Introducing Cat to Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kagerod

Reaction score
So long story short, my friend needed a place for this little 1 year old kitten named Lola to stay. Lola is not yet fixed, very curious, and more or less fearless.

I already have three rabbits, and I know that rabbits and cats get along. However, my rabbits are... well, they don't like anyone besides each other, it sometimes feels like.

The three rabbits are happy just getting food and treats and the ability to run around to explore safely. It took me the better part of a year to get them used to my presence to let me give them treats, and to clean their cage with minimal stress.

This cat freaks them out. I try to keep Lola out of their room, but due to the way wires run through my house, I can't close the door to their room, and the one place I can keep Lola closed up is my bedroom, where I hardly ever spend time. I live in a pretty small apartment as well. Every time the cat does go in, I will sit with them and watch, but usually the rabbits stomp their feet and hide. It's like when I first got them, how scared they were and hid all the time. It's even reverted where, if I go in to feed them, they freeze and stare at me, half-expecting the cat to come back.

I honestly don't know how to get them to share. Honestly, I adore all four of these animals... but it's been so nice to have Lola's company and cuddliness, something I definitely do not get from the rabbits. In a perfect world, they'd get along.

Any advice on how to try and achieve that? I'll take the time, but I just don't think the usual ways that I read online will help - I can't hold the bunnies without them freaking, and I can't exactly keep them apart for much longer.

My only suggestion would be to try offering treats to them when the cat's in the room, though they have to come out of hiding to be given the treat. Otherwise, I've not had any experience with it so can't help beyond that.

I would try putting the cat in their room in a carrier and just letting them get used to your cats smell. The rabbits reaction is totally normal. They smell predator and their reaction is to get away from it in order to survive. Their confidence needs to be built up that the cat will not do harm to them. Agree with treats but try it when the cat is in the carrier. If that still is too much try putting a towel or sheet over the carrier. They know the cat is there but to associate the smell with good things like treats is very important. Slowly reintroduce the cat to them by maybe having it on a leash so it is not free roaming. Sooner or later their confidence will increase and they should learn the cat is not there to hurt them. Take baby steps with this since your buns are so cautious. How they are reacting is perfectly normal we just need to show them there is no harm that will come to them.

Second that idea for the cat being in a carrier (need to make sure the cat isn't going to meow it's head off in distress though, I know some cats get really noisy in carriers) then it can't come up to the cages etc and scare them more.

I agree with the carrier idea as a good way to introduce the bunnies to the cat. But I would add here that while the cat may not intentionally hurt a bunny, cats do play using their claws & teeth. Cat saliva can be deadly to other animals such as birds & bunnies. Also, the cat might even think it is a game when the rabbits run to hide. So I'm really at a loss as to how to advise you to keep everyone healthy & happy. Hope some more members here can share their experience with adding a cat to their bunny family.

Yay that actually would help I think. Well, it will once she's fixed (right now she yowls more or less always, but the kennel itself doesn't make her cry).

I think it will only be temporary, as we're looking for a proper, permanent home for Lola. However, that could be a ways away, and I'd like to be able to take down some of the barriers.

Thank you so much for all your help. <3

I kinda went through something similar, except both my rabbit and my cat are extremely laid back so I thought there wouldn't be many issues. Leo, my cat, is seven years old and my baby. He spends about 99% of his day just laying around in my room. I got Crixus, my rabbit back in August. As soon as I brought Crixus home, Leo left my bedroom and did not come back for four months! He would occasionally come in my room, and once he saw the rabbit he would get this crazy scared look in his eye and run away. Mind you, this is a cat that was best friends with my three rats, I thought there would be no issue with a rabbit.
My advice would to be just give them both a lotttt of attention. I learned that if I pet Leo to comfort him, my rabbit would jump around like a fool to get my attention and scare the cat, and if I pet my rabbit, the cat would come up and smack him. (Not hard, and he does not have front claws). I just started petting them both at the same time and giving them treats.
This along with patience worked wonders. They are now actually best friends believe it or not, just stick with it and be patient:]

Oh my Gosh! Those pictures of Leo and Crixus are soooo CUTE!!! :) And with his little paw on him like 'Stay back! This is MY bunny!'.

PeytonCara: LOL, the kitty got jealous. Those are cute pics.

As for introducing rabbits to a cat, I think the main thing is getting them used to cat smell. My rabbits aren't afraid of cats, but that's because I've always had them. But if I pet a dog and my rabbits smell it on me, they freak out because they're not used to the scent of dogs.

I have 2 cats and 2 rabbits, and they have interesting relationships. The one cat, Watson, is kind of nervous around the rabbits and runs away if they come at him. The other cat, Samwise, really likes the rabbits and is always sleeping next to them and "petting" their heads (they actually like it). He also grooms the rabbits sometimes. The only time the rabbits get upset is when Samwise tries to play with them - rabbits don't always like playing chase with cats! Though sometimes Lucy seems to actually like playing with the cat because she'll do binkys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back