IM REALLY SCARED (building a nest) (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c&c babies

Reaction score
my bunny is ripping fur and taking ,mouthfuls of it and trying to nest shes not spayed but she has never been with a buck im so so scared and i dont know what to do :(

any one and everyone please help me iv heard bad things about this before thats why im spazing out PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!:tears2:

thanks you so much

Okay- don't panic!! :)

It is not uncommon for does to go through phantom/false pregnancies, meaning they haven't mated at all, yet they go through the motions of being pregnant; nesting, pulling fur, and acting protective and hostile around her 'nesting' environment.

Just let her get on with it, and after a few days she should stop.

If you don't intend to breed from her than I would strongly suggest you get her spayed, to protect her from uterine cancer. After about the age of 2 years (I believe), unspayed does develop a high risk of uterine cancer. The only way to safely protect your doe from this is to spay her.
Also, Does that go through repeated false pregnancies do have a chance of getting health disorders, such as mastitis (infected mammary glands).

So don't panic! She's fine ;)

well my bunny clover is next to her but they are seperated by a wire fence and the vet said clover is a girl but i guess you can never be sure

c&c babies wrote:
you have calmed me down alot and i think im going to get her spayed thank you so much jcottonl02

It's no problem c&c babies :)

Def get her spayed if you don't want to breed ;).

Funny story. My friend was trying to breed her Chinchilla Netherland Dwarf for ages! She would put her with another Nethie, and they would seem to 'do the deed', and then Whisper would go through all the motions of being pregnant......to end up not being. Either this was a phantom pregnancy, or her reabsorbing the foetal tissue.
Rabbits have the amazing ability to reabsorb the foetus in the very earliest stages of pregnancy (yes, it sounds unbelievable, but I assure you it is true), usually when the 'pregnant' doe has limited nutrition, and high stress levels, which usually happens in times when the warren is too full, and food and space is limited.
Eventually she did breed though lol! But it would always be 'dammit- a false pregnancy again! We were all so prepared!'

But I honestly wouldn't worry at all. This seems like perfectly normal, common behaviour, that happens with lots of does :)

Bunnies can mate through a wire divider too, if very motivated. Just make sure she doesn't go into labor and have difficulties with it. If there's blood and she seems really distressed, it could be pregnancy complications.

It sounds like a false pregnancy.

Several of my does have gone through this before.
My Chippy does it quite often. Sometimes when she really gets obsessed with it, I'll give her a shoe box and she'll build a nest in it. A few days later she gets it out of her system and dismantles the nest and returns to her old self.

IMO, I'd give her a box and keep a close eye on her for the next several days.

thanks everyone i think im going to take her to the vet and if she is not pregnant i will get her spayed :)

The Vet may not be able to tell. Rabbits seem to hide everything well, including pregnancy. ;)

It may take some costly tests to confirm it.

Most of the time you just count up to 31 days from the time you think she may have been with a boy bunny and cross your fingers!

Hope you get some answers, though.

As others have said, false pregnancies are common. Darry goes through one every couple of months at least.

She builds a lovely nest. :)

sas :clover:

ha ha yea shes building a very nice nest so do you know how long after bunnies build a nest they give birth

It depends--some bunnies build a nest right before birth, some only a day before, some weeks before (and then break it apart, re-make, etc). A false pregnancy is very common and is the most likely answer. However, we never tell someone to NOT go to the vet! Since you have only gotten her recently, it's good to have the vet make sure everything is fine, and at least try to see if he can feel babies in there.

Latest posts

Back