I'm looking for a less dusty hay source...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linda replied about the purple thing.
She says "This was a newly planted field, and I also have been finding some of those in the hay. My farmer assures me they are just other grasses that blew in, and they are safe to eat. He tells me the third cut timothy that I will be getting next month is much cleaner because it has gotten way more dense as it grew."
So it's some kind of grass. :)
Looking forward to the 3rd cut!

I just got my order from Sweet Meadows....
It's nicer than the last order.

It doesn't smell as sweet....but still smells nice.
Thequality it more like a third cut.
The bunsall dove right in, so it looks like they approve of it.
I may put in another order right away.

JimD wrote:
I just got my order from Sweet Meadows....
It's nicer than the last order.

It doesn't smell as sweet....but still smells nice.
Thequality it more like a third cut.
The bunsall dove right in, so it looks like they approve of it.
I may put in another order right away.

You're referring to SM's standard timothy hay, right? It's actually a mix between sweet meadow hay and timothy. But I suppose that the mix between the two differs between batches.

I'm glad that your crew loves it. My guys don't seem to like it; I wish that they did.

The KM bluegrass is amazingly clean. Kirby gobbles it up like crazy! Toby seems to be less excited...
My question is - is bluegrass hard enough to wear down rabbit teeth? It seems to be much softer than the timothy stems. The bluegrass is definitely very long which is good for the gut, but what about teeth?

Just adding my two cents... I love the Kleenmama's 2nd cut timothy. Very nice, not too dusty, and not gross and brown. Both bunnies attack their hay. They've started eating twice as much hay since they were switched to KM from Oxbow. It was funny to watch Sammi try KM when we first got her from the shelter. She nibbled a little, chowed down, then flopped on top of it (still eating). She was in heaven. I bought a big box, and although the shipping is high, it was worth it. Plus, it's funny to watch the delivery guy struggling with a 50# box. Then when he asks what it is, the look his face was priceless when I said it was hay! ;)

I am in total agreement about the quality of KM hay. I am about ready to order another 45# box and will either get bluegrass or 3rd cut. I just love to see the buns get excited about their hay!!

Is that what you call it? Excited? I've gotten attacked over that hay! I've found Toby in the KM box, buried in hay (he jumped up on the box where I had been taking hay from, and he fell in the hole). He was in hog heaven!

kherrmann3 wrote:
I've found Toby in the KM box, buried in hay (he jumped up on the box where I had been taking hay from, and he fell in the hole). He was in hog heaven!
:laugh:

Huff puff... 3 hours...I've been hunched over all the hay in my house for 3 hours and I am only HALF way done sorting everything out. BUT....

Kleenmama's 3rd cut Timothy: I got my 15 lbs of KM 3rd cut and 15 lbs of bluegrass... well I pulled out the bag of 3rd cut tim first and...I am in absolute awe. The quality of the hay, the lush green, the fresh, sweet aroma. The lack of my eyes watering, itchy throat and runny nose!! I am beyond thrilled with the 3rd cut. I have very sensitive skin and I handled the whole 15 lb bag with my bare hands without a single stick, poke, cut, scratch or skin break of any kind. Now that is what I call SOFT hay. But at the same time, it is very flexible, long and what I would term "chewy" for a bunny. It's not brittle and piece-y like I thought it might be. I think the bunnies will love love love it. (I am just integrating a little bit at a time, mixing it in with their current Oxbow hay)

The last 5-8 lbs of Oxbow I have took me about 90 minutes to pick through strand by strand to find the long stems worth keeping. Toby loves a crunchy piece of hay, so kept them for him. I salvaged a lot, tossed the rest of the horrible dust. Shockingly, 15lbs of uncompacted 3rd cut stuffed 2 large rubbermaid bins PLUS another small bin that I use to transport hay day to day. I have not even touched the 15lb bag of bluegrass yet - and because I literally have no space to put it in, I don't know WHEN I'm going to be able to crack it open to feed.

There wasquite alot of "stuff" in the timothy though. Some woody stems with some pokey fuzzy things growing off it, and some weird looking grass mixed in. I picked them out, I figure I might as well do it all now instead of a little every single day at feeding time.

In any case, my review of 3rd cut KM hay = dustless and amazing!:highfive:

Back