I'm new here, first time rabbit "owner" (fostering)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerKid

Reaction score
I just picked up GROUCHO yesterday from the Humane Society. I've been volunteering there with the buns since about October and fell in love with the bunnies! I don't know much about Groucho's history but he was VERY stressed out in the shelter so he needed a quiet home to stay in. Currently, that's my home!

He's doing a LOT better since I saw him in the shelter yesterday. When he was in the shelter, he was trying to hide behind his hay rack and the side of the cage and he looked so scared. Last night, after I let him run around the living room he started doing a lot better. He's being very curious instead of hiding in a corner.

It's going to take a while for us to get to know each other and for me to learn what he likes, but so far I think it's a positive experience.

Since I'm just fostering him to provide him with a quiet environment, I'll have him for two weeks until he is old enough to get neutered and then he'll either come back home with me or back to the shelter or in a new foster home.

In a nutshell, that's the beginning of the story of me and Groucho. By the way, he came into the shelter with that name. So far, he doesn't seem like much of a grouch to me!

I look forward to getting to know everyone and in getting some bunny tips for a first time bunny "owner."

GingerKid wrote:
Since I'm just fostering him to provide him with a quiet environment, I'll have him for two weeks until he is old enough to get neutered and then he'll either come back home with me or back to the shelter or in a new foster home.
:wave:and welcome. have bet my bunnies a carrot that groucho will come back home with you:biggrin2:

But of course... :biggrin2: when I get home. I’m at work right now, but I took a couple of pix of him last night I’ll upload a couple tonight when I get home. He’s beautiful but I’m not sure what breed. Poor guy has a slight infection in his right eye though but I’m giving him drops so it should clear up soon.

I found a pic of Groucho on the shelter's website. I'll update it as soon as I get home, as it makes me sad since he's huddled in the corner and I know he's scared. It'll work for now to give everyone a "sneak peak" of what he looks like.

I probably will end up adopting him. He has such personality and I think he'll be a lot of fun :biggrin2:

Welcome to the forum! Thats great you are able to foster Groucho, he looks cute.

Maybe he's called Groucho after Groucho Marxs the actor, he had a big black moustache under his nose. Looks like your bun may have a black mark under his nose.

That is neat that you took this rabbit into your home.Rabbitsare amazing, they are very cute and lovable. They are definitely inexpensive to own and they will be a lifelong friend.

I think that you should adopt him! Anyone else think so too?

I'm so glad he's getting a taste of home life, even if he doesn't end up with you permanently (of course, I want him to end up with you permanently!). We have a few bunnies at the shelter that just seem to be getting meaner and meaner, they could really benefit from a foster situation. I hope Groucho becomes Sweetie in your house! It's so great that you're doing that for him. And Welcome!

I think he is named after the actor now that you mention it. He is a very happy bunny now that he got out of the shelter for a bit. He isn't shy and scared and is loving all of the free space to run wild (he has "free range" of our kitchen, living room, and dining room). We are definitely still adjusting to each other and my boyfriend and I are adjusting to having a bunny in the house but we're enjoying it. I also have more pictures of him!

2009_03_18038.jpg

2009_03_18052copy.jpg

No really cute bunny poses yet, just Groucho relaxing. I'm sure I'll get a lot more pix of him to post! :)

:hello and :welcome1 to RO Gingerkid :)

Groucho is really sweet, good for you volunteering - bunnies are easily loved! Once you have 1 theres no going back :p Its so nice of you giving Groucho a home for a while but like others have said I bet you will fall in love with him and won't want to let him go :D
This forum is a great place to ask any questions no matter how stupid they sound they've probably been asked before and someone will have the answer - so post away :)

Hope to see you around the forum and can't wait to see more pictures of Groucho :)

Awww how could you NOT love a little face like that?! Very handsome bunny
My hats off to you for fostering him - really gives me hope for the rest of mankind when someone perform such a wonderful service - I think you're like his guardian angel here on earth - it was just meant to be

Groucho is an adorable Bunny! He looks nice and relaxe at your home! I hope you keep him! He seems to really love being with you!! Bunnies are amazing pets!

Latest posts

Back