Important! (no sick bunny)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvbunnies

Reaction score
I'm going to get a cage with a grill. I know I'm going to put the bedding below the grill. How about the bunny? He is going to get sore hocks. So what should I do? Put fleece? How do I attach it? Thanks! Oh! And now in his cage, he pushes the Carefresh bedding out of his hiding box and sleeps on the plastic. I'm not sure if this affects the answers. I'm getting the cage like in 45 mins.

Sorry you got no responses so far, but week ends are usually pretty slow on the forum.

As for wire bottom cages, you can put any type of rabbit safe litter in the drop pan. Shavings or compressed wood pellets will work well.

I normally don't use any bedding in my cages, just the solid floor and litter in the litter box. Rabbits do enjoy lying down on a solid, cool floor. I will give the bunnies a bed or blanket after they are fully litter trained, because they normally pee on it before then.

For litter training, I find it easiest in a solid bottomed cage (I've never actually done it in a wire bottomed one). No bedding, no blankets, just the solid bottom and litter in the litter box. When the bun pees on the floor, I soak it up with tissue and put it in the litter box, and then clean the spot with 50/50 water/vinegar. I clean the cage bottom multiple times a day, often 5-6 times. Keeping the floor bottom clean and the litter box a bit dirty (put a little bit of dirty litter in each time you clean it). The bun normally catches on with in a couple of weeks.

Of course, spaying and neutering really helps too. Young bunnies are often difficult to litter train until they are spayed or neutered.

As for sore hocks with wire bottomed cages, you can provide a resting board for the bun to sit on. That can help if you are concerned about that.

-Dawn

It sounds like he might need a separate hiding box and litter pan, not a wire-bottomed cage. He wants to sleep in his hiding box, so he needs a separate box to use as the bathroom. Dawn's suggestions are also very good.

iluvbunnies wrote:
No offence but seriously??
Many people on this forum (like myself) are not from America, so your posts were between 1.30am and 5.30am, so forgive me if I didn't reply ;)- I was asleep.
Many people have to wait for replies, because people don't have to enough time to reply to every single post that is made, within 7 minutes :)

I agree with all that has been said previously. I also think that if you want to use a wire-bottomed cage, you should line some of it with plastic etc. and then that with a towell, so that he has a place to get off the wire and lie down comfortably. :)

So do you have your cage set up yet?

When I had wire bottom cages I used pieces of wood for the bunnies to sit on if they so desired.

Upload ur piccies onto Photobucket, and then use the URL. You can't post them when u use 'Quick Reply' so use the proper Reply, and click on the little white icon with little round coloured balls on it (3), on the top right hand corner of the 'Reply' box.
:)

Jen

I put the URL code between the "
" right? Or in front of it?

Latest posts

Back