info on the bunnies =)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12animaluv34

Reaction score
Well,

About 2 weeks ago 2 bunnies started to have runny poop so the next day they went to the vets and it was coccidia (Spelling??) so they were put on meds and yogert.Then by the 3rd day 21 out of the 25 had it!!!!

So i had to get more meds (which was not cheap) it took me forever to give 21 rabbits their meds and yogert!!

Then by the 5th day i had many going back and forth to the vets on other meds and fluids. But we lost Jaden,Gorden,Pumkin,Honey,Faith,Lilly,Prince,Ponyboy and Darry.It was very,very hard for me too loose them.Then my rabbit Snowflake with the headtilt got VERY bad and the day she was going to be put to sleep she was gone when i woke up that morning =( I had her for 5 and a half years.

But every one else is doing better =)

Their are still 3 girls that r a little thin and their poop is still a little soft and they were but back on meds for another week.But other than that every one seems to be pretty happy and healthy.

OMG that is truly an overwhelming and sad loss. really really terrible for you

I would advise disinfecting everything related to the rabbits including cages, food bowls , water dishes anf bottles..utensils everything you can think of with a bleach solution.
if you can do this outside it is better..because you need tothoroughly rinse everything extremely well.
Then allow everything to sit in the sun and dry.

While doing this move the 3 little ones to some other area so they aren't subjected to the strong odors of the bleach.
Some Old school vet still suggest yogurt as a probiotic (meaning to correct the imbalance in the rabbits GI tract), however, rabbits really cannot digest milk. There is a product called bene-bac which is either a powder or a gel that works more efficiently . it can be bought at petco stores.

There are even products similar to benebac (probios) sold for large animal at farm stores that have the same ingrdients as bene-bac. If possible try to switch to one of those and eliminate the yogurt.
I'll also send you some articles on coccidiosis.
It spreads very rapidly so there was little that you could have done.

Once again I am truly very sorry for such a huige and terrible loss. :pink iris:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

Back