I'm so dissapointed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarzoo

Reaction score
I haven't posted it to the infirmary yet but the Checkered Giant doe, Chowder, I keep for my friend has developed severe sore hocks. They are to the point that she might not recover from them. It makes me so mad (mostly at myself, a bit at my friend, and a bit at Chowder for her horrendous litter habits).

And tonight I found a very small sore developing on my lovey Uno's foot. I about flipped out. He is now bedded on 4 inches deep of fresh straw. The sore is really small, so hopefully it won't continue to grow.

I have a bit of a diary I've been keeping charting how I've been caring for Chowder to help someone dealing with this same problem in the future. I've been raising rabbits for 10 years and I've never had a single foot problem! I keep my cages and rabbits impeccably clean and they have very large cages. Ugh! So frustrating.

I just wanted to vent. I hate seeing my rabbits unhappy- they are such an important part of my life.

That sucks. Have you talked to Pam? She's been through severe sore hocks with her son's Belgian Hare Heart.

Just a thought- would Vet Bed or a similar product help? It's padding made for ill animals, it lets liquids go straight through to the next layer which could be anything absorbent. It keeps the top layer dry. Plus it's soft. I know Bassetluv had something like this for Raph and I've seen lots of recommendations for it.

:hug:

Thanks about the idea to PM Pam. I'll send one her way. I forgot that I had read about her dealing with sore hocks with her sons rabbit.

I'll ask about the Vet Bed. Sounds like a good product. Hopefully I can get some. Right now both of Chowder's back feet are wrapped and she is in a huge ground pen on very thick straw. She's loving it.

I am so worried about her. :(

Surprisingly, my smallest bunnie has the most problems with sore hocks.
They come out of nowhere, too.

She's got good litter habits.
She has several choices of flooring surfaces to choose from.
Her nails are not overgrown (leads to improper placement of foot).
Go figure?!?!:?

I periodically need to treat her with Neosporin, and it clears up in a couple of days.
I'll be trying Bag Balm in the future.

Back