Interesting noise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmos mom

Reaction score
I let Gizmo out of his cage this morning and while running around he was making low (really low) noises. They were like grunts/honking, but I'm not SURE that's what they are... that's why I am here asking you guys!

The noises are almost like someone blowing their nose really hard but much less softer.... if you know what I mean :).

Gizmo is 8 months old and no neutered which leads me to believe that he is just doing his mating thing, but he isn't circling my feet while he does it. He has never made this noise before and he simply won't stop today! He doesn't do it while he is breathing, but as soon as he is done cleaning himself, let out of his cage, running around, or put back in his cage he continuously makes this noise with only few brakes in between.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. It really isn't while he is breathing, just while he's on the move and such as I stated above.

Should I be concerned? Is a vet visit in store.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like he LOVES you. At his age and non-neutered state, honking is a sign of love, to get the ladies attracted. Some bunnies just honk too--males and females, intact and de-sexed. I know myheart's older Dutch bunny named Patrick has been neutered for quite some time now, but he still honks at her and his girlfriend bunny to show his love. My bf's bunny Frida honks when you invade her space--kinda like a growl. Tony does it to get attention.

I would just double check his nose and mouth--make sure he's breathing fine and there's no mucus or food stuck in the wrong tube. It's probably a hormonal honk, or just him being a vocal bunny!

One of my bunnies his name is Red makes this kind of noise when he is circling my feet or just running around approaching us from time to time, he does it more often some months and none in other. He is 2.7 years old. I noticed he also smells (his urine does) more than usual when this happens. This is his mating thing and he is not desexed either. The sound is really soft and some people cant hear it. I think this means that he is being a bunny boy.

Latest posts

Back