injured leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mabzG

Reaction score
My rabbit suffered a fall at 6 months old and thevet told me that she hit her spinal cord. Luckily, she did notcompletely severe her spinal cord. Tests showed she still had feelingin her legs though she dragged both legs. That was over a year ago. Shehad regained full function of her left leg but her right leg is stiffas a rod. She has a muscle contracture in her right hamstring and theknee will not bend. I'm afraid my theraphy on her is no longer helpingand her right leg is atrophied. Has anyone experienced this before?

No, but I have heard of rabbits who got alongfairly well with just three legs. If the leg is atrophied,perhaps losing it might be a lesser evil.

Does your bun still feel anything in the atrophied leg? I amsurprisedsome sort of physical therapy won't help.

Buck:(

She does feel a little when I pinch her atrophied leg, which is why I'm determined to keep on working at it. Thanks.

Wow, I admire your dedication to that little bunny, she's a lucky little girl to have you. Sorry I can't help any though!

Laura, Moch, & Spice

once the muscle is atrophied, unfortunately theleg will not ever be of use. However, if she can still feel the leg,keeping it would be no big deal as long as she's not in pain. If painbecomes an issue, amputation is the only humane option.

Best of luck, kiss your bun for me

Welcome to the forum MabzG,

I can't imagine what you've been going through. It's really touching to see you go a hundred extra miles for your baby.

Having 3 legs might be easier than one 'dead' one to drag around. Ihave only read and seen pictures/videos of handicapped rabbits and oncethey get over the hard part of the operation, as Buck said, they dofine. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Please keep us posted as to how things go.

-Carolyn

I have always considered her quality of living andshe is so very happy from what I have observed. She loves being cuddledand petted. When I am cleaning her bedding or giving her food, shetucks her head under my palm to be pet. When I stop moving my hand shelicks me telling me to keep going. She is very affectionate. I'm stillskeptical about amputating that leg. Since there is some feeling, Ifeel like with the therapy I give her, it will move again. I guess Istill have hope she will regain it.

does anyone know how complicated an amputation would be? sedation? recovery? ....

Oh, wow, mabzG! I haven't had toexperience this particular difficulty with my Sherman, so I don't haveany substantive advice to give.

What I would like to do, however, is to let you know that I'msending prayers and positive thoughts your way that you'll make theright decisions for your bunny's wellbeing and continued quality oflife. Bless you for the love, concern, and dedication thatyou're showing for your little one.

Good luck! We're pulling for you!

MabzG,

I am not a vet, so I couldn't say with any certainty howdifficult the surgery might be, but I know it has been done, andsuccessfully. Rabbits often had problems with anesthesia in the past,but that has become less problematical of late, at least withcompetent rabbit knowledgeable veterinarians.

It would not hurt to investigate and find out the particulars, so thatshould you decide to do so at a later date, you would be prepared inadvance. If the bun is feeling, and the atrophied leg is nota terrible hindrance, I might consider continuing physical therapy also.

There is a form of animal therapy that is called T Touch Therapy thathas recently received some favorable attention on TV and in thenewspapers. Perhaps, an Internet query might elicit somehelpful information.

Animal acupuncture might also be of some help, and there arepractictioners out there. Again, an Internet query and searchmight prove beneficial.

Buck

Thanks everyone, we appreciate your prayers. Iwill look into all those treatments on the internet. Sadly though ismost of these treatments might be costly. I have looked into Davis'veterinary and it was gastly too expensive for my part time job/ fulltime college student budget. I might look into seeing if she mayqualify as a subject for vet students rehab program, but I'm a littleiffy on that. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm so glad I found this website, all the support/advise is very motivating and heart-warming!Thanks.

Explain your predicament to local SPCA, animalshelter, local House Rabbit Society Chapter. All or somemight be able to provide some sort of assistance.

Somtimes, some vets will let you run a tab, where you pay the cost of care over an agreed length of time...another possibility.

Wishing you and your unfortunate bun the best of luck and our prayers.

Buck

Hi MabzG,

I certainly respect and admire your original thought to keep the leg aslong as possible. Excellent point about there's still feeling in it andcontinual practicing of physical therapy.

I've seen miracles performed on other rabbits. With prayers, love,commitment, and dedication, the sky's the limit as to how far we cango.

I imagine the beauty you're speaking of is the one in your avatar? Howgorgeous of a face! Would you mind attaching the picture here so that Ican see Her Majesty? That's a face I have to see close-up! :)

I love the story of how she licks you and wishes for pats. She's nothere by luck, she's here for her determination, strength, and love ofher life with you to keep fighting the way she does.

-Carolyn

He's Gorgeous, MabzG!

What a beautiful beautiful rabbit! No wonder why you're goingto the ends of the earth to help him out with that look in his eye.

Thank you So much for posting it. He's so pretty.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back