Introducing new rabbit to a very playful hyper 4yr cat??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxviroxx1

Reaction score
Hi guys and gurls, so I've finally got a bunny after a year of thinking about it (convincing my partner). If any one has any tips on introducing my cat Paul to simba any help would be great Paul (cat) is very very playful and hyper I've only had simba (bunny) for just 3 days he's already has a big personality and is very very confident he's 14 weeks old.

So far I'm letting Paul go up to simbas cage as and when he pleases apart from if I'm out or bed time, interaction seems good so far. Both seem very interested in each other sniffing through bars Paul been talking to bunny soft mews (how he would great me when I get home) also playfully touching bars and flopping on his side as to say I want to play. (It could be I want to eat you I hope not)

I would like some help with when will I know it's the right time for them to meet with out bars? I was thinking a few months or more

Also how would you suggest to do this?

And what to do if it goes wrong?

Thank you and sorry for so many questions

Is Paul much of a hunter? (E.g. does he kill mice and such?) Personally, I have a VERY active 4 year old cat (Mushroom) who is so kind to the rabbits. She will chase one of my rabbits (Whiskey), but he always starts it by chasing her first and a game of tag ensues. With these two specifically, I totally trust my cat. However, she's been around rabbits since she was 2-3 weeks old.

When they meet, please monitor them for at least a few weeks to make sure Paul isn't going to try to hunt Simba if Simba decides to run or binky. That's the trigger for a lot of predators. It sounds like the interactions have been good between them so far- I'd be worried if Paul begins to crouch, chatter, etc. when he sees Simba.

I have a feeling some other people on here have more experience with this- I'm just lucky to have a cat who was raised with many small animals and pretty much only 'hunts' string and cat nip toys. :p

Aww thnx for the info, no he doesn't hunt (unless human legs count) as he's a indoor kitty he has sooo many allergies the vets said it will be best to keep him in :( , but he does rough play with us so we keep his claws clipped. I've attached a pic of when they first met Thursday. Ooooo how could I forget barry (the hamster) he passed last year good age of 4yrs Paul was perfect with him I could have him out in his ball or running freely on the sofa with no problems.

IMG_3768.jpg

OH MY THEY ARE BOTH SO CUTE. Generally, if a cat is good with a hamster, I would assume a cat would be good with a rabbit too.

Here's a picture of Whiskey and Mushroom (Brandy, my other rabbit, basically hates them both because she's a snob. :p) I love this picture of these two and I've shared it a few times on here I think.

4-19.jpg

It is really best to NOT allow them to be loose together.
Something wont go wrong until it does and then it's too late.

Allowing the cat to interact with you right there is 1 thing, they should never be loose together unless you are arms distance from the cat and rabbit and know how to read feline behaviour.

The rabbit needs a cat free area to run around and enjoy safely.

Simba has this area currently all to himself, but I would like for him to be able to chill in the lounge with all of us in the evenings eventurely. abit like when I was younger a lived with my mum we had a house bunny called bugs who was a giant French lop and she would chill with the 2 dogs a two cats she roamed the whole house let out in the morning and put to bed at night.

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

Yes, i agree with Watermelons.
Peanut (my cat) is never allowed with the bunny unsupervised, mainly because Andy chases Peanut lol.
But even if Andy didn't chase peanut, they would not be allowed together unsupervised. Better safe then sorry.
if your around them, then its perfectly fine, just make sure you can keep an eye on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back