Inside a Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
Well my new bunny is in an exercise pen until the cage is ready. Which by the way is going to be attached to the xpen so he can go outside the cage whenever he wants to. But my question is am I supposed to be lining my cage with Newspaper? Also am I supposed to use the litter as bedding, lose in the cage so it is more comfortable for him? Or is it only supposed to be used for the litter box?

Shannon

I also have my rabbits in x-pen with the cage inside the pen. My rabbits use the cage just to relax in during the day. Some people use bedding like care fresh. I don't. I put the litter box inside the x-pen. Some people use litter like Yesterday's News, Care Fresh, Feline Pine and the like. Others use hay or shredded paper. One of my rabbits absolutely doesn't like Feline Pine. She will pee and poop outside the box.

Oh sorry, the cage is outside the expen, not inside it. The door of the cage is going to be attached to the door of the expen so it is sort of like an extension.

So should I put some litter/bedding in the cage so that he has something soft to lay in? Not in the litter box.

If you put litter in the cage, the bunny is probably going to see it as a giant litter box. It is best to keep a towel or a fabric scrap in the cage (as long as the bunny is not chewing it), and keep the litter in a litter box.

I go to Target and get these woven fabric floor rugs. They work wonders for my bunnies. They are very comfy to lay on and they love to chew/shred them. I have never had an issue with a internal blockage or anything from chewing these rugs....they must not be eating them.

I'm confused :?! Can you use wood chips in side the cage for bedding? Or can you just have no bedding at all?

RabbitWolf wrote:
I'm confused :?! Can you use wood chips in side the cage for bedding? Or can you just have no bedding at all?
You can, but the rabbit will most likely pee in the cage because there is "litter" in there. It is best to keep all bedding/litter in the litter box.

Rabbits really do not need bedding (carefresh, wood shavings, ect) in their cage base.

undergunfire wrote:
RabbitWolf wrote:
You can, but the rabbit will most likely pee in the cage because there is "litter" in there. It is best to keep all bedding/litter in the litter box.

Rabbits really do not need bedding (carefresh, wood shavings, ect) in their cage base.
What about where they sleep.

For Ash, I've got his litter box, and then a little "dog bed" for him to lay on/sleep on, and that's where he lays. He's fine with that being the only 'soft' place for him to sleep.

Mine prefer not to have a soft surface at all! They just like to sleep on the laminate floor of their cage, or the lino-covered shelves.... anything soft is taken to be a new bathroom...

In fact, somehow a towel got left on the floor next to their cage last night, and when I picked it up earlier, there was about 500 poops and it was soaked with wee lol! :shock:

Latest posts

Back