Important Questions-Lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieMillyMommy

Reaction score
I was wondering how often a lionhead should be brushed? Someone said their hair/mane falls out, so does that mean my lionhead wont be a lionhead after so long? Is there anything else I should know about a lionhead before handling one?

There are much more qualified people out there that can possibly answer your questions better, but I'll try my best. I own one Lionhead. Her name is Lily and I brush her every day or every other day if I don't have time. Lily gets mats very easily so I have to keep up the brushing. She doesn't mind it anymore and sits still while I do it. The treat at the end helps. Some Lionheads lose their mane. Peg can probably answer that one better. Lionheads are mischievous little devils that will find their way into your heart. You'll love them! Hope I hellped a bit.

t.

I believe, but could be wrong, that there are two types of lionhead, single maned and double maned.

The single maned bunnies are at risk of losing their mane at their first mega moult, but some keep it and it gets bushier. The double maned bunnies, because they have stronger lionhead genes, don't lose their manes.

A single mane is generally around the face, like a collar type thing. The double is generallythe same place, but on the shoulders and hips too.

But I might be lying, lol. That's what I understood the info to mean.

Doesn't help you with the brushing, but might give you an idea as to whether your bun will keep his/her mane.

The brushing will depend upon your lionhead and the condition of her fur, etc.

myLoki's Lily is a "teddy" lionhead and frequent brushing is recommended to keep her from matting and also to help build the human/rabbit relationship. She can stand a lot of brushing because she has so much hair.

As far as your lionhead losing her mane - that is a tough question. There is no cut and dried question. I have single mane lionhead with nice manes (as adults) and double mane lionheads that have lost their manes before adulthood. Some of my single manes get fuller manes with every molt -other single manes lose their mane at the first or second molt...or they just keep a "tuft" of a mane.

A lot of this also seems to go by certain breeders and lines. Some lines from various breeders do well at keeping their manes - others don't. I don't think it would be right for me to comment on this forum (publicly) about the breeders of the parents of your rabbit....I do have one rabbit from Bash River (the father is from there).

I went back and checked out your thread about her and looked at her picture. I'm not sure if she'll keep her mane or not...maybe a 50/50 chance based upon what I know of her parents etc.

Something to remember is that there is more to lionheads than just their looks. If they have been well socialized - they can have an inquisitive personality and be quite curious. I have/have had: flemish giant, minilop, minirex, netherland dwarf, holland lop, lionhead and I forget what else. I find that the lionheads are pretty close to the holland lops in personality.

When I am ready to sell my lionheads (especially the young ones), I always have people play with them before they pick one out - and I try to push them to look at several lionheads and to get beyond the looks. I remind them that a bunny is made up of its looks AND personality. So even if the rabbit loses the mane - they will understand that the rabbit is still a "person". I'm fortunate in the fact that many of my lionheads are retaining their manes as seniors....

I hope that this helps.

Anyway, I would brush your lionhead as often as she'll allow - start when you first get her and she's young so that she learns to tolerate it and maybe even enjoy it. Use it as a time to talk to her and have a treat for her and stuff...

Peg

PixieMillyMommy wrote:
I was wondering how often a lionhead should be brushed? Someone said their hair/mane falls out, so does that mean my lionhead wont be a lionhead after so long? Is there anything else I should know about a lionhead before handling one?

Ijust got done writing an answer but really wanted to address this post too.

You are both right and wrong in what you're saying (mostly right). Just to clarify.

a. There are single mane lionheads and double mane lionheads. You can tell a single mane (sm) from a double mane (dm) within the first few days and weeks after birth.

b. The sm bunnies *generally* will lose their mane earlier or have less of a mane. HOWEVER...there are sm bunnies who keep getting their mane in nicer and nicer. I have a couple of them...Harry is one....Harriet (Harry's son) is another...Anissa (my first home-grown best of breed winner) is yet another.

The sm will have more of the mane around its head and not really in the flank area (like a skirt).

Here are some photos of single mane lionheads:

Anissa - at about 3 or 4 months of age - after winning her Best of Breed. She is a single mane.

You will notice she still has some skirting at that age.

Here is Harry -her father - he is maybe 18 months old at that time - I'd have to look it up(his age) as I could be wrong:

By the way, I would never EVER put Anissa or Harry on a show table now as I'd be laughed out of the show....even if she does have a nice mane.

I should take an updated photo of Anissa - let me just say that she now - as a single mane - still has as nice of a mane - and maybe even a nicer mane - than many of my double mane does. I suspect it is because her father carries the mane gene that stays.

One of the things I've learned and other breeders have learned - is to watch for the bunnies that have crimping in their mane. You can sort of see it in Harry's mane...it has a crimp or slight curl to it. When a lionhead gets a mane that has this - then I can *almost* guarantee that the rabbit will keep its mane.

This is a picture of my sweetheart, GingerSpice, before she died. She was a double mane.

Notice...no mane. Here is a photo of her as a youngster..

She and her brother both lost their manes - even though they were double maned.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this...

A single mane may be more likely to not show as much mane or to lose their mane...but not always. It depends upon the type of fur in the mane. A double mane without the crimp will frequently lose the mane...while a single mane with the crimp may keep the mane.

That's why if you're going to get a lionhead - do NOT go by looks. It will change as it ages. Lionheads are a "breed in development" and NO breeder can really guarantee anything....especially mane.

Peg

Moominmoo wrote:
I believe, but could be wrong, that there are two types of lionhead, single maned and double maned.

The single maned bunnies are at risk of losing their mane at their first mega moult, but some keep it and it gets bushier. The double maned bunnies, because they have stronger lionhead genes, don't lose their manes.

A single mane is generally around the face, like a collar type thing. The double is generallythe same place, but on the shoulders and hips too.

But I might be lying, lol. That's what I understood the info to mean.

Doesn't help you with the brushing, but might give you an idea as to whether your bun will keep his/her mane.

I guess we posted at the same time.

The answer is "maybe"...as you can see by my 2nd post.

I don't really think that it matters though now that you're committed to her - right? You'll love her for who she is - no matter what she looks like.

:biggrin2:

Peg

PixieMillyMommy wrote:
So a double mane is the best way to go for keeping the lionhead look?

Thanks for explaining Peg. Most of what you explained I already knew, but had forgotten, like the bit about crimping and stuff.

I found a really good site that explained it really well, but I couldn't find it again to post alongside what I had written.

But thanks for the explanation.

Peg....you were supposted to post a picture of Billy Sunny, then & now. He is the sweetest little Lionlop guy, ugly....but sweet :biggrin2:.

You want me to break my new camera by taking a photo of him now?

Ok...so maybe his face is cute...a bit. But he's turned out so ... ugly.

I'll have to take a photo of him to rehome him - so when I take it - I'll share it with the forum in my blog...how's that?

Peg

undergunfire wrote:
Peg....you were supposted to post a picture of Billy Sunny, then & now. He is the sweetest little Lionlop guy, ugly....but sweet :biggrin2:.

Hehe...I have to be honest, that was my thought as well. THIS I gotta SEE! :D

Sealy wrote:
Ok. Now my interest has perked even more... an ugly bunny? I can't believe it. Can't wait to see the pictures!

~Sealy

Latest posts

Back