Introducing greens.......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
What kinda greens do you start off to give yourrabbit? And can he have a carrot now he is about 5 mo. Howoften do you give them greens...after you introduce them to it? Do somegive greens to there rabbits everyday? I know treats should be given inmoderation..Thanks! You all are so helpful on here:)

Yes i feed some greens ,dandelions, carrots etc.Istart with one baby carrot,or one dandelion leaf.they can have itdaily. any time you notice diahhrea cut back or stop the greens.bluebird

Hi Loz,

As long as the dandilions aren't sprayed/treated with pesticides, it's okay. If treated, don't let the rabbits at them.

-Carolyn :)

NewMommieof4,

*laughs* That's too cool! It's so much fun when they get excited likethat. I know exactly what you mean. It's really hard to remember"moderation" at that time because you're both having so much fun.

-Carolyn

We eat a lot of fruits and veggies so the bunnsget a good share too. My children won't eat apple peels sothe bunns get those and of course when I slice up watermelon I cut abit for them too, I haven't given them the rind though cause I don'tknow if it is ok or not. Strawberries they get the green topsand I'm generous when I cut them off!! :D Carrots afterwashing and scrubbing good I peel themwith a potato peeler(makes thicker peels) and the bunns get those. All the leafyparts of celery or the really thin or wide stalks, stuff you can't fillwith PB or cheese!! The leafy parts off of broccoli aretheirs. And we buy things like fresh spinach, parsley andcilantro just for them, but they only get a small plate full total eachday it is a part of their regular diet. The girls pickDandilions for them too wich they love, we don't use pesticides so theyare ok, if we are at my sisters they pick hers too!! Any oneknow about kiwi fruit can they eat them once in a while?Mostly they get the peels of fruits peeled thickly of course and aftervigorous scrubbing to make sure they are clean. We also buymost of our fruits and veggies from a small fresh produce market,better quality and price!

Greetings Mom2Many, :cool:

How's the family doing? Are those bellies on the babies nice roundballs and warm in the mornings? Is Sundae a good mom? Are you havingfun yet????

I quoted this site on the Treats post. Sorry for those who are hearingme repeat myself. Check out: http://earthhome.tripod.com/rabsafe.html

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
How's the family doing? Are those bellies on the babies nice roundballs and warm in the mornings? Is Sundae a good mom? Are you havingfun yet????

Family is great, the babies are doing fantastic, my brother was heretoday when I checked on them and he couldn't believe how much they havegrown in just 3 days!! They have fat little tummies and areall snuggly and warm. Sundae is a great mommy!!When i check on the babies she hops out of her nest and then peeks overthe side and noses my hand :p Hops back in and noses me againas if to say " are you finished admiring my beautiful babies yet?" LOL,Definatley having fun!!

JMPO,

as far as any HRS diet plan goes, I do NOT place too much credibilityin it! They might be fine for a Pet rabbit which is often fed to it'sdemise. You can easily KILL a rabbit [Your Pet!] with kindness. Petrabbits fed under theHRS guidelines are also the rabbits that have themost frequent boughts of GIstasis and other Gasto Intestinal disorders!Why is that? Things that make you say Hmm? Anyway I do think thatVegetables and fruits are fine on ocassion but one must pay closeattention to any adverse reactions which may come about. Everything inmoderation! I'll stick to a basic diet of a quality Pelleted rabbitfeed, grasshay & Water. It works for me! To each their own.Thanks for allowing my opinion.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Wow, HankHanky! :shock: This is an interesting observation.

I feed Sherman by HRS guidelines:

Breakfast--2 baby carrots, 1/4 cup pellets

Timothy hay free range all day long

Dinner--Large bowl of mixed greens

Fresh water available all day long

Occasional treats (parsley, raisins, and some fruit now and then)

Are you saying that this isn't a healthy regimen? I see thatyou're a vet and your opinion carries some weight.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Bunnymommy!

Dennis isn't a vet. C.V.R. is the initials of his rabbitry.

You might want to read what Buck Jones hadsaid on a previous board.

-Carolyn

That diet thing HANKhANKY mentioned is quite a bone of contentionamongst rabbit fanciers, pet owners, breeders, and even countries.People in the U.K. are more prone to feed "natural" foods, such asgrass, for example or fruits and vegetables because that is thetraditional practice and pelleted feed, such as we are familiar withhere in the U.S., is not as easily obtainable.

In the U.S., most fanciers, breeders, and laboratories rely on acomplete, balanced, pelleted feed because it is available, inexpensive,convenient for their purposes and it has been a common practice for thepast 20-30 years. Some pet owner organizations, such as the HouseRabbit Society, however, advocate less pellets, or no pellets in thediet and more natural foods as being more healthy.

The arguement continues with little resolution in sight. I have beenkeeping rabbits on pelleted feed for about eight years now, and havebeen thinking about the question for some time. While I have made noconcrete conclusions yet, I have made a few observations.

The longest lived bunny on record, one Flopsy, a "wild" rabbit that wasadopted by an Australian family and grew to the ripe old age of 18years 10 mos 21 days, ate local grass and hay his owners provided fromtheir farm. They fed no pelleted feed. Although "wild," he was of thesame species as our own domestic buns in the UK and USA.

Pelleted feed enables rabbits to grow and make weight quickly,efficiently and inexpensively. It addition, it enables them to reachprime condition within a relatively short time. All these attributesare certainly of value to the knowledgeable breeder and fancier, whomight be interested in showing, and the average lab, that wants healthyrabbits,but I don't know that they are particularly interested inrabbits' longevity. In their satisfaction with the practicality ofpelleted feed, I think they might be missing some of positive aspectsof the long term effects of a more natural diet.
Bottom line, in nature, rabbits eat most any plant life they can gettheir little mouths on, yet they don't seem to live very long, either.Is that due more to to natural predation, or dietary factors? I suspectthe former, but can not conclude, therefore, that their diet isnecessarily the better one. A more "natural" diet just seems morecommon sensical to me, yet I know of rabbits who were ailing with sucha diet, and did perfectly well on a pelleted diet.

For the time being, I will continue to feed a mostly pelleteddiet,supplemented with timothy hay and some occasional greens, fruitsand vegetables as the more prudent course of action. Moderation is thekey, and not starting the young buns off to soon on the greenmatter.

-Buck

For a rabbit that is 5 mo old should youkeephis food in his cage allday long? I keep timothy hay inthere 24 -7 and well i keep his food in there also 24 7.Should I just feed him in the am and pm??!!

No,

I never said I was a Vet. The initials C.V.R. after my name stand forMy Rabbitry name: Crescent Valley Rabbitry. However, I stand by my over14 years in the Rabbit hobby working with 4Hers for thirteen of thoseyears as a Rabbit club leader and the Cooperative Externsions RabbitAdvisor for my County. I NEVER say that one must do as I do or say. Ionly put forth a viable explaination and or choice. Even Buck Joneschooses to feed the Pelleted Diet to his rabbits. As for Pelleted feedbeing CHEAP! Well I guess that all depends on the quality of Pelletedfeed that you purchase or the going price in your neck of the woods. Ifeed my rabbits a quality Pelleted feed which seems to go up in priceon a constant basis. I suppose that everything is in the eye of thebeholder. My rabbits are rarely if ever Ill. they are fairing wellraise their Kits to weaning. I give minimal medications. Choosing toonly medicate if I see a problem and only those things which aretreatable and will effect a complete CURE! Cure is the key here, I donot retain sickly animals. How would that help my breeding program. Iwant to consistantly IMPROVE. My Satins improve with every breeding. Irefuse to take any steps backwards. I constantly strive to move aheadat this point I feel I am doing just that. I have no need to compromisemy rabbits by loading them up with [IMPO]useless vegetables.As I have stated previously fruits & vegetables have theirplace as an ocassional treat, but NOT as an integral part of my rabbitsnutritionally balanced diet. Like I said, It works for me! You arewelcome to use the HRS diet and I wish you all the best. Thanks foronce again allowing my opinion.

Dennis,C.V.R. http://www.angelfire.come.ny2/crescentvalley

Hi NewMommieof4,

Generally speaking from 28-52 weeks old, 1/2 cup ofpelletsper 6 lbs. of body weight; a year to 5 years old is1/4 cup per 6 lbs. of body weight.

It's a personal choice as to when you feed the little one. Itry to stick to certain times so the little guy knows when to expect it.

-Carolyn

BunnyMommy,

From our resident expert:pam Nock

Also, Pam, I'm curious about something and wonderif you know the answer. Since the British culture seems tofeed their rabbits more forage than we suggest in America, I'mwondering if there is a difference in lifespan? Do you haveany idea or thoughts about that?

Thanks,
-Carolyn

Good morning Carolyn!

Diet and lifespan: Certainly obesity can shorten the lifespanof a rabbit by putting more stress on the body systems.However, genetics do play a major role in longevity. Rabbitsare a prey animal and do not have a very long natural lifespan.

Pam Nock

Latest posts

Back