in tears when i heard this

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maomaochiu

Reaction score
today, a guy told me that his neighbor was keeping their bunny in a cage outside in the 90+ degrees, in the sun, no cover, no fan, no water, just some dirty pellet food, and couple of days later, he found the cage in the trash with the dead bunny in it.....................

why are we, the humans, so mean, so brutal, so selfish, so careless, so.......

i am in tears........... poor little bunny

That is so sad. You just never know what's in some peoples heads.

This is also one of the reasons I think it might be good for our neighbors to know that we are bunny people. This way, when they decide to get rabbit remorse they'll ask us to take their rabbits instead of doing the unthinkable. Just a thought for the future.

mambo101 wrote:
This is also one of the reasons I think it might be good for our neighbors to know that we are bunny people. This way, when they decide to get rabbit remorse they'll ask us to take their rabbits instead of doing the unthinkable. Just a thought for the future.

That's really good advice, well said. A few a mine know I keep rabbits but not all, I'm going to spread the word.

As for this unthinkable person, perhaps you should report them maomaochiu - they shouldn't be allowed to keep any animals if they do this.

:grumpy:Thats really evil. Did no one know anything before and report it to the protection foranimal people. More sould be done to prevent things like this form happning!!

i just heard about this today from a guy that i barely knows. he brought this up b/c i told him i have two house bunnies, soi don't know his neighbors and sounds like this has happend a week or so ago. if i had known, i would have done something for sure.

i guess most people just don't realize that bunnies have feelings too.

I am so sorry to hear that. How awful- I just don't understand some peoples attitudes toward other life- any life.

One word of warning about announcing to too many people that you have rabbits. Please check with your local laws/ordinances about your area's zoning considering rabbits. In some areas rabbits are considered livestock and livestock may not be allowed in the city limits. If one of your neighbors decides not to like you- they could make life very difficult for you, ending in possibly losing all your rabbits.

Another warning- if you become widely known as the local 'rabbit person'- unwanted rabbits will find their way to your place, dumped over your fence, left in boxes on your doorstep, etc!!! :?

First of all; I'm so sorry to hear that! The poor bunny :( It's sickening the kind of attitude people have towards animals sometimes.

But... Clarzoo's right. Do be careful to check your zone's laws. I know in my zone, they are livestock and we're not allowed to keep livestock, so we don't really broadcast that we have a rabbit. He's in the backyard, so none of my neighbors really see him, and he doesn't make noise or bother anyone, so they don't complain, but we do have to be careful sometimes. I think if I were you, I'd just post notices telling people to be extra considerate of all their animals in the hot weather.
There's one person's house we drive past sometimes that always has a sign up in their window, saying something like "It's HOT outside! Give pets shade and water!" , or whatever's season-appropriate. I thought that was a pretty neat idea, and it just sorta reminds people as they pass by, y'know?

Wow, This is the first I have heard about zoning laws and not being able to keep rabbits. Horses yes, rabbits no........

I can't believe how ignorant some people are when it comes to their pets/animals. Every time I see a dog in a locked parked car in the summer I want to scream. People think that if they leave the windows down a crack that it won't get too hot in the car, is that insane or what???? I have actually thought about writing a letter and keeping copies of it in my van so that when I see a dog in a parked car I can put it on the windsheild (explaining the dangers of heatstroke etc. just not sure how to word it nicely)

I wouldn't leave any of my pets in the car alone ever! Too many things can happen and it only takes a matter of seconds.

I tried posting to this earlier and it didn't go, but just as well as I said what I'd say couldn't be said on here, I was not/am not happy about that at all!

Sorry, can't handle that stuff.;)

I'd like to put them in a cage with no waterand no food in the hot sun and see how they do!!!!!!!!

Butterfinger wrote:
There's one person's house we drive past sometimes that always has a sign up in their window, saying something like "It's HOT outside! Give pets shade and water!" , or whatever's season-appropriate. I thought that was a pretty neat idea, and it just sorta reminds people as they pass by, y'know?

That is a pretty good idea! i will fly a flag about it in our front yard :D

also, leave a note to those people who leave their pets in the car sounds good too. just need to word it out of the concerns for the animals, instead of blaming the owners.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I tried posting to this earlier and it didn't go, but just as well as I said what I'd say couldn't be said on here, I was not/am not happy about that at all!

Sorry, can't handle that stuff.;)

I'd like to put them in a cage with no waterand no food in the hot sun and see how they do!!!!!!!!
What she said :grumpy:

We were at the mall a couple of years ago and it was summer and EXTREMELY hot. In a car was a dog. The windows weren't rolled down at all. The poor thing looked terrible in there. My dad was about ready to break into the car when the people came. :X

Wow...that's just awful...poor little bunny.

At least he/she has Buck now to take care of him/her. Poor baby...

I just wanna cattle brand people like that...I can't imagine how they treat their own children if they treat a poor, defenseless animal like that...

:grumpy:

kathryn303 wrote:
We were at the mall a couple of years ago and it was summer and EXTREMELY hot. In a car was a dog. The windows weren't rolled down at all. The poor thing looked terrible in there. My dad was about ready to break into the car when the people came. :X
I saw someone in a car park at work leave their dog in the car on a hot summers day. When we asked her about it she said she didn't want to leave him at home because he was ill but he was alright because the window was open a bit!! I called the RSPCA on her, she didn't do it again.

kathryn303 wrote:

That happens a lot. I don't understand why people need to even bring their pets.

One time at Walmart there was a small dog in avan, really hot out,windows weren't open. We reported them to customerservice and they announced it and the owner went out and opened the windows.

Back