Immersion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro_Girl

New Bunny Mama
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So my buns Molly is really shy. She pretty much hides out in her little hidey hole all day, and only comes out to hop around if i got inside her pen and lie there. Or yes she will come out to eat, but thats it really.

I'm just wondering if maybe i should remove her hidey hole so she can get used to her environment and me??

I've had her about a month.

I dont want her to get scared though :/

Duh, you said a month.. Lol I wouldn't take her hidey thing away. It's her safe place, go sit by her cage and talk to her, read books out loud try treats. Or some buns just don't wanna be bugged. My 2 dwarfs are like that.

Proud mom of 4 fur-butts

Duh, you said a month.. Lol I wouldn't take her hidey thing away. It's her safe place, go sit by her cage and talk to her, read books out loud try treats. Or some buns just don't wanna be bugged. My 2 dwarfs are like that.

Proud mom of 4 fur-butts

lol. I'm just worried she wont get any exercise if she just sleeps in there. And even if i come lie in there, she just circles me and then runs back in there. But ill leave it on so she feels she has somewhere she can go to feel safe!!
i'll continue to sit by her and talk! So we will see how she does over time!

You can also try just going over and sitting by her cage, but ignoring her. Some rabbits feel more comfortable coming out if they sense that you're busy doing something else and not bothering them. Let her come to you in that case.

Spend as much time with her as you can. Each rabbit is different. Lilli is a 12 pound lop mix but her name should be Lump--like our avatar Nikki (3 pounds) she spends most of her time asleep. Serena, our 19+ pound Checkered Giant is very active and also a lap bunny. All of ours are rescues, so it's taken a lot of time and patience with some. Just how it is.

Just wait it out. Keep sitting next to the cage and letting her get used to you.

I recently moved and my bunny hated it. I kept his cage the same but he stayed inside his hide box for over 2 months, only coming out to eat and use his litter box. It just took a lot of time for him to get used to the new place. I would just sit next to his cage and watch tv or read. I'd also talk to him throughout the day like I always do. Some bunnies just don't take change well and it will take a while for them to settle in. I remember having to do the same thing when I first got him. It took months of just sitting close to him before he would explore without being skittish.

Latest posts

Back