Indoor freedom at last!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelei

Reaction score
Today Sugar was out in the living room for the first time in literally months. He's normally confined to the laundry room (not my choice; I live with my mother and after he chewed through two cell phone chargers and a TV cord he was banished to the back room), but today I was able to sneak him out for a few hours. He was a perfect angel: no chewing, no digging, no soiling or damage of any kind. Mom wasn't too happy when I told her, but I'm trying to prove that he's trustworthy enough for more "out" time now. I got him neutered last July, and it's been nearly that long since he's had free run of the living room. He's calmed WAY down since then, and I was even able to pick him up without much fuss once his free time was over (and, in typical bunny fashion, he HATES being lifted). At least he got in a few binkies, and took a nap over the heating duct. He did growl and "box" at the cats when they got rough with him, and they got the message pretty quickly.

I really, really hope that this can become a regular thing...I feel horribly guilty about how little free time he receives. He regularly goes out to pet stores on his harness a few days a week, and he (very) occasionally gets time out in the kitchen, but that's about it. I'll probably be moving in with my boyfriend in the next few months to a year (the military being as unpredictable as it is), so his situation WILL definitely improve, but right now I'm sort of limited. :(

Well, an update: My grandparents' health has been gradually declining (Gramma needs 24/7 care), and last week Grampa went into the hospital. He'll be okay, but Mom decided they couldn't be alone anymore and is moving in with them. This means I more or less am taking care of her house while she's living there, until I move in with my boyfriend in the near-albeit-indeterminate future.

What does all this have to do with my rabbit? Much, much more free time, of course! He's been getting HOURS of binkies in the living room, chasing the cats, jumping on the sofa, and generally getting all the exercise and stimulation his little fluffy heart could desire. And the only damage incurred is a few chewed Newsweeks. :)

I also got him microchipped, because while I don't THINK there are any countries that require bunnies to be chipped, my boyfriend could be stationed at literally any military base in the world (combat medics go EVERYWHERE), and I don't really want to look up the animal laws for every country on the planet. Just covering my bases. :)

Thanks...the hospital called, and Grampa's getting released today! :D He's been there for a week-and-a-half, so he's been getting pretty antsy about coming home. He'll be on oxygen, and the hospital recommended a nursing home, but my mother was a nurse in the Army and also worked at a care facility, so she's equipped to handle any medical issues that arise. It's particularly hard, because I work at a family business, so he's not just my grandfather...he's also my boss! It's affected both home and work life for everyone, in particular me and Mom...we have other family in town, but they pretty much do their own thing. :\

Latest posts

Back