increase in mounting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamsWarren

Reaction score

Hi all.

I have an 11+ year old male who is bonded to a 9+ year old female. Even though both rabbits are fixed since they were 2 or 3, over the years I have noticed an increase in mounting during the spring. This year, though, the male seems to be particularly, uh, active - he constantly seems to be pledging his undying love for her by licking her face, ears or mounting her. I've even seen him circle and hum like a young, unaltered male. For the most part, the female just takes it, although occasionally she will box or grunt at him to show her irritation. I do not want to separate them, because have been bonded for 6 years and are very close - they do everything together and spend most of their days cuddling and grooming each other. Recently, the male has gone blind in one eye (he has been vet checked…he has a cataract). I wonder if this his blindess has anything to do with the increase in mounting? Any thoughts?

As for the health of each rabbit, aside from being old, the male has chronic molar spurs and is now blind in one eye. The female has issues with her kidneys. Both rabbits are vet checked regularly by a rabbit savvy vet. I should also add that I've noticed that my presence also seems to be a factor - I can almost guarantee that he will start mounting her if I walk in to their room.

Thanks.

Pam, Muffy (aka Lady HumpedAlot) and Fuzz (aka sir HumpsAlot)

Lol I love those nicknames.

I think it completely depends on your situation, and what you think would be the best thing to do.

If it seems to be really bothering her, more than just making her a bit annoyed, then perhaps considering separating them.

The only thing I would be concerned with is how they would react if they were separated- anxiety? sadness? lonliness?

I think if it is seriously affecting their relationship, and his safety, then maybe consider it.

You could always have a hutch and a run with a partition down the middle, so they could still snuggle, groom etc. but not be able to hump each other.
This is what I've got now, while I'm bonding my two males. They love to groom one another, and spend hours grooming through the bars and snuggling as close as possible. It really works!!!!!!!

Also, perhaps try "training" him? Perhaps every time you see him humping her, pull him gently off, push him lightly to the ground and tell him 'no'.
Perhaps with constency it will deter him, if he never gets to hump because you stop it?

Add-

Lol I actually do have the same problem as you. Pippin constantly tries to hump Benji when they are together (I try and put them together without the partition an hour a day) and Benji absolutely hates it and will become aggressive. So I am stopping Pippin every time I see him thinking about it- cos you can tell lol!!!!- and I think it seems to be working, with consistency.

Hi Jen.

Thanks for your input. A few years ago, Fuzz went through a particularly active time :inlove:, and I actually did separate them. Briefly. They were both so miserable that I had to put them back together. Plus, given that Fuzz is now mostly blind, I really do not want to move him or change his territory. BTW, Muffy and Fuzz are free-range rabbits. They are gated into a bedroom at night and when I cannot supervise. Otherwise, they are free to run about the house. Sometimes Muffy will come out into the living room. Fuzz rarely ventures out any more. I think it is because of his loss of sight.

Regarding training Fuzz to not hump...sometimes when I catch him bothering her, I gently move him away and try to distract him with a toy (apple sticks to chew) or food (fresh herbs, fresh hay or simply a part of his dinner). Sometimes providing a distraction gives Muffy a few minutes of peace and quiet. LOL.

Anyway, I think that unless it really starts to bother and stress Muffy, I will leave them to go about their business. ;)

jcottonl02 wrote:
Add-

Lol I actually do have the same problem as you. Pippin constantly tries to hump Benji when they are together (I try and put them together without the partition an hour a day) and Benji absolutely hates it and will become aggressive. So I am stopping Pippin every time I see him thinking about it- cos you can tell lol!!!!- and I think it seems to be working, with consistency.
Good luck bonding your pair. Bonding takes a lot of time and patience, believe me! It took me about 6 mos to fully bond Muffy and Fuzz. Even if your boys do not bond, I think that your rabbits really benefit from each others' presence. From your earlier reply to my post, it sounds like they really do enjoy each others' company...even if only when there is a partition between them. BTW, my first two rabbits were a pair of neutered males. They lived very happily together for about 8-9 years.

I assume that both of your guys have been neutered?

Spring has a lot to answer for. My neutered males go crazy in spring (to be fair, so do some of my spayed girls), that just seems to be something they go through. If Muffy can cope with it, then just let it go. I would only stop it if it seems to cause fights, and then you might look to having them separated when you can't supervise them, or something.

PamsWarren wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
Add-

Good luck bonding your pair. Bonding takes a lot of time and patience, believe me! It took me about 6 mos to fully bond Muffy and Fuzz. Even if your boys do not bond, I think that your rabbits really benefit from each others' presence. From your earlier reply to my post, it sounds like they really do enjoy each others' company...even if only when there is a partition between them. BTW, my first two rabbits were a pair of neutered males. They lived very happily together for about 8-9 years.

I assume that both of your guys have been neutered?
Thanks Pam. That's such inspiration to keep going (even through the tough times). But as you say, if the don't bond, they will benefit from being with eachother (safely!) which is a lovely thought.
Yep both neutered- Benji about a year and a half ago, and Pippin about a year ago.

What have u decided to do with urs?

jcottonl02 wrote:
PamsWarren wrote:
Thanks Pam. That's such inspiration to keep going (even through the tough times). But as you say, if the don't bond, they will benefit from being with eachother (safely!) which is a lovely thought.
Yep both neutered- Benji about a year and a half ago, and Pippin about a year ago.

What have u decided to do with urs?
Well, earlier today, he was bothering her and she really read him the riot act. :censored2: Fuzz seems so clueless sometimes that I really wonder what goes on in that furry little empty head of his. :rollseyes He must really be in love...:nod

Now, though, they are lying together right now and they look so cute and cozy with each other. I think I am going to try to leave them together. If Muffy becomes too stressed, then I will have to revisit the situation.

Latest posts

Back