"into pressure" animals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Has anyone read Monty Roberts' books about horsetraining? He said the most important thing to remember is that horses,as prey animals, are "into pressure" creatures. Apparently, if Iunderstand this correctly, it means that--among other things--they willlean into pressure applied to their bodies, and they will comeback if chased away. Sounds contrary to me. But anyway, he felt thatthis was a key to understanding horses and getting them to respond.

And sure enough, it works. I've tried it on my pony.

Ok, so here's the weird thing I noticed the other day....and I haven'treally figured out how to make practical use of it--but rabbits arealso "into pressure" animals. I put strong gentle pressure on Izzy'sside, and sure enough she leaned into my hand. Worked onPandemonium too. When I give a "bunny massage", they lean first one wayand then the other. It looks pretty funny, and they seem to enjoy it,feet sticking outall other the place. It's obviously a reflexthing.

Interesting, especially since rabbits are the ultimate prey animals. Wonder what some practical applications might be?

Rose

I've found some interesting parallels as we hadtrained and showed horses for many years. When posing arabbit, it needs to "give" or to relent to the pressure you are placingon its head. The result is that the rabbit will round out itsback into a desirable pose that is pleasing to the eye. Thisis the same as a horse "giving" or relenting to the bit rather thanfighting it. When a horse "gives" to the bit, it also roundsits back out and gives a smoother ride.

The parallels hold true with a rabbit or horse that is resisting thehandler. If a rabbit it pushing into your hand and resistingwhen you are attempting to pose it, the shoulders will appear low andthe back will hollow out -- the same thing that happens when a horse isleaning into and resisting the bit.

I have never read Monty Robert's book, so am not familiar with histechniques. Horses are generally trainedto relent to the trainer and move away from pressure. Anuntrained horse willoften fight and move into thepressure. I don't believe that it has anything to do withbeing a prey or predator animal. Predator animals will also"push back" or move into pressure.

Pam

That's interesting. I know dogs are like thattoo. What is the significance of this? Why would they come back afterbeing chased away?

Mocha demonstrates both of these. I'monly noticing the chasing thing now that I am bonding her toLoki. Loki, however, acts more like a cat. He evenrubs the side of his face against my hand like a cat when he wants tobe petted. I have not noticed him lean in to my hand when Istroke his back.

Although my parents' cats usually lean into my hand when they arepetted on the head or chin. I think that's more of a scentmarking thing, though.

I might have to read that book. It always looked interestingto me, but I can't afford a horse and I really miss riding, so I didn'twant to remind myself that I can't.

pamnock wrote:
I've found some interesting parallels as we had trained andshowed horses for many years. When posing a rabbit, it needsto "give" or to relent to the pressure you are placing on itshead. The result is that the rabbit will round out its backinto a desirable pose that is pleasing to the eye. This isthe same as a horse "giving" or relenting to the bit rather thanfighting it. When a horse "gives" to the bit, it also roundsits back out and gives a smoother ride.

The parallels hold true with a rabbit or horse that is resisting thehandler. If a rabbit it pushing into your hand and resistingwhen you are attempting to pose it, the shoulders will appear low andthe back will hollow out -- the same thing that happens when a horse isleaning into and resisting the bit.

I have never read Monty Robert's book, so am not familiar with histechniques. Horses are generally trainedto relent to the trainer and move away from pressure. Anuntrained horse willoften fight and move into thepressure. I don't believe that it has anything to do withbeing a prey or predator animal. Predator animals will also"push back" or move into pressure.
Pam

By now I ought to have known you'd have some interesting input, Pam.:DThe book is much more coherent about the technique than Iam though.....but anyway, I think the point was that that's a naturalresponse and the trainer's job is to overcome it. Basically what yousaid.:)

What Izzy did for mewas not so much resistance as kind of"pouring" into my hand. Hard to describe, kindof a yieldingpressure, almost unconscious. I'm sure you've seen that! Perhaps youcould describe it better.

Very fascinating, anyway. Thanks for the experience!

Rose

Latest posts

Back