Incisors growing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jskittle

Reaction score
When I took my bun into the vet this past month for his check up, the vet told me one of his teeth is looking to be a little over grown. He said it isnt an issue yet but to try to get him to wear it down and to bring him back to get it checked on to see if it fixes itself or if we need to have it shaved down.

So far I have tried to up his chew toy/cardboard house collection, and I have gotten him different types of hay ( western timothy, orchard grass, botanical, all oxbow brand) but I dont know what else I can do to try to help get it worn down. he isnt much of a chew toy guy. He has 3 kabobs that he messes with with his nose but he doesnt really chew on them. he LOVES newspaper and printer paper, and cardboard though.

You need things that take chewing with the front incisors, to wear them down at all. Those would be things like apple branches that he could strip the bark off with his front incisors., or any other rabbit safe branches
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Branch/Branch_en.htm
Blocks of thoroughly dried pine wood. I'll buy a 1x2 at a lumber store and cut up for chew toys. Also timothy hay cubes will also affect the incisors, as they use them to chew the block of hay up. Regular loose hay isn't going to make any difference with the incisors as it is the molars that are primarily used to chew up loose hay.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DK8OI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Or much cheaper 50 lb bags if you have a feed store that carries it.
http://www.ontariodehy.com/tab02-06.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of our buns love to chew pine cones. They're called bunny toothbrushes by bunny lovers. Fortunately, living in Arkansas, I can walk out into the yard and find them. Maybe you can find some to try. Just don't use any Christmas scented ones like what's being sold. Also I've heard good things about woven willow balls.

What do you feed your rabbit? If it's pellets only, I would suggest beginning to introduce vegetables and keep going until vegetables make for the first source of food after hay (about 8% of the rabbit weight everyday, 2/3 of which are leaves). It helps to wear down teeth (and keep the rabbit occupied, and is way better for his overall health than pellets), whereas pellets don't. You can keep on feeding a small amount of pellets to make sure your rabbit has got all the vitamins and stuff he needs.
I second the apple tree branch, I give some to my rabbits and they love it. Hazel tree works too.

What do you feed your rabbit? If it's pellets only, I would suggest beginning to introduce vegetables and keep going until vegetables make for the first source of food after hay (about 8% of the rabbit weight everyday, 2/3 of which are leaves). It helps to wear down teeth (and keep the rabbit occupied, and is way better for his overall health than pellets), whereas pellets don't. You can keep on feeding a small amount of pellets to make sure your rabbit has got all the vitamins and stuff he needs.
I second the apple tree branch, I give some to my rabbits and they love it. Hazel tree works too.

He gets a large salad in the morning that alternates between different veggies (usually romaine,green leaf lettuce,parsley, mint, endive, cilantro, etc) and then he has access to hay all day/night (mostly timothy but he also gets oat, botanical, orchard grass) and then he gets 1/4 cup of oxbow pellets at night. his treats are wheat grass, craisins, and dried apple/banana chips 2/3 times a week.

His chew toys are- a wooden kabob dangling thing, another kabob that has apple branch and a lava rock, woven ball, a woven dumbbell, and a apple stick bundle, and then he has a ton of cardboard and wooden blocks and pallets that he chews on.

I just dont know what else to give him, I feel like he gets everything! lol but I didnt know that pinecones were something he could have. so I will definitely have to try that out! :)

Latest posts

Back