I'm so scared

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseykah

Reaction score
Hi, I have a bunny named Aiko. He is my world. I think he's sick (he isn't eating much/pooping) but I don't know what to do. I don't have much money. I called the vet to ask them if I brought him in if they'd take payments from me but they said no. They told me to apply for a carecredit card (I guess like a credit card for the vet) but they refused me because I'm already in debt. I'm so afraid they're just going to let him die. :cry2 What can I do??

Hey! You have the same name as me (Jessyka, I'm assuming.) :biggrin2:

I'd suggest running the pet store ASAP and getting Benebac in the squeeze tubes. Follow the instructions and see if that helps. It'll help get your rabbits gut moving.

Hi Jessey:

It sounds as though he either has gas or is going into GI statis. The first line of defense is to give him baby simethicone, which is readily available (and inexpensive) at any drug store. I would syringe at least 3 droppers full right away and repeat after an hour if no improvement. You really can't give them too much of this. You can also give tummy massages to help move gas, if that is what it is.

I'm not an infirmary mod, I'm just speaking from experience. I'm sure an infirmary mod will be along soon to give you further advise, but this would be a good start.

Best wishes!

jesseykah wrote:
Is it expensive??
And my name is spelled Jessikah (so were both weird lol)
It isn't. I think it's only $5 or $6. Also, rabbits can't pass gas, but it doesn't mean they can't get gas. It just has no where to go, which I'd imagine causes pain.

jesseykah wrote:
But I thought Bunnies can't fart

Lol, I have never heard one, but we have had a number of posts in the past about bunnies farting.

They can still build up gas. When I have massaged gassy bunny bellies, I have heard the gas bubbles moving down the gut. When bunnies have gas they usually enjoy a tummy massage. Massage gently from top towards the tail. I've read that having the rear elevated a bit helps too.

Has anything changed in his world? Any new food introduced? When did the symptoms first start?

Is he eating at all? If so, what?

Can you also please post the answers to this thread? http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44529&forum_id=16

Also, if you could put your location in your profile that would be great thanks, it means you can get more appropriate help because things differ place to place.

Yes, this is from the link Flashy provided, and we could really use this information;
----------------------------------

If you're posting about a sick bunny in the Infirmary, please provide the following information:

- Description (Breed, color., weight)

- spayed/neutered?

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?
- When did they last use their litterbox?
- Any unusual behavior?

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?
- when and what did s/he eat last?

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?

- has the rabbit been outdoors?

Thanks!

Flashy wrote:
Has anything changed in his world? Any new food introduced? When did the symptoms first start?

Is he eating at all? If so, what?

Can you also please post the answers to this thread? http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44529&forum_id=16

Also, if you could put your location in your profile that would be great thanks, it means you can get more appropriate help because things differ place to place.
Yes, I did buy him a new brand of pellets but I'm not sure if he's eaten them at all. I noticed he wasn't eating the day after I bought them. I thought maybe he was just being picky about the food but he's not eating anything else either. He's eaten some hay but wouldn't touch a carrot so I tried giving him apple (since it's his fave) and he only ate half a slice. That's when I started getting really worried.
Do you think I should try getting his old brand of food and see if he'll eat that??

Yes, getting his old brand of food would be good.

Did you introduce the new food to him slowly? If not, it may have upset his tummy, add to the fact that it is all new and that's a bit of a hard place for him to be.

Pipp wrote:
Yes, this is from the link Flashy provided, and we could really use this information;
----------------------------------

If you're posting about a sick bunny in the Infirmary, please provide the following information:

- Location - Escondido, CA (United States)

- Description (Breed, color., weight) He's a palomino. Creamy light brown with white underside. Probably about 2 or so pounds

- Age he'll be 2 tomorrow

- spayed/neutered? unfortunately not :( it's so expensive and I'm a student supporting myself.

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? he's peeing a little from what I can tell but not pooping very much. When he does poop its very small and hard.
- When did they last use their litterbox? he peed a little while ago
- Any unusual behavior? thats the weird part. He seems pretty much normal. He doesn't seem to want to move very much (which I wouldn't want to either if I was constipated) but is still very fiesty and willing to fight back when I gave him the Rabbit Lax I just bought. He doesn't seem to be hotter than usual (fever wise) or lethargic.

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? no

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? pellets, hay, some fresh veggies every once in a while.

- when and what did s/he eat last? he ate some hay and a slice of apple last night. That was the last time I saw him eat something but it doesn't mean he didn't eat more hay while I was sleeping

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? he seems fine except for not wanting to move too much

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? no. He's higher up on his own stand with nothing in reach that he shouldn't be eating

- has the rabbit been outdoors? not recently

Thanks!

Flashy wrote:
Yes, getting his old brand of food would be good.

Did you introduce the new food to him slowly? If not, it may have upset his tummy, add to the fact that it is all new and that's a bit of a hard place for him to be.
er... no. What happened was my usual pet store had closed before I could get to it so I went to petsmart and they didn't have my usual food so I bought some that looked similar. I thought because it was similar it wouldn't be a problem.. my friend is coming over for moral support so when she gets here I'll go buy him his old food and see if he'll want that. For now I'm just waiting to see if the Rabbit Lax will help at all.

I don't know whether Rabbit Lax is a sensible idea. Can you tell us more about it? ingredients? What it says on the label, etc?

When you are out, definitely get some benebac and also something with the active ingredient simethicone (baby gas meds) it MAY be called Ovol where you are.

Flashy wrote:
I don't know whether Rabbit Lax is a sensible idea. Can you tell us more about it? ingredients? What it says on the label, etc?

When you are out, definitely get some benebac and also something with the active ingredient simethicone (baby gas meds) it MAY be called Ovol where you are.
It says: "Rabbits may develop hairballs and/or food impaction of the stomach, conditions that will prevent the normal passage of digested food. Use Peter Rabbit Lax to help remove items that may not pass through their system. Symptoms: An early sign of hairballs and/or impaction is a notable decrease in fecal pellet production and in food intake.
It says it's approved and recommended by leading veterinarians and breeders. I looked at the benebac but they didn't have it for rabbits. Only hamsters and stuff

That sounds not an ideal product for rabbits, to be honest, but I'll let someone else comment on that.

I also don't know what benebac is ok, but someone else should (I don't live in the US, which is my hinderance).

I think your best bet is buying some canned pumpkin, which is nice wet high fiber, and try to get him to drink as much water (or even juice flavored water), and to get him exercising.

It really is probably just a bit of a digestion upset. The biggest thing is to keep an eye on his poops. As long as he's still pooping, he's not in stasis. But if they are getting smaller and harder, you do need to treat him and watch him carefully.

The pumpkin will fluff up his poops and hydrate him. The upset is probably giving him gas, so the gas meds are also good, as are very long tummy massages.

The rabbit hair ball treatment isn't as good as keeping him hydrated. The intestinal track needs fiber and fluids to wash the material through the system. The stuff you have is probably an oil-based product that will coat the mass and not let it get hydrated and come out naturally.

(Is he moulting btw? Did the questionairre ask that?)

Also watch for other little signs of discomfort or anything else unusual. Make sure he's peeing normally and not straining to pee, and that it's a normal color.

Its probably the change in food, but it could be another ailment putting off his system.

sas :clover:

Flashy wrote:
That sounds not an ideal product for rabbits, to be honest, but I'll let someone else comment on that.

I also don't know what benebac is ok, but someone else should (I don't live in the US, which is my hinderance).

Bene-bac is a pro-biotic, it may help if the problem is an imbalance in the intestinal tract. I always use a pro-biotic if the rabbit has been prescribed an antibiotic (you give the pro-biotic three hours after the antibiotic) and it balances the bacteria in the gut. I'll also give it to rabbits with 'poopy butt' or soft cecals.

It wouldn't hurt in this case, but it appears to be more of a system slowdown than an imbalance, so I personally wouldn't bother looking for it at this point. Nice to have on hand, though.

sas

DO NOT USE THE "RABBIT LAX". That stuff will just dehydrate and compress ingesta and make a gut problem worse. Stuff is sold under several names but nothing that is a gel (including Nutri Cal) is appropriate for a rabbit. That stuff comes from a time (not so long ago) that it was thought a cat and a rabbit should be treated the same.

I suspect your rabbit is suffering from a gas issue due to the food change. The best defense is hydration (and this can be in the form of greens) along with simethicone. Simethicone is not absorbed into the body but acts on the surface tension of the gas bubbles which will allow them to assimilate and be passed. And rabbits can pass gas....it has to come out somewhere. Encourage him to move around as much as possible without undue stress. A heating pad (covered with towel and on lowest setting) will also be comforting.

Our rule of thumb in rescue (both domestic and wildlife) is hydration before nutrition. Dehydration in these situations is a self feeding problem. Ideally, sub-q fluids would be the way to best do this....but orally, by syringe if necessary, will work. We rarely have these problems here due to our feeding protocols....but if we do, a couple of leaves of Romaine Lettuce or a hand full of Spring Mix usually does the trick. Hydration, hydration, hydration.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
That stuff comes from a time (not so long ago) that it was thought a cat and a rabbit should be treated the same.

My $.02 worth of slightly OT:

"A time" like last year when the vet gave me "Catlax" for Hershey's "hairball"? Fortunatly I asked about it here before giving it to him!

Latest posts

Back