Introducing Nala and Noonoo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dittani

Reaction score
I promise that i'll get some more recent pictures of my babies up soon, I just have to wait to get my roll of film developed. I only have my cameraphone in the meantime, which explains the poor quality of the picture in my avatar.
That picture was taken a few weeks after we got Noonoo and Nala, though at the time they were named Gur and Gus (put the kettle on and settle yourself in for a long story ;))

My friend bought this adorable little mini-lop, and seems as I was looking for a pet at the time, just looking at this cute bundle of fluff pursuaded me to get one too! I researched bunnies obsessively for a few weeks, found a good vet, bought a cage and it's accoutrements, and pretty much acted like an expectant mother. The day finally arrived when my fiance and I could go get a liccle one, and then we got to the pet store.... It was the most awful pet store i've ever been to. Animals were crammed in everywhere, it was over 90 degrees, it smelled disgusting, and in the bunny 'pen' (it was a plastic fish tank with litter all over the bottom and an empty water dish) were two tiny little black rabbits. Even though it was so hot and they were stretched out, panting, with their eyes closed, they were spooning each other.. :tears2:
They looked so sad and hot and miserable, I just took one look at my fiance and we knew that we had to take both of them. I couldn't have taken one and not the other - they just looked to adorable together, and I couldn't imagine how lonely and horrible the remaining bunny's life would have been in that HORRID pet store.
Of course, when we brought two babies home, we were completely unprepared because everything we had bought was for one bunny. We had to run to petsmart to get another cage the same as the one we'd already bought, then take the ends off both of them and wire them togther. Of course, our two 'boys' quickly out-grew these glorified litterboxes that petsmart claimed were 'cages', and we had to build them a new one, but that comes later. :D

As I said, we were told that we had two little boys by the pet store manager (whom I thoroughly told-off about the conditions they were kept in, don't worry), which was later verified by a vet, so we named them Gus and Gur. The vet also told us that both of them had respiratory infections (undoubtedly from the pet store), and prescribed antibiotics and told us to come back in two weeks. Two weeks later, the vet is convinced that both of them were actually FEMALE, and told us that he was 90% certain of this.

About 2 weeks afterwards, 'Gur' discovered 'her' strong back legs and jumped onto the coffee table, where 'she' proceeded to find and knock to the floor a package of chocolate chip cookies... I left the study to go check on the bunnies, only to find both of them chowing down on double choc-chip-chunk cookies. My vet was closed, so I had to rush them to the emergency exotic vet, who kept them under observation and gave them plenty of fluids, as well as performed a thorough check up. Their female sex was confirmed, yet again.

Fast forward another week. My fiance and I are sat watching TV, minding our own business, and the bunnies are happily frolicing around the place. All of a sudden, 'Gur' mounted 'Gus', and they started doing the nasty!! Adam and I were just like :shock: 'IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING???!!!' and I lift 'Gur' off of 'Gus'. I look down to see a little pink penis retreating to it's furry enclave, and I FREAK THE HELL OUT!!!. Another trip to the emergency vet later, and THE VET STILL THOUGHT HE WAS A GIRL!!! I told her about the little pink penis, and she just shrugged it off and said 'i'm pretty sure that we learned how to sex animals in veterinary school'. :mad:

So we decide to change vets - not only the stupid one we first went to, but the emergency vet who basically called me an idiotic liar. (Like i'd make something like that up, for crap's sake...). We found another vet, who was really kind, very understanding, and really knew what she was talking about. She didn't even charge us for the initial exam because we'd been through so many vet visits thus far. She also swore that she could feel female parts in 'Gur', so we booked them in to be spayed and she informed us that both bunnies had an inner ear infection that would need to be flushed.
Fast forward another few weeks. We take our two 'girls' in for their surgery, and whilst the vet is examining them again, she says 'uh oh'.... I'm like 'Uh oh?! I don't like hearing that!'. The vet says 'Gur's testicles have just descended...she's a boy!'.
So now we have a boy and a girl... :foreheadsmack:

Tune in next time Dittani can be bothered to update to find out what happened when Noonoo and Nala were reunited with a long-lost littermate!!!
:D It's seriously like a soap opera, isn't it?!

Hi, I'm looking forward to more of the love story. You are a very good writer.

Soooska:apollo:

So have you ever daydreamed about what it would be like if your bunnies were reunited with their long-lost brothers and sisters? Cute little bundles of fluff running up to each other, sniffing and kissing and grooming each other - 'where've you been?!!' - then playing tag for a little bit and flomping down in a big cuddle puddle?

About a month ago, I bunny-sat two of my friend's bunnies whilst she went on holiday for a week. She has one tiiiiny dwarf hotot named Hinada who think's he's the biggest, meanest bunny on the block, and Gara, a small black and white mini lop that also happens to be a littermate of Noonoo and Nala. Hinada is a little grump who stays in his cage all the time and bites anyone who goes near him, so looking after him was easy. Gara, on the other hand, is the sweetest, most loving little bunny God ever put breath into. Even if you're a complete stranger, upon meeting you she'll run up to you, kiss you, groom you and fuss you then fall asleep in your arms whilst purring (yes, she purrs).
I had cute little daydreams like the one I described above of our bunnies (with the exception of grumpy) being one big, happy family again. No such luck.

We put Hinada and Gara's cages into our bunnies room, and we waited to see what would happen. Even with the bunnies all locked in their cages, it was mayhem. Hinada tried to act like a general and started stomping, grunting, rattling the bars of his cage, running around his cage like a madman. Gara saw the other bunnies and tried to run to them even though bars were in the way (but knowing her, she was trying to love them, not charge them). Noonoo and Nala started fighting with one another, something they've NEVER done before, and also running around and stomping like crazy things. So we decided that putting them in the same room was not a good idea, even if they were all in their seperate cages, so the visitors were promptly removed to the dining room, where they could have free roam of the south side of the house; our bunnies had the north side.

Everything was going swimmingly until cage-cleaning day arrived. I was travelling from room to room, when Noonoo slipped between my feet and ran into the dining room. Hinada charged out of his cage (despite the fact that Noonoo is easily twice his size), and Gara immediately ran up to Noonoo and bowed down. Now, this all happened in a split second, and my arms were full of bags of hay, litter, trash etc. I just blinked incredulously for a second and then threw everything to the floor. Noonoo was clearly considering Gara's expression of submission and didn't do anything to either effect, when Hinada (the little jerk) comes charging up to Noonoo, teeth bared.

You know when cartoon characters like Tom & Jerry or Itchy & Scratchy get into fights, it's just one rolling round cloud with fists and legs and ears intermittently popping out the sides? That's what the ensuing fight looked like. It was just a rolling ball of bunnies with fluff flying everywhere, ears, teeth, legs, paws flaying all over the place. :shock: I screamed and shot my arm into the middle of the fray to break it up, and sustained quite a few bad bites and scratches because of it. Gara ran back to her cage and hid in her igloo, but I had to grab Noonoo before he killed Hinada or something. The dining room carpet was literally covered in white fur (obviously indicating that Noonoo was winning the fight...) to the extent that i'm surprised the other bunnies had any fur left. It was the scariest thing i've ever seen; three sweet little bundles of love had turned into vicious fighting machines - teeth bared, whites of their eyes showing, ears pinned to their backs... *shudder*... I never want to see my bunny look like that again. He looked posessed.

Upon closer examination, with the exception of a few patches of missing fur and a wounded sense of pride and self-importance, Hinada was fine. Gara sustained a bruise and scratch on her side, which healed within a few days - poor thing. Noonoo was absolutely fine, and just a little more cocky about him being the bunny of the house.

So the moral of the story is: bunnies fight with family worse than humans do. ;)

The bunnies had their first bath the other day - I wish I'd had the chance to take pictures! :D We just filled the tub up a tiny bit with lukewarm water, then plopped them in one at a time. They'd never been in water before, so Noonoo was like 'what the hell?!' but Nala freaked out and tried to scramble her way up the sides of the tub. I just put my hand over her eyes while my fiance splashed her butt and 'undercarriage'. Noonoo was more curious than scared, but did try and scramble once we tried to get water on his butt.

They both thoroughly enjoyed being blow-dryed (on warm, of course) and groomed, and I think that they could get used to the star-bunny pampering day spa ;) With the exception of the water part, that is...

I wouldn't advise giving a rabbit a bath. Most rabbits don't like being in water and can even go into shock. And giving them a bath is usually unecesary. If a rabbit is dirty it is usually advised to just get a damp cloth and wipe the bunny with that. Of give it a dry bath using corn starch.

Love hearing about your bunnies! I know from personal experience what a rabbitfight looks like....I had one when I brought what I thought to be a little girl home to my little boy. Fur everywhere!

Do your bunnies butts smell? Is that why you were bathing them? I cant remember if you said if they were neutered/spayed, but that helps with the scent. I tried to give my Basil a bath before I knew how traumatic it can be, and he almost died of fright. I felt terrible for not knowing this. As was said, a damp cloth usually works best. What kind of litter are you using? Changing it might help too.

Cant wait to see some more pics of your little babies!

-Haley

I made sure that the water was barely enough to even cover the bottom of the tub (like, a few mm's), and it was lukewarm.

Neither of them smell at all, but the day that we gave them a bath, one of them peed on the plastic mat next to their litter box (?), and it was a pretty huge puddle. When I went in to feed them in the morning, Nala ran to the litterbox, stepping in huge puddle of pee on the way. Then Noonoo followed her, and actually sat down on the edge of the puddle, soaking it up. His bum was literally soaked with urine. :disgust: The thick, coarse fur on Nala's hocks was also soaked in pee. I'm affraid that simply 'wiping them with a damp cloth' wouldn't have cut it in this instance. A bath was necessary, so a bath they got! ;)

I forgot who suggested it initially but you know what works GREAT for getting out pee stains is white vinegar and cornstarch. That stuff is awesome. I used it on my bunny Marshy because she is always getting pee on herself and it works wonders. She has white fur so i was scared that it wouldn't come out but every time i do it more comes out. (its a really bad stain :?) I have to do it every day for her butshe's really good about it. it takes the smell out really well too.

Ooh, thank you for that suggestion. Obviously my bunnies don't have the pee stain problem ;), but i'll definately suggest that to my friend who one white and one black & white bunny.

Dittani wrote:
Noonoo and Nala started fighting with one another, something they've NEVER done before, and also running around and stomping like crazy things.
We tried taking homea new bunny one time (a black lop, sigh!), and every time Wesley smelt this new bunny, he would attack Jordi. I didn't understand it. I wonder if it's jealousy? Very curious.

I'm glad everybunny escaped from the fight with hardly any damage done.

I put it down to the fact that with new bunnies around, Noonoo just went mad with trying to ascert his dominance, so he even started fighting with Nala. :?

Latest posts

Back