Important Reminder . Quarenteen!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Through out myyears I have learned a lot ofthings in regards to Rabbits and smallanimals . I feel at this timeit is a good idea to remind andstress the importance of Quarenteen forall new Animlas , Especially Rabbits ,. In all theyears I have ownedrabbits and have beenrunning Rescue I have only had this everhappen Twice before . This ismy Third experience with it .

As Everyone knows 2 weeks aagoI got in 2 Jersy Wooleys thatwere cast outs from an Exotics Store. The were supplied tothe Store from a Dealer / Supplierof Reptile feed , Concidering they wereof a wooled Varietythey could not be fed out ( sorry ) ,and The Store called me to cometake them . Which I did, I have always hadthe practice of putting any andall new Rabbits into Quarenteenfor a minimal 2 week period ,No animal is removedbefore the exact end date ofthe Quarenteen . Yesterday was to markthe end of their 2 week period , Theywere NOT removed and will notbe removed from Quarenteen nowfor the duration of treatment .
The Black Jersey Wooleyhas Snuffles , She presented last nightwith a thick white/ yellowdischarge and was imediately putinto doublelock down Quarenteen ,This means she has locks onher door, her cage isenclosed on 2 sides , and is ina room by herself . No Oneenters with out a foot bath ,rubbergloves and a face mask , (extreme yes it sure is ) NOONE leaves the room with out proper handwash , and a spray of alcohol , foot bathand a good dosing of HandSanatizer. Needless to say Iwill be the only one tending herneeds right now . The room ismarked off with a no admittance sign .and a red poster proclaiming ita Quarenteen room .
Why am I saying all this ,its pretty basic stuff right ?No it isnt basic , its something most tend tooverlook . How many have justwent to a pet store, bought arabbit they couldnt resist andbrought it home , and just let it interactwith the Rabbits already in residence, from what I have seen on theboard , MANY have. Mostpeople dont even think twice about notquarenteening a new rabbit , Iwant to change that way ofthinking .

If this can happenhere It can happen anywhere . I cannot stress enough the importance ofkeeping new Rabbits awayfrom The Ones you may alreadyhave at home .
A list of some things Thatshould be kept on hand at all times , butmore importantly , when buyinga new Rabbit
1: hand sanatizer
2: bottle of Alcohol
3: Rubber Gloves
4: bleach for disinfecting cages
5: A small Litter pan for bleach /water mixture
6:Face mask
7: 2 clean spray bottles , one for bleachspray and one for alcohol spray.
If I have forgotten anything please feel free to post .
Please remember to keep all newRabbits away from Your Houserabbits for at least 2 weeks 3it seems is an even betterIdea.

awesome reminder Gypsy.. I can say honestly whenwe got Vicky, we didnt think for two seconds about keeping her awayfrom Freddy.. they met as soon as she came hom and their cages arepretty close together. and about 3 weeks later she started sneezinglike mad and had clear discharge from her nose. I guess it was just alittle cold .. she went on antibiotics for 10days and was then keptaway from Freddy for two weeks (luckily he never caught anything).Although I have never seen any worms in her poop, Freddy's worm problem(which I still have not seen any since his last treatment) didnt startuntil after we brought Vicky home (she too got put on de-worming stuffjust in case).

Thanks Carolyn and Tiff ,
Whats pathetic is I didnt thinkof it sooner , Seemssometimes even little things are overlooked untill something horrible happensand then its a maddash to get it posted as a reminder ,I quarenteen every Bun , andnever gave thought to posting the importance of it.
Had the little Wooleynot came down withSnuffles I dont know when areminder would have been posted ,As has been said in the past ,
Necessity is the root of all reminders .

Good information, and your right..it is something most of us don't think about!!! Great reminder, thanks Gypsy!

It's true, a lot of people don't quarantinetheir animals, rabbits especially. Hopefully this post reminds peopleto quarantine and there will be healthier bunnies.

I had a friend with a runny nosed bun a coupleof weeks ago. I'm glad I talked to Carolyn and Gypsy beforehandling it. They made me realize I would be putting my ownrabbits' health at risk by doing so. I advised my friend totake hers to the vet instead of having me look at him.

I don't know what I'd do without you guys and this forum!

Laura

Tank is now out of quarantine, but I do change coats so I don't get "buck smell" in the nest box.

Very good idea!

Rose

I am a small breeder and I show fairly extensively. I always quarantine

my show stock from my brood stock as well. I have 2 separate rooms for

my rabbits. You never know if your rabbits will pick up a bug at a show

and you don't want your babies exposed. You can never be too careful.

Roger L

It's silly becauseonce you know youshould quarantine them, it makes ALL the sense in the world - but INEVER would have thought of doing this.

Thanks!! Great reminder.

Great post Gypsy !!!!

I never thought of this when I got Poppy. Big Mama is adifferent story, as she has always had some kind of interaction the Looand Lop.

If I ever get another bun, I think I will follow your guidelines.

Just so I dont foret, this is one for my Bunny Binder.

:hug:

never thought of quaranteening my Kweli when i got her from a pet store. i was lucky that she was healthy.

great thread Gypsy! this reminder will surely save many bunnies!

Nicole

Thanks for the post!!

I would never had thought to do that at all...

Though, now looking back it would probably be a good thing to do with all animals that one brings in.

bren

Thank you - great post. Your 'precautions' aremore extensive then those of some of the nursing homes I have workedin! Alot of care into protecting all your rabbits. That's a wonderfulthing!

sfritzp wrote:
Thank you - great post. Your 'precautions' are moreextensive then those of some of the nursing homes I have worked in!Alot of care into protecting all your rabbits. That's a wonderful thing!

Actually Thats where I picked up 99 % ofthe precautions , That and at one time wasan EMT for many years . When Workingin The Nursing Home Iworked on Critical Care Floor ,where everything was Sterile,We had to go thru these precautionsbefore even entering the Floor . As anEMT Caution was always the rule. Before Hand Sanatizer the best wehad was Alcohol and Betadine , dont getme wrong they work equally as well ,Butnow days Hand Sanarizer is moreconvienent to carry around . Its likeMaster Card and Visa You neverleave home with out it .

gypsy wrote:
Before Hand Sanatizer the bestwe had was Alcohol and Betadine , dontget me wrong they work equally as well,But now days Hand Sanarizer is moreconvienent to carry around . Its likeMaster Card and Visa You neverleave home with out it .
:foreheadsmack:lol!! only you would say that Gypsy .. only you! :p

HA! Tiff I havebeen VAlidated !!!!!!!!! Came over the Morning Show, Using Hand Sanatizer , may or may notcut down on all Germs and Flues, colds etc ! It has been Proven toReduce the incidence of Stomach Virusesin Day CareSystems :brat:

I quaruantine rabbits coming back from the fairfor three weeks.We had a bunnyin the next row sneezing and itwas removed from the fair.i dont know what it had.As many on this boardknow well sneezing in a rabbit may be a serious condition.bluebird

gypsy wrote:
HA!Tiff I have been VAlidated !!!!!!!!! Cameover the Morning Show , Using Hand Sanatizer , mayor may not cut down on allGerms and Flues , colds etc !It has been Proven to Reduce the incidenceof Stomach Viruses in Day CareSystems :brat:
ewww I soknow .. i was a TA in a pre-K/Kindergarten school and I swear I havenever been so sick as I was within the first three months of workingthere! Those kids carry around some wicked germs! we had that stuffmounted on the wall in every room ....we alsohad this crazysanitary spray...like really serious hospital grade stuff ..we wouldhave to lightly wipe down the rooms with diluted bleach and then spraythem downwith this stuff after on a daily basis...yuk!

Very useful info, Gypsy. Like HoneyPot said, itmakes perfect sense to quarenteen, but it isn't something that jumps tomind, especially if you are eager to bond a new bun to an existing one.

Jan

Latest posts

Back