in or out???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sam wrote:
my 2 live out doors in cages in their own shed they get too hot indoors:)
I would think they would be too hot outdoors...

Anyhoo, my rabbit is inside. He's too spoiled to be outside, he'd probably go crazy! He has to be the center of attention, and know what you are doing at all times. I think he'd get way too bored being outside by himself.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
sam wrote:
my 2 live out doors in cages in their own shed they get too hot indoors:)
I would think they would be too hot outdoors...

Anyhoo, my rabbit is inside. He's too spoiled to be outside, he'd probably go crazy! He has to be the center of attention, and know what you are doing at all times. I think he'd get way too bored being outside by himself.

i live in Ireland they are used to outside, they have there own luxury shed with plenty of room when i bring them in they get too hot we have central heating and open fires:bunnydance:

Mine live outside. With all of the predators we have in my area, and the harsh weather extremes, sending a poor defenseless little bunny to live in a hutch is like a death sentence. My neighbor had an outdoor bunny in what she described as "a really expensive, secure hutch" in her backyard, which has an eight foot privacy fence. A raccoon broke in less than a week later and killed the bunny!

Jess
My boyfriend is a yooper, and when he was young his sister had a rabbit in a very nice, sturdy, hutch. 2 months after they got the bunny it was eaten by a pine marten!

-Amy

All 3 of mine are outside. Our cages are custom built (by us) to accomodate our weather needs and to secure against predators. Not to mention we have the best darn protection you can ask for -- a large dog who is very protective of the bunnies!

And weather extremes are not a problem, I mean -30*C/-22*F to-40 here in the winter is common and the bunnies handle it fine! Although heat is an issue, a rabbit handles cold a lot better than heat!

My rabbits are reversed from MBH's. If I were to bring mine inside, they would go nuts. They hate it inside. None of mine will go to the bathroom inside and they all are terrified to come out into the open. You should see them, when I have my coat on they know they're going outside and they can't wait to be picked up (they stand up on their hind feet and wait for me to pick them up) because they know they get to go back outside. Of course, 2 of mine were born and raised outside, they've never been inside more then 12 hours and the other hasn't been inside since she was 3 months old.

Pebbles is an indoor bun. I did have my old bun Smokey outside, but she could go in a 4 sided wood comparment in the winter or if something was bugging her. We had a fenced in area thing when we had our pot bellied pig, so she lived in there. It kept most of the dogs out, and the pig liked to lie near her cage :D.

Both my bunnies are housed indoors. I love them living in my bedroom because they make great company 24/7.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:

If I were to bring mine inside, they would go nuts. They hate it inside.

One of the reasons why they probably hate it inside so much is that since their hutches and their familiar surroudings are outside, they probably don't feel like they have a familiar safe haven to escape too. Plus, ordinary sounds such as the TV or a vaccum cleaner would probably be frightening if they'd never really been exposed to it before :)

I have had both outdoor and indoor bunnies. The weather here is very mild in New Zealand and only preditors I could think of would be wild cats but havn't seen any in my area since I moved in. My outdoor rabbit Dodge is the happiest rabbit I have ever owned, she is like a friendly dog and free roams the back yard during the day when I am home. She digs holes, runs around the lawn, sleeps in the sun, helps me with the gardening and is a joy to behold when galloping through the grass. She comes when called and loves to lie down on the ground with me for a snuggle. But also my indoor rabbit is happy too but in a different way. He is alsways most excited though to be able to go outside and run through the grass, he doesn't binky indoors but he does outdoors.

Jess_sully wrote:
One of the reasons why they probably hate it inside so much is that since their hutches and their familiar surroudings are outside, they probably don't feel like they have a familiar safe haven to escape too. Plus, ordinary sounds such as the TV or a vaccum cleaner would probably be frightening if they'd never really been exposed to it before :)
Well I knew that. But one of my bucks will hold off going to the bathroom for as long as he's indoors whether it's an hour or 24 hours. I had him in one night and in the morning he had no poop or urine in his temporary home but the second I put him outside in his rabbit run, he ran to go to the bathroom. So since that experience (he was in for probably 14 hours) I will never do it again because that scared the living daylights out of me.

Dusty is indoors but he goes out on a harness and leash with me to romp around the yard. (it's not fenced so I have to keep him on leash or else he would be gone.)

My rabbits are indoors, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love it when they jump up on the couch and watch TV with me, binkie around the recliner, or make a mad dash across the living room and scoot into a cardboard box only to pop back out and dash back across. And depending on the rabbit, they either "help" or supervise chores like fish tank cleaning. "Maaaaaa, you're supposed to be petting me!"

Needless to say, I think it's awesome to have bunnies playing in my living room!

Sammy lives indoors i love having her around me all day, she has the full run of the house. She has her own bedroom we have not bothered getting her a cage she has a sleeping area and the rest of the room is for playing. i love getting home from work sitting down only for Sammy to come bouncing along jump up on the sofa and give me cuddles. The bestest pet in the world! x

Latest posts

Back