Inexpensive spaying in CT area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankypod

Reaction score
I need to get my girls spayed within a few months. Is anyone here from the southern CT area who can recommend a good bunny vet? And more importantly, a lower-cost bunny vet?

The vet I bring my dog to said they charge $300 for ONE spay! $600 really hurts; there's no way I can afford that without some serious saving up/credit card debt. I'm a grad student on a very tight budget.

I heard there's a vet around here that charges $150 or so. That's A LOT better sounding. I can't seem to find them though, I've been calling around and most vets around me don't even neuter buns at all.

I think the cheapest I found is where I go.Last Check it was $200 something. Which I need to book one so I will call tomorrow. :)

Where in CT are you?

I am speaking from my experience from many spays and neuters. Ask for a written estimate and look it over. Many vets will give a "worst case" estimate in which they assume you can do none of the work at home. Many charge for "extended care" which is usually an overnight charge but some clinics charge it for drop offs. Many charge for "assisted feeding"....which is basically hand feeding something like Critical Care after recovery....and since this is a manual labor charge, it can be rather high. But it is not necessary. Look over that estimate and see if there are any charges on there that you can do at home. And don't be shy about asking for a discount....especially is you are doing multiple surgeries at once. We got a huge discount on the surgical suite by doing nearly a dozen spays/neuters at one time. A lot of the charge for the surgery suite is "set up". If they are doing multiple animals from the same household (or rescue).....they will many times discount the overall charges since there is only one set up protocol.

Many vets offer credit programs.....something called "Care Credit" is used by many vets in this area. It seems rather easy to get a small (usually in the $300 range from what I have seen) credit line.....and some plans have 6 months same as cash.....credit with no interest.

And remember that a vet clinic is still a business. In today's economy, not many businesses are trying not leave anything "hanging". And anything is negotiable. There is always a way.

Randy

:)I will let you know what I find out.

Latest posts

Back