I'm new here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunrab

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. Would like to ask a few questions.

1) I have a 4mths old lop rabbit who is a male. His testicle had notdesend yet. So does that means he is not matured yet and cannot beneutered?

2) I intend to get him a female companion. Lets say i got a 3mths oldfemale rabbit, how high is the chance of her getting pregnant if i failto spray them in time?

3) Usually when is the time to spray the male and female ?

Welcome to the forum!

Onnie is right. Rabbits can get pregnant as early as 3months. Have you had a vet check your boy? Rabbitscan pull their testicles up into their bodies when they are scared- youmight not see them if they are there. Although it is possiblethat he hasn'thit pubertyyet.

Males can get neutered at 4 months or so, provided that their testicleshave descended. It is usually recommended to waitlongerfor females as the surgery is more invasive.6 months is usually what is recommended, butagoodvet will know what is best.

Actually i was thinking of bringing them bothtogether for the op so that they can recover together and its seemsthat its rather difficult to book a date with the vet. My past bun hadto wait three months before she get to do her surgery... but sadly, shedied recently...

Hi, Please keep in mind that afterbeing neutered, sperm is still alive. He can still get herpregnant. My Vet says that a week is sufficient for all thepresent (pre-surgery) sperm to die off and he be safely allowed to bewith a female. I prefer to wait a month, so his hormonessettle (etc), just to be sure. Charlotte

Also, a female that has just been spayedshouldn't be around males until she is healed. Neutered maleswill still sometimes mount, and that could be painfull for her.

My advice is to neuter your male, wait a month, and then get afemale. If you really want to get a girl now, keep themseparate. Make sure they don't have any contact- they caneven mate through wire cage walls. And be very, verycareful. Accidents happen all the time. Just do asearch here and you'll find plenty of unintended baby bunnies thatbelong to people who did their best to keep the rabbits separate.

Latest posts

Back