Indiana doe needs a new home.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Ok, I read this forum all the time but rarelypost. Nevertheless, I am here and know that there are manypeople from many areas that are sometimes willing to take in newadditions.

My situation is named Jetta. This is my first house bunny,and I love this little girl to pieces. The problem is, myboyfriend doesn't. He likes her, but has had his last strawwith her attitude. She has had this "attitude" fromthe day I got her at 9 weeks old. She changes her mind fromday to day or even week to week on whether or not she is going to useher litter box. I can handle the droppings with no problem,but the urine just causes more issues. We now have to lockher cage because she escapes from it, therefore taking her cage messeselsewhere. I understand the teenager thing, but this has beengoing on for almost a year now. She keeps gettingworse. We have talked it over and have decided it is time forher to go.

I have had some options on how to go about this:

1. I had an offer from someone to take her as a breeder formeat rabbits. (I thought about this when I was angry with her thenbegan to sob at the fact that I even considered it.)

2. Take her to my mothers place where she can live in a decent sizedfenced area with some ducks, chickens, and an intact dutch male who isabout 9 years old. (This is where she will go if i can not find a homealternative.)

3. Put her down. (No, no, NO!)

4. Find someone in the area who would like to have her as a pet. (Ideal.)

I am in the Northeast Indiana area, slightly south of Fort Wayne andclose to the Ohio line. If anyone is even remotely interestedin her, PLEASE let me know. I'd be willing to deliver if needbe. I just really think she needs some one on oneattention. She does well with cats, dogs, and other rabbitsas far as I can tell. (My other bun is just petrified ofher.) She weighs 6lbs and is scheduled to be spayed thisThursday. Yes, I want her to be spayed first, just incase. She has only bit once, but tends to growl sometimes andhas scratched at me before. This usually happens when I'mwiping urine out of her cage or scooping stray droppings.Hence, she does NOT like the scoop. She was checked by a vettwo months ago and had a clean bill of health. I feed herPurina rabbit chow, it is a plain pellet blend and I give her lots oftimothy hay. She had the sniffles once as a baby, but Itreated her with antibiotics. Nail trimming is quite simplefor her if she's wrapped in a towel with her head covered. Ithink that's plenty of basic information, if anyone has ANY questionsat all, please DO ask.

Last but not least, a photo.

Jetta.jpg

I would definitelywait until after the spay to consider putting her up for adoption :)You really will be amazed what a spay can do :) Before my Nimue wasneutered he would pee on EVERYTHING!!!! He would also bite andscratchmy parents. All of that stopped when he was neutered:) He hasnt bitten, scratched, pounced, or gone the bathroom on anyfurniture since his neuter :D

~Amy

Hmmm I guess she isa little old to be going through the "teenage" stage, but I really dothink she will settle down after the spay.

No more hormones :D Nasty little things :p

~Amy

Get rid of the man, keep the bun. :D Justkidding. But seriously, if you want to keep her, get her spayed. Youreally would be amazed at the difference and it's much easier thangiving her up. That's what I would do; not trying to preach.

I had the same problems with Mocha, especiallywith the extreme lack of potty training. She would actuallyHOLD IT IN until I let her out! I swear the spay was like aninstant fix for that. All her horrid hormonal behavior turnedaround. Of course, she's back in the habit a bit when she'sin bonding sessions with Loki, but it's still not that bad!Wait to make a decision until after she's fully healed from herspay. I'm not sure how much space she gets when she's outrunning, but start by only letting her in the area her cageis. When she behaves for a week, let her have more.This worked really well for me. As I expanded her territory,she would leave a few poos the first day to claim it and then would befine.

A feew poos aren't bad to clean up atall. Eh, sometimes the dog gobbles them up as I'm yelling"No!" :? Ugh. I will probably keep her here foranother month after her spay. Maybe she'll make a drasticchange for the better. I'd need a miracleto keep this bun.

Still if anyone is interested, drop me a line just in case.

Oh, I think I could get rid of the man, and keepthe critters. The last guy I dated before Shawn was allergicto my cats, I knew that relationship wouldn't go anywhere.LMBO I'm lucky that Shawn indulges me, well, maybe he'slucky! LOL

I agree with everyone to try the spay and then give her some time forthose nasty hormones to die down. I know they are differentanimals, but my nutso lab/rottie mix was neutered last Tuesday, and weare already amazed at the change. My Mom has actually beentelling him how well behaved he is now, she called him a "gooddog"! He's really changed.

Jen

Ok, I let Nate read your replies, hehe, andchoked up a few tears. He's still skeptical about thepossibility of her changing THAT much, but he's open to the idea ofit. :D

Latest posts

Back