Ingested "Object" Found on X-rays...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Nearly three weeks' ago, Pinkerton was taken to the vet after he developed sudden bloat-like symptoms. (His stomach was distended enough to be pushing on one of his kidneys.)

Several days' later, when he was no longer bloated, I took him back for x-rays; a whitish object was found to be near the end of of small intestine.

During the next few weeks', he remained active and ate/drank normally. He also pooped/peed okay, although his fecals did become oblong in shape (and drier than normal) for about a week's time. They've been returning to normal over the past few days'.

Per his follow-up x-rays taken yesterday, the object is still in him, though it appears to have moved to an upper region of his large intestine.

At this point, the vet suggests that I keep an eye on him. Admittedly, I feel fearful that he could have another blockage. I don't know if it's "normal" for something to pass so slowly through a bun's system.

Is it possible that trying something (e.g., giving I.V. fluids) could help it make its way out better? Or does the wait-and-see game make more sense, as long as his behavior dictates normalcy?

Thank you,

Jenk

Oh gosh, what a thing to go through with your rabbit.

Did the vet say how large the object appeared to be? If it is very large and unable to pass, then surgery may become an option. I don't usually suggest this but it really depends on what the size is, an if it is in a position to create a complete blockage.

If it is deemed small enough to pass, I would play the wait and see game.

I truly don't know why the object would move from his small intestine to an upper region. Hopefully someone else can give input. Have you posted this on etherbun yet?

It is true that some things (especially foreign) seem to take *ages* to pass out of a rabbit's system.

dquesnel wrote:
Did the vet say how large the object appeared to be? If it is very large and unable to pass, then surgery may become an option. I don't usually suggest this but it really depends on what the size is, an if it is in a position to create a complete blockage.
If it is deemed small enough to pass, I would play the wait and see game.
That info.'s not been clarified; I intend to call her tomorrow to ask about its size with relation to his intestines;I'm also considering having my (sort-of-previous, exotics-only) vet review the x-rays. Granted, that would mean another vet visit, another bill, OMG....(We've had this rabbit four months', and he's cost us about $1K now. :()
I truly don't know why the object would move from his small intestine to an upper region.
No, you misunderstand what I wrote: It appears to have moved from the lower region of his small intestine to the upper region of his large intestine.
Have you posted this on etherbun yet?
Yes; I've gotten some flak with regards to my vet's ability to read an x-ray. I feel a bit offended; she's practiced on exotics for 10 years', and, as I've clarified, most vets probably couldn't identify an item that may be a clump of drywall. Who could determine that exactly?

One good suggestion is that I have my vet scan the x-ray, so that I can post it online. I'm not sure if she can do that, but I intend to ask.
It is true that some things (especially foreign) seem to take *ages* to pass out of a rabbit's system.
Is that true? I may breathe a little easier knowing that much; I was starting to flip out because I thought that three weeks' seems a bit long for an item to have moved such a seemingly short distance through the intestinal tract. :?

Warning: Graphic image.

Objects have to travel a looooong way! (And I believe the upper large is below the small).

I think if there is indeed a foreign object in his system, he is mostly out of danger. The biggest risk for bloat/complete blockage happens when the foreign object is stuck in the pylorus before exiting the stomach and entering the intestines. It is true that there are many sharp twists and turns in the digestive system and a blockage indeed can occur elsewhere, but in terms of causing bloat and rupture it is unlikely to happen once the foreign object is well through the small intestine.

As Pipp's image shows, food/foreign matter indeed has to go very far, especially something that is not easily broken down. Here is another image that shows side view including the pylorus and valves.

I would also think he's through the worst of it. As long as he's eating, pooping, and acting normally it should pass through. The valve between stomach and smaller intestineand the smaller intestine itself are most likely the worst spots and he's past that. Even if gets blocked at the anus, that would be significantly easier to remove.

I'd try to encourage him to drink more water and/or eat wet veggies or canned pumpkin. It won't help it pass, but rabbit intestines work much better when they are properly hydrated.

Pipp wrote:
Objects have to travel a looooong way! (And I believe the upper large is below the small).

Nice graphics (well, from a bun owner's perspective). :D

To clarify, I now grasp your point about the upper large intestine being physically located above the small intestine. I was talking about the actual location of the object, not the intestines themselves (but you probably got that by now ;)). I plan to call the vet today to ask a few more clarification questions regarding the x-rays.

Guys, I gotta say, you've made me feel a bit better. A few answers that I received on EB had me more up in knots; so it's good to breathe a little easier.

PS: I now suspect that Pink's bloat-like situation was likely caused by this object moving from his stomach to his small intestine. I wonder if the sub-Qs that he received helped to dislodge it (if that's possible)? Either way, his behavior has been fine since that scary night.

Jenk, I hope he passes it soon! It will be interesting to find out what it is. Poor Pinkerton and poor you, I know when you took him home you were hoping he would be your healthy bunny. Of course we all want our bunnies to be healthy, but still. How are Emma and Zoe?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Poor Pinkerton and poor you, I know when you took him home you were hoping he would be your healthy bunny. Of course we all want our bunnies to be healthy, but still. How are Emma and Zoe?
So, far, though, he's behaving normally. That's one feather in our caps, I guess. I've a call in to the vet to ask a few more pointed questions regarding the x-rays' findings.

Emma and Zoe are relatively okay at the moment. Emma's weaning off of Reglan (again); it's my hope that I can keep her off of it. Zoe still has odd (misshapen, overly-moist) fecals.

Meanwhile, I'm re-introducing Oxbow BB/T pellets to both Pink and Emma (slowly, slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y). And I'm hoping to do the same for Zoe soon, too. She may not do well on them, per se, but she likely can't handle much of any pellet brand. At least some, though, would give her more nutrients than she's had in a long time. :(

How's Pink doing today?

I hope that gray cloud of bunny illness leaves your house and completely dissipates! :shock:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
How's Pink doing today?

I hope that gray cloud of bunny illness leaves your house and completely dissipates! :shock:

So far, so good, thoughn I'm still leery of re-introducingOxbow BB/T pellets.

This morning, I fed him 2 Tbsp. (Not a lot for an 8-lb. bun, I know.) Honestly, his previousbloat-like situation was likely stasis caused by a combo. of ingested fur and the object that's passing through his system.

I suppose that my main action plan is to gauge things by his behavior and input/output. I may consider having another x-ray done a few months' from now; I don't know for sure, though.

Note: If Pink's issue a few weeks' ago was caused by something that he managed to ingest on the sly, then I can't blame it on illness.

Latest posts

Back