I'm not 100% sure about some hay I got

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I have some 2nd cut "enhanced timothy hay"

2nd cut enhanced:

Similar to "2nd Cut With Clover" (ExceptWithout Clover).
Slightly MoreFiber Than Regular "2nd Cut", But
Without TheHeavy Coarseness of 1st Cut Hay.
This Hay Has High Levels Of Nutrition & Fiber

Usually I get the 2nd cut timothy hay and this seems to smell a little different. I'm not sure ifit's just the quality or if there may be a mold factor. This batch of hay isn't straight from the seller, but from someone who "donated" some to me (for a lack of a better term).

I am vaguely aware of the dangers of moldy hay (enough so as to not feed it to the buns) but I don't see white or anything so I'm just unsure.

IF there were even a hint of mold on the hay is there a way to reverse it? Could I possibly spread the hay out and let it sun-bake (believe me, it's HOT outside) in order to make it safe?

I don't know that there is mold, and again this is a type of hay I haven't ordered before so I may be very wrong.

I just dont want to throw good stuff out (hay is like gold here) but at the same time...

If there is mold in the hay, there is no way to reverse it. The hay will have to be put in compost or the garbage.

Also, if there is mold, you can normally smell it. If the hay smells grassy and clean, it should be. With mold, there with be that musty/moldy smell.

I'm not an expert with hay, but I've had my fair share of bales of hay. Some have been awesome, and some have been "eh". My buns have eaten them all.

Could you take some pictures of the hay? What colour is it? Is it a healthy green or a funny colour?

--Dawn

I think I read on EB that mold spores can be in hay and not visible. If you are even saying the word "mold" it must not smell very good.
I don't know anyway that I would trust to reverse the process.

I doubt that you'll use it based just on what you said. :(

Latest posts

Back