Inside to Outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
O.K. I'm changing my fulf ball rabbit (roger)from an inside rabbit to an outside. Is there any thing I need to prepare for? We have very wet and cold weather here.

Winter is not the time to move a rabbit outside. Living inside, they don't grow a winter coat, and won't be able to stay warm enough in the cold weather. You must wait until the weather is warmer.

I agree with Michaela ..

my indoor rabbits are actually shedding now.

if you are going to move them outside it should be in a more moderate temp such as spring weather....

You definitely can't do it at this time of year. That would be pretty neglectful, especially since you have been given good advice as to not put him out.

He will have an inside coat, not a coat that will keep him warm outside. He would need to completely moult mega style, and that takes a few weeks, so he would be cold for a long time, and in the worst part of the year.

You can do it come spring, (March/April depending on when it gets warmer), but you will need to make a slow transition so that he can adjust to the temperatures.

Why don't you keep him indoors in the new hutch initially to get him used to it and let him run around in the garden when it's mild during the day. Once the weather gets warmer in spring you could move the whole hutch out for good. If that's not an option maybe keep him outdoors in the hutch during the day and get him a temporary cage for indoors to sleep in.

If you have a new hutch then why not set it up inside? That way when it comes to spring you can move it out. Sorry Sabine, but whenever I have tried to give my inside buns playtime outside in the winter they just sit and shiver (so obviously I brought them back in), so if you have to do that and have him half in half out, you won't be able to do it in the severely cold weather like we are having now.

Where is he living now? How come you are moving him?

An afterthought, if he has to go outside for some of the time make sure you give him something like a Snugglesafe that holds the heat for hours (means reheating less regularly than a rice sock). This would still not make it ok for him to be outside overnight though.

Our winters can be quite mild in the double figures even. So maybe it would depend on. Snuggle safe can be ordered online from Zooplus. I got mine from there but don't really use it because mine are hardy out at this stage. But it's probably a good idea. You can also buy covers for hutches and insulate them. i have links for that if you're interested

Oh right, sorry, I just thought because the most Southern part of Ireland was level with where I live that it would be similar to me, or colder, that's all. Still not something I would recommend though.

Flashy wrote:
Oh right, sorry, I just thought because the most Southern part of Ireland was level with where I live that it would be similar to me, or colder, that's all. Still not something I would recommend though.
Our climate is influenced a lot by the Gulf stream. It's always damp and hardly below zero.The South of ireland hardly ever sees snow. Protecting from the damp is the biggest problem. Hutch covers are almost a Must. I have two i bought online and a homemade one out of a BBQ-cover:)

Sabine wrote:
Our winters can be quite mild in the double figures even. So maybe it would depend on. Snuggle safe can be ordered online from Zooplus. I got mine from there but don't really use it because mine are hardy out at this stage. But it's probably a good idea. You can also buy covers for hutches and insulate them. i have links for that if you're interested

Yeah O.K. I would love the links. O.K. people I have taken your advice we will keep him inside in his now hutch. Till march/april. And the reason we want them outside is because the kitchen is always messy with all there mess And were always sweeping up.

Just so everyone knows it is an outdoor hutch raised off the ground.

It's good you are taking the advice :) I hear what you say about it being messy though, my 7 inside buns make us knee deep in hay, lol. If it is awkward with them in the kitchen, is there anywhere else in the house they could go?

Flashy wrote:
It's good you are taking the advice :) I hear what you say about it being messy though, my 7 inside buns make us knee deep in hay, lol. If it is awkward with them in the kitchen, is there anywhere else in the house they could go?
All other areas in the house are carpeted so no. The only room with timber floor is mine but I'm asmatic so mam won't let me put them there. So the kitchen they will stay.:thanks:

Latest posts

Back