I'm just wondering...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Now, before I go any further, please understandthat my buns have had a fair few litters over the years, and I know'proper' bunny breeding practice. I am merely wondering if anyone hasever done this.

We have two girls, that are so mighty dependent on each other. They doeverything together, groom each other, do things at the same time, theyare truly bonded (and twin sisters, I might add).

[align=center]
4hk61wl.jpg
[/align]
[align=left]Now, we would love to breed with them. We have twopotential bucks, and would like to mate one doe with one buck, and theother doe with the other buck. Which, we know, would involve separatingthem.

We joked about if they bred and stayed together, we wouldn't know whowould be mothering which, etc, which kits belonged to which doe, etc.

And then I started wondering whether anyone had actually done this(either intentionally or accidently), ended up with two mothers and twolitters in a hutch, and what had happened?

And don't worry, I don't intend to try it, I was just curious, that's all.
[/align]

Hi Flashy,

Instead of twin sisters I have mother and daughter in the same hutch(The hutch is big enough for them both ) and theres a possibility theyare both pregnant, but I dont have another hutch to move one or theother.

So I too would like to know this and if they would get on ok?

Mom had a litter in there before and the daughter just seemed to babysit lol

Heather

Though I have heard of two does having litterstogether in a very large enclosure on the ground (where they had enoughroom to have their own space), I wouldn't recommend it. Especially ifthey are in traditional cages or hutches. It just seems like there istoo much room for error. I'd hate to hear of either of your beautifulgirls becoming injured.

I totally agree with that clarzoo, and like Isaid, it's not something I intend on doing, but I just wondered ifanyone had actually done this, as I thought it would be pretty dodgy,given lady hormones lol.

I am going to see what i can do about the hutchsituation then cuz i wouldnt want either to hurt each others or therebabies 9if and when they have some)

Heather

Well at the Zoo here in New Zealand and also atan animal farm place called Butterfly Creek they have adult does intogether and breed them and keep them together whilst they havekits. Almost every time I go to the zoo (quite regularly)there is a pile of moving fur in their enclosure along with a bunch ofother rabbits. The Zoo seem to leave the previous babies inwith the doe while she has the next litter whereas Butterfly creek atleast take out the other, older rabbits. I don't like the waythey are kept and bred in these environments but they never seem tohave any issues with does fighting or hurting kits or anything.

Thanks for the info. A shame that it does notseem to be better for the does, if they are constantly breedingetc. But thanks for passing that on.

Hi Flashy, I don't know about each doehaving a litter at the same time, but I have a lop doe called Sunny whois bonded and lives with her daughter. While I was away for a few days(leaving the rabbit care to my family) Sunny somehow managed to getaccess to my Rex buck. I had no idea she was pregnant (I didn't knowshe'd been with the buck until after the babies arrived!) but she had alitter with her daughter in the same hutch. Her daughter actuallyhelped take care of the kits, she helped lick them after feeding andwas even more protective of them than Sunny. And as Sunny and herdaughter got on as well as ever, I didn't see any benefit in stressingeither out by seperating them.

I know it's not really the same, but it shows that two does and one litter can manage.

I have a mum and daughter living together at themoment and would really like to breed the mum again soon but just can'tdecide whether to separate or not. They get along so well andonce they're separated it's not like I can just put them back togetheragain. I do know of someone who had a mother and daugterliving together when the mum had kits again and the daughter was likethe babysitter but I'm just not sure if I want to take the risk...

Thanks Jenson, that's really interesting to know.

Aliena, That's how I feel about it. And I don't think I am willing totake the risk, but it's a personal thing. Risks can pay off, but notalways.

Back