I'm getting kind of discouraged...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that I got less discouraged with my bunny when I realized that he is not a cat or a dog but a bunny who is still scared that an eagle is going to swoop down and eat him. My bunny is 3 now and he definitely loves us but we more co-exist than hang out. He stays on the floor in the same room as us and if we want to see him we have to go and sit with him. Occasionally he will will run up and sit on the couch with us but only for a few minutes a few times a month. He does not sit in my lap and I never pick him up unless I have to. I guess I am just agreeing with everyone who is telling you it might take your buns a little time but she'll get comfortable. My bunny is still learning to trust me to this day. Any time I give him new food or a new toy he doesn't trust it and it takes him time to warm up to anything new or different.

getting on the rabbits level is a great idea. mine is not such a cuddle bug when hes out playing, but if i am reading/drawing he will tug at the paper until i awknowledge him. when i was playing with blocks with my daughters he grabbed one up and was nudging them and laid by us. intercating at his level will help more, because i am sure then your rabbit will be less afraid of having to feel you above him all the time

In my opinion, just stick it out. As fuzz16 said, get on the rabbits level. I feel as though I need to respect Peters boundaries because he is slightly skittish and shy and so since I have kept my distance from him and allowed him to bond at his pace and been respectful with him, he has allowed me to pet him, clip his nails without a fuss etc.

When I got him neutered in October I also had to wrap him in a towl to give him metacam, he disliked it but I didn't try touching him until atleast a week or two later. Some bunnies have their own pace and they are prey animals so that takes into account some of their behavior and is something to be considered when bonding.

Eventually she's got to come around, stick with her and be patient, keep the same routine for the next few months or even a year and she will eventually embrace it. I now have Peter hopping and climbing onto me for him morning feeding time! LOL.

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back