I'm taking them. - The sick feed store bunnies are my new fosters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson_is_mine

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you saw my post in the Infirmary (http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34787&forum_id=16) but I've been worried and checking on the bunnies every other day this week. Every time I go in, I see less mushy poo, which hopefully means that they are fighting whatever they have, but when I went there today one of them was doing this coughing thing. For a second I thought it was going to throw up. It was a short episode and continued on as if nothing had happened afterward, but it worried me.

When I went in today, after waiting all week to hear that I could foster them from my parents (THANKS GUYS! xoxo) I almost wasn't going to take them, thinking that they were not in as dire condition as they had been when I saw them on sunday. But then I thought just because they weren't as bad, doesn't mean they still weren't feeling bad and then with the coughing thing...I put them on hold and am picking them up tomorrow night.

They are going to be staying in the basement art room (finished) which is two floors away from Nelson. Enough of a quarentine, I think. The only thing is that the rabbit vet's office is closed until further notice (my apointment today was cancelled actually. I'm sure Nelson doesn't mind, though. That's just longer he gets his manhood.) because a majority of their staff has come down with the flu. I might just take them to my work (I work at a another vets). They treat rabbits, just not that often. The only thing is that Dr. P told me not to get them when I asked her what they might have on sunday. We'll see what happens and if they do better once they're here.

Let's pray that all they need is a bit more fiber and better food and they'll be as good as new and off to a new home!

xoxo

Jordan

That's wonderful news Jordan :)I hope you can nurse them back to health and find them loving homes.

Can't wait to hear more about them and see some pic's too (hint, hint) ;)

Awww, bless you! I think it's really great that you're taking them to get them healthy...

Keep us updated on how they are, and yeah, some pics wouldn't go amiss either! :p

Jen xx

I brought them home and they look SO much better today! All their poo has still been mushy, but they are properly formed and close to normal color (they were black before). They hardly even act sick at all. Maybe I over reacted? They actually binkied within the first fifteen minutes and they are enjoying digging and biting at the grass mat.

And, even better news, someone at my barn has a friend who has been looking for a pair of bonded rabbits for a month or so. I'm hoping to get in contact with them and see if she would be interested once I have know what's going on with them healthwise.

I tried posting pictures of them, but I guess I'm an idiot because they just kept showing up as "x"s. When they're on photo bucket, do I put the link of the full seized picture in the IMG thing or what?

%3Ca%20href=
littleone.jpg

%3Ca%20href=
bigone.jpg

EDITED TO SAY THAT IT'S WORKING. Neither are sexed yet (I'm reading up on it now to do a tenative one, and then when I take them to the vet he'll confirm) so the one in the first picture is being called Little One and the one on the bottom is being called Big One.

When I went to see them this morning they had extremely runny poo. I think it might have been nerves though. It looked like pancake batter. Poor babies.

Good to see you figured out the picture thing. They are both adorable! They have an appointment with the vet?

I'm calling to see if they can be squeezed in tomorrow. I don't know if it will happen, though, since my work is only open to twelve and the rabbit vet is closed d/t illness. I could also try the vet that my neighbor took her rabbits to when they got spayed.

Well tomorrow is Sunday anyway so I doubt any veterinarians office is open.

How are they doing? Are they active and eating okay?

I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well :)

I'm happy to report that the amount of runny poo has greatly decreased. This morning there were actually some normal, solid poos. I was so happy I actually texted a whole bunch of my friends and told them about it. I'm now know as the "poo analyst".

I had no luck sexing them last night, I just received a chorus of thumping after I put them back in their cages. Big One, who has been the sicker, was actually spotted playing with a tissue box last night. I'm taking that as a very good sign, as I've only seen it (him?her?) lay in the back unless eating or drinking. Little One, of course, has his usual amount of spunk. I've decided that I feel safe calling Little One he because he's such a little man. I'm going to feel so bad if he turns out to be a she. Oh well.

They eat POUNDS of hay. I don't even know how they can fit it all in their little bodies! Also, does Alphalfa hay really look that much different than Timothy hay? Nelson has timothy and when I opened the bag of alphafa I thought something was wrong. It's so green. They eat all of their pellets, too, the piggies. I'm refilling the bowl twice, sometimes three times a day.

I couldn't get into see the vet today, even with my connections, so we'll see when I can get them in this week.

Also, Big One has learned that by thumping, someone will poke their head in the room to check that everything is okay. It's impossible to be in the room next door if they know you're there because Big One'll thump until you give up on checking on them and just sit with them. We'll have to work on unlearning that trick...it's cute though.

Thanks everyone for the comments and I'll continue to update. I'm thinking about making them a blog....

You might want to give them a bit of canned pumpkin to help with the poo....it should firm them up.

I'm so glad you have them - they're adorable!

I think I've managed to get the only rabbits who don't like pumpkin. Is there any suggestions as to how to make it more appetizing? I tried mixing some in with their food, but they just kicked the comtaminated food out.

Latest posts

Back