Indoor rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IM4Swine

Reaction score
I would like to keep one of my rabbits in my bedroom, but my mom won't let me if it makes the whole room smell. I have read the things about keeping down smell. I am going to try giving him vanilla in his water. Is there anything else I could do to keep down the smell?

Also, if I get him litter box trained and completely bunny-proof my room, will I still need to have a cage to lock him in at times?

Is there anything else I should know about keeping a rabbit inside? I really would like my mom to let me keep him in my room.

Here is a picture of him. Can you see why I want him to stay in my bedroom? Who wouldn't want such an adorable little rabbit in their bedroom?

There is a product called "Doc's RabbitEnhancer" which has odor-blocking stuff in it (along with other things to give it a nice show coat). The rabbit only needs a tsp per day.

I don't remember how expensive it is as I got the big container of it -but I think you can get a goodly amount for under $10 that would probably last one rabbit 6 months or so.

I got mine from http://www.bunnyrabbit.com - you can find it under supplements.

Peg

How cute! And, Yes I can see why you want to keep him in your room :)

I feel all pets should be kept indoors so that they can be enjoyed and be a part of the family.

My only bit of advice would be to make sure to keep the cage and littler box as clean as possible even if it means cleaning it everyday. Maybe you can get your mom to agree to a trial period. If you keep the odor down maybe she will let him stay:)

He is gorgeous so I can understand why you would like to keep him in your room! :) However, I think that you need to have a cage in there as well so when you go to sleep, he is in his cage! My little boy likes to jump on my head and all over me if I am asleep and he is not in his cage! Also, be prepared for "accidents" on your bed! Thumper loves my bed and gets a bit excited and sometimes forgets to use his kitty litter! :?

But I dont see why you can't keep him in your room if you keep his kitty litter and cage nice and clean.

Good luck :D

I have my bunnies in a spare bedroom, and I have found that if I clean the litter consistently every 2-3 days, I don't smell anything at all. The most I smell is fresh hay.

The key really is to clean the litter often and to use a litter that is good at absorbing the urine smell (such a pelleted wood litter like Woody Pet, and I have found Yesterday's News works pretty well as also).

If you let the litter sit for too long or if someone pees on the floor and you don't find it - it will likely start smelling.

I have 5 rabbits in one small room in my house,and I really don't notice any smell besides hay or if someone leaves a cecal lying around. Wood pellet litter is fantastic for odor control. With stuff like Carefresh I would still notice a slight urine smell. And vinegar is great for cleaning cages and litter boxes. It kills off any residual smells.

I can see why you want him inside! He's adorable! I love having my rabbits inside with me.

Hah, yes, you always know if someone forget to eat a cecal. WHooo, stinky! :D Doesn't happen often though.

I have two bunnies in my bedroom and there is no smell. If you clean the litter box everyday and clean the cage regularly, it shouldn't smell.

IM4Swine wrote:
Also, if I get him litter box trained and completely bunny-proof my room, will I still need to have a cage to lock him in at times?

My room iscompletely bunny-proofed, butI still have a NIC cagein my room for my bunnies. They know it is their own special placewhere they will not be bothered, and spend a lot of time in there. If strangers ever come into my room, my bunnies will run into their cages, so I thinkhaving a cage makes them feel like they have somewhere secure and safe to hide.

My bunniesalso sometimes run around and make noise at night,sohaving a cage you canlock them inat night timecan bevery useful if they are keeping you awake.

Your bun is gorgeous. :inlove:

The only thing my room smells like is timothy hay! :D Which, to be honest, I don't mind in the least....

As long as you're good about cleaning up after the little one, and prove that you plan to, you shouldn't have much of a problem :)

-Daniela

I use wood stove pellets as litter, and it covers up any pee smells. I clean out my litter boxes every 3 days,some times I am so worn out from work that I change it on the 4thday...and by then I can smell it.

Mainly mine and my fiance's room smells like hay.

Just remember than when you have a bunny in your room....you WILL have rabbit fur ALL over your things. My fiance is the kind of guy who HATES specks of anything on his clothes, yes....including his precious bunnies' fur. I basically have to run a lint roller over him before we leave the house:craziness.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

aw what a cutie! is you room carpet? or the hay and accidents will be hard to get out!

I don't know if you were refering to me, butyes....my room is carpet. I put down a HUGE area rug carpet where thebunnies play pen is, so they don't stain or get hay onto the carpet.

I got the carpet at Walmart for only $20. Well worth it to save the rugin our room....which just so happens to be a light cream color...forsome reason:huh.

Here is a picture....you can kinda see what I mean.....

bunroomsnowpuff%20019.jpg

The new place we are moving into on Friday has hardwood floors, but Iwill still lay that carpet down because I don't want them to scuff upthe floor with their nails or anything because we are renting, and ifthey do have a pee accident, the carpet will atleast help to absorbsome of the pee so it doesn't ruin the floor.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

The smell will be minimal if you keep the litter clean. I personally don't notice much of a smell, but others seem to.Get a cage if you feel it's necessary. My rabbit used to wake me up at about 5 every morning, I would put her in her cage when she would do this and she quickly learned to leave me alone and I no longer need the cage. Be sure to provide your rabbit with their own place of refuge,like under a bed or cabinet, they like places to hide. I've found my rabbit to pretty good with her litter box, but be sure to put down something on the carpet( if you have it) for a good radius around the litter box, the flooring section of a hardware store is good for this,like vinyl floor covering. If you haven't already done so,spaying/neutering is a good way to stop them from chewing things, they chew out of frustration mostly, and it also keeps them focused on their litter training. I noticed my bunny would get bad with her litter box in cycles, and since she's been spayed it no longer is an issue. I can goon and on, but I think I covered the most important points, let me know if you want any more tips. Have fun with your bunny.-Marti

Back