Introducing Stanley Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiptracer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've joined this forum because my partner and I recently adopted an elderly rescue rabbit. We live in Melbourne, Australia.

We've named him Stanley (he was previously called Mr Bunny), and even though we've had him for three short weeks, he's pretty much the apple of our eye.
Stan had been at the shelter for a year, following the passing of his former elderly owner. Judging from his temperament and behaviour, I am guessing that he wasn't handled much, nor really let out of his enclosure. He's extremely wary of venturing off any any carpeted areas (we have put down towels and carpet squares for him to explore, although he seldom leaves a certain area) and seems to be unaccustomed to human company - he doesn't really like being stroked or picked up. Due to his age and the fact that we don't know what he has been through, we let him do his own thing. If he comes to us for pats, he gets attention lavished on him - if he wants to flop in the corner, then we give him his space.

Since coming to us he's gained a healthy amount of weight and enjoys a run around in our enclosed courtyard (he is an indoor rabbit and just goes outside for exercise in the afternoon, when we can supervise). He's on a special diet due to his age and some questionable blood test results about 6 months ago, but other than a slight stasis scare in his first week with us, everything is going great.

I've joined this forum hoping to hear from any other bunny owners who have experience with older buns. I'm hoping that I can form a really solid bond with Stan and have him really trust and love us - at the moment it's slow going, but it's incredibly rewarding.

Photo 23-02-2014 9 31 39 pm (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks just like our old boy Ted. He was also very old when he came to us, but, he was such a unique little man. Just take your time and always let him come to you. Ours love to have their head and cheek rubbed at the same time. Most of ours have grown used to us over the years, so, I can hold their head in my hand and rub the neck and a couple even like getting belly rubs--not all of course, and it takes time and patience.

Thanks Nancy! He is also our first bun so it's all new to us. I never want to make him feel scared or unsafe so we let him approach us - if he has retreated to his hutch or a quiet corner then we leave him be until he feels ready to be a little more social. He really has so much character already - he's quite the old man (hence his name - both of my grandfathers were named Stanley :) ) and can be really opinionated! We get lots of foot stomps at the moment.

It's hard to know how much longer he'll be with us, but we are really hoping we can give him a loving environment to live out his 'golden years'. Ideally would love him to be a little more affectionate but he's been through a lot in his life, and he's got his own personality - which I do not expect him to change just for my convenience. It really is wonderful having him around.

Ello mate! Hee :)

Wonky ears are the best. Temperamentally, what you described seems pretty typical of most buns - they like to do their own thing. Real affectionate "cuddle bunnies" are very rare, and most rabbits hate being picked up even when they've been voraciously handled all their lives. *side-eyes own bunnies*

It's a good sign that he's still a hearty and opinionated old grump...sounds like he's got a few years left in him yet!

Hi hi!

That's good to know - the woman at the shelter described him as "a bunny that loves cuddles & is very affectionate" but the longer we have had him the more we realise he's an independent gentleman that likes to romp around on his own - which is fine by us! I can't help but wonder if perhaps he was quite depressed at the shelter. They do a wonderful job there, and even though he was cage free and allowed to roam around - he didn't. I now realise that this is probably because he was on a slippery surface, which we have come to understand he hates - so he had no means to actually romp about, and would stick to his small carpeted area. My guess is that he was bored and as such fairly docile, hence being "receptive" to the cuddles. He also didn't have the opportunity to try and escape the cuddles, due to the floor surface he was on. But this is just a guess.

We actually have seen him binky ONCE (which I am pretty impressed with, given that we were told he may be arthritic) and I keep trying to create new games for him/areas for him to explore in the hopes that we might see more soon.

Pretty accurate guess if you ask me. Bunnies do hate slippery surfaces. If we lift one of the buns up on the marble kitchen counter, they just go splay-legged immediately, and lie there glaring up at us.

Also, the two of em like to follow me around the mostly carpeted house (because they love me, I like to boast - but no, the truth is that I'm the one who feeds them, so they think I'm some sort of magic food dispenser that they must never let out of their sight) but not into the tiled bathrooms. So when I'm sitting on the throne, there are always two furry little bodyguards right outside. It's amusing, but now I doubt I could possibly feel right pooping without them staring at me.

that is the cutest thing ever! Stan hasn't got to that point yet (although our house is floorboards throughout so he may never follow us about- we now have "bunny boardwalks" aka towels all over the floor) but he does get pretty excited when we wake up in the morning - he knows this means food!

Bunny boardwalks, that's adorable! Sound like something I would do and my husband would totally hate.

Consider plonking down a couple of rugs for Stanley! Bunnies do tend to get under your feet if you're not careful, but hanging out with them all around the house is pretty cool, not to mention the hilarity when they "bunny race" from room to room, ears flopping crazily. I wouldn't trade our ****ty carpets for all the lacquered mahogany parquet flooring in the world :)

Definitely! We are on the look out for some nice cheap-ish, (machine washable!) rugs - Stan happens to have the odd accident here and there which doesn't bother me at all because it's easy to clean, but not having to take rugs to a dry cleaners all the time would be awesome. I'm still not sure if he will ever get to a point where he hops around the house - he seems to have a comfort zone that he likes sticking to. Occasionally he'll venture a little further than usual, but if my partner or I give him even the slightest bit of attention - even a glance in his direction - he bounds back to his little corner of the house (which happens to be under our stairs).

I'm sure he'll get more adventurous in time, it can take a couple of months for bunnies to really feel secure in a new home. He'll learn fast that you mean him no harm and it's alright to approach you. It's amazing how smart these tiny buggers are, they can recognise different humans and remember what they're like. Mine will follow me anywhere because I'm a big soft sap who lets them walk all over me, but when the bunnies and I are in the bedroom and my husband appears in the doorway - BAM - the bunnies shoot out immediately, because they know hubby HATES them being in the bedroom and will definitely growl at them and chase them out (he's paranoid they'll pee on the bed). Once outside of the bedroom, they know hubby's all good and will even follow him around sometimes.

So give it time, don't get discouraged that Stanley's a little cautious and skittish right now. He's still getting to know you!

Wow Hi Skiptracer and Stanley Welcome to the forum.I am a new bunny mom myself and it's great :)
It looks like ol Stanley is settling in though coming out lil by lil is the way Stewie did it too.He is way over the intimiation of everything now granted your bun is older but i think with all buns they have to be left to decide what they feel comfortable with and with time he should become more receptive to you and your boyfriend.My boyfriend and i have had Stewie here with us for almost 2 months now and there are still things that he is a lil unsure of yet....It all takes time and patience but well worth it. :bunny18

Hi & :welcome1
Glad you & Stanley have joined us at RO! Stanley is quite the handsome fellow! I want to compliment you with your bunnitude aka bunny attitude! So often people get disappointed if their bunny or even other pet doesn't "behave" exactly like other or what they think it should. I'm sure Stanley will blossom with your patience & accepting him as well as allowing him to set the pace & guide you with your interactions. Hope you will have many healthy happy years together! If you have questions or need help, RO has many experienced people to give you great advice. Hope you & Stanley will feel at home here. This is my bunny girls & my online bunny home! Nice to meet you & Stanley!

Hello, welcome to RO. Stanley is quite the handsome guy, love those ears. It sounds like he is learning to adjust and enjoy life outside of a shelter. I adopted my bunny from the local SPCA almost a month ago. She has some agression issues that we are working on. I am doing the same things that you are and she has really started to open up. I wish you continued luck with your little guy.

Thank you everyone! It's so nice to hear words of encouragement from you all, it really means a lot! I'm really looking forward to getting to know the forum (and all of you!) a little bit better :)

Stanley has progressed SO much in the last week - we've been getting regular binky outbursts and he's become much more confident. It's really wonderful to witness :bunny18

:yes:...YAY glad to hear that Stanley is coming out of his shell...Awesome news :D.

The binkies are awesome aren`t they ....I have had my bun for only 2 months and just witnessed his first Binky yesterday..It was great :bunny24

Apologies for being a little late with the welcome, but it seems you've settled in well here and it really sounds like Stanley is settling in well too. It's so fantastic to hear that he's doing binkies and exploring more, it's amazing how much bunnies can come out of their shell once they're in a safe and loving environment. Also, lots of respect to you for adopting a senior bunny :)

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, Stan has taken a turn over the last 24 hours. We had him to the vets yesterday, and all his tests came back clear. But something seems very wrong with our little man, and we're really worried. Will keep you updated.

Back