Introducing Oreo and Buddy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
Well let this be a warning to other ppl who are trying to bond rabbits, just because your rabbit is a complete sweetie, gives kisses to you and lets you cuddle him, does not mean he will be a sweetie to another rabbit!

I tried to introduce Oreo and Buddy and my sweet little Oreo was not so nice to Buddy. Buddy went into the submissive position right away and explored Oreo. Oreo didn't like that at all. There was a fight. Fur flew and the two rabbits were in some sort of roll. Good thing I had oven mitts.I seperated them right away. Both are okay. Buddy is a little scared. I examined them thoroughly by running my hands over them and then visually inspecting them. I tried to calm Buddy down as best as I could. Gave him cilantro and pet him for an hour.

Now I feel so sorry for trying to introduce them because of how scared Buddy is.

So it looks like we might be keeping the two pairs seperate. Which is finewith me. I was always fully prepared to do this right from the start. Unless more experienced members advise me differently, I don't think I will be attempting the introduction again.

Shannon

Ahh, don't give up so soon!

Quite normal behavoir really, obviously wasn't love at first sight, but with some working I think it could work! Just have to find a different approach..

I've had rabbits getting into bad fights then turn out to fall madly in love and bond. My Pebbles and Georgie are still in the tussling/fighting stage at the moment, but just be consistent and you'll eventually be rewarded :D.

Was the introduction in complete neutral territory? Might help to put the two in a laundry basket and carry them around, I've never had fighting in the basket and it's a great way to start offbonding.

Definetly don't give up! It can take from weeks to months! Keep us updated on their progress.

Alright, I won't give up but I am going to wait another two weeks or so before I reintroduce. Or I might start using to cages or something and put them in the hallway for about ten minutes. I will wait another two weeks but when I do start I will reintroduce everday I guess.

I just thought the fighting was a bad sign and honestly it sort of scared me . It was two rabbits in a rabbit ball, fur was flying everywhere and I think Buddy was really scared. I had no idea Oreo could be like that. Oreo is the biggest suck of them all. He lets me pick him up, doesn't fight it at all then literally acts like a baby when I snuggle him.

I know this might seem silly but last night I felt like I failed them. I am supposed to be the provider and protector and make sure that they are safe and I felt I put them into this situation (which I didn't know that Oreo would react that way at all) and Buddy got so scared! And I got so mad at Oreo! I felt like I failed the rabbits. I pet Buddy for an hour and kept saying "Momma is sooo sorry"

Shannon

This is really unknown to me. I have now 14 rabbits all in one cage. Males separated from females of corse, but none of them have fought or even thought about it. It's really cute acctually because I find them all in the same corner alot.

Bonding large groups can actually be in some caseseasier than bonding pairs. We have a group of 9 all bonded at the shelter. Fits in with the 'herd' mentality and they quite easily fall into the structure of the group, and a lot of the time live in harmony as larger groups :).

Shannon,

Are both boys neutered? Boys will be harder to bond (usually) and it will be impossible if they aren't neutered. Try starting out slower, instead of introducing them right off put them in cages right next to each other, so they can sniff and see each other but not fight. Do this for a few days at least, and then do make sure they meet on neutral territory. I know that can be hard when one or both are used to roaming the house, but it is important. Good luck on your next try!

Latest posts

Back