Indoors/outdoors!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachy1412

Reaction score
Ok as soom of you know I made this thread about bonding three rabbits: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=26779&forum_id=48 Well I got another rabbit called Smokey, a 10month old female. I got her spayed just over two weeks ago. I put her outside into her hutch, the other two came up to her and raised their tales. Suddenly the male rabbit turned onto his female companion and chased after her, nipping her bottom. So I automatically put the new rabbit back indoors and the fighting died down. Now I am considering making her house a rabbit if that is how they are going to react just to the sight and smell of her.

In your humble opinion which is better. Living outdoors with two companions or living indoors alone? I am really a sole believer that all animals should live indoors but my two rabbits don't due to my parents not letting me, however they gave me permission to let Smokey live indoors if I wish. However I don't know which is best for her. To live safely indoors alone or risk it outside and have compaionship! It's so hard and I don't know which is best for her. I love seeing the two outside play and cuddle together and would love that for her but after the reaction of the other two I am not sure if it is going to work. Although I did just plonk her in her cage which was in their terriotory, plus it was only a weak after her spay so she obviously stil reaked of hormones!

What do you think? I need help!!

Edit: Forgot to mention she is a lion head where as my other two are lops.. not sure if that really matters. I have found Smokey to be very fiesty and has a bit of an attitude problem! :p. But that might just be down to hormones and being scared in a new home.

Honestly, I think it depends on the rabbit. Some rabbits love human companionship, and as long as you have lots of time to spend with them each day they will happily live alone indoors. However some rabbits long to be with another rabbit, and in this case living outside with2 companions would be best. Although I would like to add that seeing as you live in the UK your buns shouldn't have a problem living outside, as long as you don't have predators around.

Back