Indoor/Outdoor Pen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamawesum69420

Reaction score
I've been wanting to find a sort of play pen for Velma. I want one that can be taken outside as well as used inside because I'm planning on moving out of this apt complex and into somewhere where I can let her have more outside time. I also want to sort of expand her living arrangements. At the moment I can't let her have free roam because of a problem with getting her litter trained as I've mentioned in a whole other post. Also, I'd like to be able to not spend a ridiculous amount of money on this. I am but a poor college student and I try to save money here and there. I have found the sort of thing I'm looking for but at the pet stores they are so expensive and the only reasonably priced one I have found is way too short. She is able to jump up on a bed that is about 2'-2.5' tall. I'm not sure if that is the highest she can jump. That just happens to be the highest thing I've seen her attempt to jump on and as she had no problem I'm wondering if she can make even high jumps.

I bought 2 pens that were tall but covered a small area. Then because they can come apart (there is a door in the one I bought) I hooked them together so that there was a door and it covered more area while being pretty tall. Also I bought a dog kennel that I was using for my rabbits intill we started our move. Then we sold it but it worked really well because there wasa door, it was very tall, and the holes were to smalll for the rabbits to get out of once they were bigger (older). It was only about $30 but would do great for long term stuff. The problem with this is it cant be moved very easily because of the way it is set up!

My pen is really cheap but you CANNOT leave bunny unsuperivsed in it. I purchased a roll of wire netting for gardens and I unroll it in the lawn. Its sturdy so it stands and I make it into a circle and tie the ends. On the outside of that I wrap a roll of chicken wire (for the height) so it is a double portable fence. I let my bunnies hop around inside of the circle while I sit next to it and read. They just sit there and munch grass, and do a few binkies.

The fencing sets nicely on the ground, but it can be knocked over by a dog easily. I never leave them outside alone, I am always sitting next to the pen.

The whole set up cost around $20 from Home Depot, just remember you have to supervise them.

NIC cubes are 12x12 pieces that fit together to form cubes, people usually use them as shelves in their office bedroom etc. The ones I purchased at Target were called "organize it". If they are not by the office stuff look by the tools. I used them around my bed to keep my rabbit out from under the bed. You can attach them with zip ties and cut off the excess plastic or they come with plastic pieces that hold them together. They just seemed more sturdy with the zip ties. Some people use nic cubes for cages because you can assemble almost any size you want. If your rabbit is a high jumper you can just add a level or add netting on the top. There are some samples in the cages section. They are also sold at Home Depot. The best part, they are inexpensive, portable and sturdy. My rabbit tries to push them over with no luck. Stubborn little girl she is. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back