update...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyOnslaught

Reaction score
I posted an introduction to me and my new bunny the other day so I wanted to post an update and I also had a question. The question first:

Riley doesn't seem to know what veggies are so how do I introduce them to him? I did just get some last night and I got some baby carrots and celery. I read to introduce them one at a time and that's what I plan on doing. I put a carrot in his bowl and it was still there this morning...should I just keep doing that?

Things are going well I think. I moved his cage into our kitchen yesterday and then I can block our kitchen off with a baby gate, open his side door, and he can come in and out when I'm home. The dogs and cats we have have been good and I have been keeping a careful eye on everyone. Riley is very curious and I had him on the couch with me this morning. I haven't been interacting with him too much as I don't want to overwhelm him yet but I think he liked me on the couch with him this morning. I haven't been ignoring him but I just want to make sure he's settled and not spooked by me or anyone.

Do bunnies know their names?

I wanted to say thank you for the advice I've been given to. I just called our local feed store and they sell Woody Pet so I'm going to go after work and buy a bag for him.

When you introduce anything new, do it gradually, just a tiny bit and then wait and see if they get and upset stomach in the next 24 hours or so.

The best things to start with are leafy greens (check out the food threads in the Bunny 101 forum, and also at the top of this forum, they are ace), because they are generally the easiest on the stomach (but with like people, you will get some rabbits who won't tolerate them).

Carrots are full of sugar so should only be given in moderation, also, celery can get stuck in their teeth, so cut it into tiny pieces to avoid that.

I don't know how old Riley is but I don't introduce mine to veg until they are 4 or so months because they have delicate guts, so be careful with anything you introduce (even with an older bunny).

You can teach bunnies their names, such as by calling their name and using treats. Some of mine come if I call their name, but I'm inclined to think they come because I'm calling, not in response to their name, but I have not worked on it with them.

Yes, four months at least before introducing veggies. Carrots are fine but like Flashy said with moderation, I know a few of my guys that are sensitive don't do as well with carrots as other veg. Check out the list of good veggies, Parsley andRomaine lettuce are the favorites here. Our guys get a wide variety of fresh herbs & veg, but everybun loves those two things, with every other treat, some like, some don't. Those are the favorites :)

Yes, I think bunnies can learn their names.I don't think most of them are going to respond like say a dog would, but they definately can learn them. Our Mini Rex Noel knows her name very well, and will always look at you when you call her - and she always knows what "no" means lol.

I'm glad to hear things are going well with Riley :)

Latest posts

Back