Im Paranoid

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
Babii will be 5 in March (20th, to be exact)
and i'm honestly terrified of her getting older.
She's been with me through everything, and she's my girl, she even acts like me.. haha.
But with her getting older.. it scares me to know that I can wake up to her not..well, you know.
I don't go to sleepovers with my friends because I want to be around her.
She sleeps beside my bed.
During the night, if shes not making noise i'll run over to her cage and make sure she's ok.
Hmph.
Anyone else, feel like this ?

If she is spayed, then I am sure she has lots of years left with you :). If she isn't spayed, then I would be very worried about her dying young because of uterine cancer.

Morgan will be 4 next June and I am sad to see him age....but I know he has plenty of years left with me! Same with my kitty, Juju, he will be 3 in December but I know he's still a youngin'. With the rats on the other hand, who are lucky to make it past 2, I get sad when they age...every month that does by is sad because I know they are getting closer to death.

Yep. I can understand. My first bun lived to be 6 with congestive heart failure, my second, whose anniversary is tommorow of 2 years she's been gone, of which I have no answer, was 7. Snuff I think is about 5, so, yeah, that thought is floating around...

Need to get another soon...

Hubby is going to lose it...

Ugh, yeah, lots of thoughts.:hug:

You really shouldn't dwell on thoughts of losing her! She has made your life SO much more enjoyable and has obviously been a wonderful comfort over the last 5 years. Be grateful that she came into your life when you needed her... Angels come in all forms... she is yours and you have been blessed!

None of us know how long we have on this earth... enjoy whatever time you have with those you love and don't worry about what MIGHT be... it will overshadow and control you to the point that you won't be able to appreciate what is being given to you. :hug:

undergunfire wrote:
If she is spayed, then I am sure she has lots of years left with you :). If she isn't spayed, then I would be very worried about her dying young because of uterine cancer.

Morgan will be 4 next June and I am sad to see him age....but I know he has plenty of years left with me! Same with my kitty, Juju, he will be 3 in December but I know he's still a youngin'. With the rats on the other hand, who are lucky to make it past 2, I get sad when they age...every month that does by is sad because I know they are getting closer to death.

She isn't Spayed.
I got her when I didn't know.. well, anything about rabbits. So when I finally realized all this (when I joined ;)) she was too old. No vet will Spay her. I've even gotten told for a regular check-up theres 'no point' because if she's lived this long with nothing wrong (that I can see) then a vet would be a waste of money because even if there is something wrong, she's too old for surgury like that, and medacine could effect her badly ?.. this came from a vet tech.

BlueGiants wrote:
You really shouldn't dwell on thoughts of losing her! She has made your life SO much more enjoyable and has obviously been a wonderful comfort over the last 5 years. Be grateful that she came into your life when you needed her... Angels come in all forms... she is yours and you have been blessed!

None of us know how long we have on this earth... enjoy whatever time you have with those you love and don't worry about what MIGHT be... it will overshadow and control you to the point that you won't be able to appreciate what is being given to you. :hug:
Thanks

I feel bad because I know she doesn't have.. per say another 5 years..
So I often slip her a few more cheerios or fruit..
:)

Awh, dont worry when im going through a rough patch I hug my bunnies, then I think of how long they have left.
then by some timing one of them licks me.
*they can read minds*
Dont worry, she is very well looked after and have long long time, but as someone said you might be hit my a falling mashmello tomorrow, you'll never know.

I've had quite a few rabbits live to 9 or 10... don't try to predict the future. She sounds wonderful!

Brandy456 wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

She isn't Spayed.
I got her when I didn't know.. well, anything about rabbits. So when I finally realized all this (when I joined ;)) she was too old. No vet will Spay her. I've even gotten told for a regular check-up theres 'no point' because if she's lived this long with nothing wrong (that I can see) then a vet would be a waste of money because even if there is something wrong, she's too old for surgury like that, and medacine could effect her badly ?.. this came from a vet tech.

No way!I am a firm believer that animals that are speutered, live healthier & longer lives. Many people believe that.

I think you really do need to find a new vet :(. 5 years old is YOUNG. Benson, my foster, was 9 when he went in for surgery to remove his bad eye ball. It sounds like your vet thinks Babi is "just a rabbit".

Thats wierd...our girl Sophie was spayed at just over 5 years...and on an unhappy note she was chock full of cancer...if they had spayed her sooner she would have lived...but the cancer had spread to her abdominal walls and it was too late for her.

I am a HUGE supporter of spaying/neutering...I have lost two adoptions to cancer so far...one was5+ and the other was just over 3 years...I would look for anothervet!

Danielle

Runestonez wrote:
Thats wierd...our girl Sophie was spayed at just over 5 years...and on an unhappy note she was chock full of cancer...if they had spayed her sooner she would have lived...but the cancer had spread to her abdominal walls and it was too late for her.

I am a HUGE supporter of spaying/neutering...I have lost two adoptions to cancer so far...one was 5+ and the other was just over 3 years...I would look for another vet!

Danielle 
Not to sound.. mean, but i'm terrified of finding out she has some illness like that.. and knowing you can't stop it..idk if I could handle something like that.

That is why prevention is the key. She really needs to be spayed. I'd find another rabbit savvy vet who will spay her. Not ALL female rabbits get uterine cancer, but you are better safe then sorry.

It is hard to see pets get older...but you can't predict things.

I've felt cursed because I can't seem to keep a bunny past 3 years....Finley has now crossed that mark, and is also about five years old.

And yes, sometimes I worry about it...but I've also lost bunnies with no warning after not having them as long. I think we have to believe that things happen for a reason, and that no matter how much time is left, we need to enjoy it.

In many cases worrying won't change the outcome. Give her lots of love and enjoy each day you have. :)

During the night, Babii usually makes A LOT of noise, this is her 'i'm awake, lets play' time.
I can usually hear her from my room (she's in the room beside me because i'm utterly afraid to wake up and see her.. passed on)
Last night, I gave her water, and food.. and went to bed.
At 3 am I woke up, went to use the washroom and came back and I hadn't heard a peep from her.
Then I laid in bed, thinking it was odd, but yet to afraid to go check... plus, it was 3 am, my mind was else wheres.
I got back up around 9:45 and still hadn't heard her (I can usually hear her faintly when I sleep.. kind of like she's in my dream because she's so loud)
So I got up, and sat on the couch in the living room and went on MSN on my cell phone.
I talked to Dave and told him what was going on and he urged me to go check on her, throwing random illnesses that would make me want to go check.
Heres the thing,
Babii is my everything. She's the only fur baby my mom didn't end up getting rid of. She comforted me when my Dad passed away, she laid in bed with me when there was a thunder storm.. she's pretty much my everything.. the glue that keeps me sane.

So I got up and went to talk to my mom in the Kitchen and asked her if she'd go check for me.
The whole two minutes she went I was fearing the worst.
My mom came back to me, and told me Babii must've FINALLY changed schedule because she was sleeping.
So then I asked "Are you SURE she was sleeping" supposedly my mom made a noise that made Babii jump..
:D
Now i made a promise with Dave, and myself that if this ever happens again i'll go check
:)

aww i know how scary it is my girls turning 5 around the sametime as yours and im scared to check on her every morning incase shes not here anymore! shes my princess and she licks my fingers for treats :inlove:

shes a dental rabbit and the vet scared me a couple of months ago by saying once shes5 she may start taking the aneasthetic badly as shes going into older age (although im not sure my vets areaware that they can live until their 12)

try not to think about her dying hun and just love having her around and appreciate the time you have with her. take pictures and make videos and remember thatmemories will never die infact its memories that will keep us smileing through all stages of our life :)

Latest posts

Back