Infection? (Resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moro Ferret

Reaction score
My rabbit Bandura got fixed on Friday. While Joe and Maslow, who also got fixed, are looking good (their "sacks" are starting to shrivel up) his are still filled with fluid. There is a slight yellow-ish tint around the stitching, but no leakage or actual puss. He is acting normal, so I don't think he hurts a whole lot, which is good. I fear a small infection, and I called my vet -- they said wipe him down a few times a day with baby wipes, and bring him in early Friday morning, and to see the Emergency Vet if things get worse.

Is this something that has ever happened to any of your guys?
What would be a good antibiotic to suggest to my vet (I will be seeing a different vet then usual, so I want to go prepared, though I hear she is rabbit-savvy)?

Is it something I did wrong? I have been nuts about keeping them clean post-surgery, cleaning the cages twice a day to keep it fresh. :(

Since you have the other two to compare, it will be easier to tell what's normal. Are the fluid-filled sacs warmer to the touch? I would use something like Betadine to wipe them down, but baby wipes are probably ok too. The vet will probably put him on an oral antibiotic. It happens sometimes that neuters get infected, and isn't really a sign of lack of skill. I haven't had it happen, but I've only had one of my buns neutered (the others came to me fixed). I have heard of a few bunnies on here that have had this happen. If the vet doesn't give an antibiotic to be given by mouth or injection, then I would look into another vet.

I don't know -- I will feel and see how warm they are and report back here.

My other two also fight furiously, so I don't get a great look when I check each day. But it does look different -- I know that much.

I am picking up Baytril for him sometime today. I will have to syringe feed it to him I guess. :(

It's definitely infected, though the area is not too hot to the touch.

Still funky. I am just waiting for the call to go pick up his meds. He is acting okay, ticked at me because I keep wiping him down where he is sore.

I gave him his first bit of Baytril a couple hours ago.

I am glad I got them too -- my vet let me just come pick up the stuff, instead of waiting until tomorrow morning for an office visit. I am thrilled.

Would Neosporin maybe help a bit too? Like around the stitching?

You could put a bit on, as long as it has no pain killers in it.

If you have some or can go to a pharmacy and get some, Betadine is awesome stuff. It penetrates the skin quite well and is the stuff they use to scrub down operation sites to sterilize before surgery. Use a cotton ball and put on his testicles and around the stitches.

Does he have actual stitches that need removing? All the neuters I have had done only have a bit of glue that will fall off on it's own as the wound heals.

-Dawn

Yeah, I would think neosporin or betadine would be better than baby wipes. Be careful with the neosporin to not soften the scabs that are there too much--you don't want the scab to come open.

I just say stitching, I mean the site of opening. I think it might actually be glued.

I can definitely get some Betadine. I need to build a rabbit first-aid kit anyhow. Thanks for the advice!

I got my betadine from a "people" pharmacy. I had to ask for it as they had it behind the counter, but required no prescription. It was about $10 for a bottle big enough to last me for many years, lol.

I use betadine any time a bun has any kind of scratch or break in the skin. It does not sting, I have used it on my own cuts to check, and is very good a disinfecting and is not harmful when ingested.

I initially started using it when I had a bun recovering from having his genitals reconstructed (bad bite to the genitals while bonding). I would swab him down with it twice a day while he was healing to help prevent infection.

-Dawn

That sounds like an awful situation. :(

But I will pick up some Betadine today. :) Thanks for the info.

Back