I'm getting a kitty too. :]

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxMontanaxX

Reaction score
This guy I work with, his cat had kittens and he's giving me one! It's all black I think, and I think he's giving me the male.

I'm not allowed with a cat so I'm gonna have to hide it from my parents. But I wanted a cat for so long.

Any name suggestions? Or any tips? Because I've never had a cat before.

XxMontanaxX wrote:
This guy I work with, his cat had kittens and he's giving me one! It's all black I think, and I think he's giving me the male.

I'm not allowed with a cat so I'm gonna have to hide it from my parents. But I wanted a cat for so long.

Uh hiding it from your parents is not the right thing to do. I had a friend once who tried hiding another hamster. Her mom said 4 was enough. When her mom found out how many she had she made her rehome every single one of her pets. (5 hamsters, a dog, and her fishes.) She said anyone who did something like that was not old enough to have pets.

XxMontanaxX wrote:

I do not see how you could hide the kitten, especially when it will be coming to a new place. It's going to meow, you need to buy food so how will those be hidden? What are your parents reasons for not letting you have a cat? Kittens are very playful too so they'll be bouncing around and getting into things.

oooohhhhhhh, ok as a mother i think this is a BBBBAAAADDDD Idea. By bringing in a cat to your home when your parents say no, then hiding it will only get your parents to mistrust you. This will show your parents that you are NOT responsible bbecause you are not going about it the right way. If you break your parents trust it will cause other sort of mistrust issues down the line. I think you should talk to your parents telling them the situation of you being able to get a cat then asking thier permission. By going behind there back will just prove that you are not mature enough, or responsible enough to have an animal. (i am not saying that you are not responsible or mature but just the ramifications that it might have doing it this way)

I hope you do the right thing, and if you are meant to have this kitten or any then you will get it , if not then it is not meant to be right now.

LadyOnslaught wrote:
XxMontanaxX wrote:

I do not see how you could hide the kitten, especially when it will be coming to a new place. It's going to meow, you need to buy food so how will those be hidden? What are your parents reasons for not letting you have a cat? Kittens are very playful too so they'll be bouncing around and getting into things.

i agree! we've had two kittens(when i was four and seven)and they're into everything. and it's not fair to cage them, they're bigger than the small rabbits we keep in cages(when they're full grown)and even those we let out. and they talk(i.e. meow). a kitten will make noise!

i think that it's probably a better idea that you wait until you move out or your parents say yes! hiding a kitten isn't fair to your parents, and it certainly isn't fair to a little kitten.

i'd really love to get a leopard gecko,but mom wasn't too thrilled with the idea and so i'm waiting, until she says yes or till i move out.

I'm going to second, third, and fourth that I think that this is a very bad idea. Hiding a kitten is wrong for so many reasons and you're setting yourself for disaster. And it can backfire - majorly.

The first day I had my kitten, she cried incessantly. All night long, all day long. And nothing that I did helped her to stop crying. She needed my undivided attention and was not content to sit in the crate I put her in for her own protection. The crate I had her in was for extra large dogs and it took up a lot of space. Her kitty litter was all over the place since she wanted to play in the box, she was jumping all over the place and needed toys to entertain her, and I spent quite a bit of money to just get her vaccinated with her first shots.

Kittens need a lot of care. A high quality kitten food. Fresh water. Clean litter pan with kitty litter. Testing for feline AIDS and leukemia, fecal tests to check for worms, physical exams to look for illness or mites and fleas, three sets of kitten vaccinations and then once yearly after that, rabies vaccinations, and spay and neuter. And that doesn't even begin to talk about emergencies. You'll need litter boxes, food dishes, water bowls, and more. While cats do a lot for themselves, kittens are babies and need a lot of help - even with learning to go in the litter box. My kittens didn't clean themselves consistently and that meant they needed me to clean them. It took a lot of time and was overwhelming.

Cats or any other animal shouldn't be snuck into a home. It's not fair to the cat and it's absolutely not fair to your parents. I really hope you think this through thoroughly before getting yourself involved in something that you may later come to regret. I know this isn't what you'll want to hear...it's just the truth.

I'm sorry and take care.

I guess you guys are like picture a cat like stuffed in a small room or something? Let me say a few things. My room is pretty big, its like one of the two master suites of the house. My cat will have PLENTY of room.And I'm upstairs and my mom and dad are like never upstairs.My parents work during the day so he can have full run of the house when they aren't home or outside supervised play.

And...I have all the basic supplies I need, kitten food, litterbox, water, toys, and if I would need anything or when I need to go the vet for shots and neutering and stuff, my grandpa can take me and stuff. I told him about it.

I will probably get in trouble. But my mom would never ever make me get rid of it. I know that for a fact.

This may sound like a bad idea to you guys, and I'll think about what you guys said. But it seems right to be. Like him telling me he had kittens after I've wanted one for so long, seems like a sign or something? I don't know...I'll think.

Thanks you guys for your concern. :)

Is there a specific reason you're not allowed a cat?

I'd definitely talk to your parents, who knows, if you approach it by asking their thoughts/permission,I think they'll be more willing. I'm sure they'll be quick to notice the smell/meowing even if they can't see the cat. You may not think they'd make you get rid of it, but parents can be a bit unpredictable.. especially when they are furious and feel betrayed.

I understand wanting a cat, but if you don't have your parents permission and you're going behind there back, it could possibly cause problems for you and the little kitten. I'd talk with you're parents, and see if you can approach this in a better way.. since honestly I think going behind their backs will cause a lot of heartache for everyone involved.

Best of luck!

I have to agree with the others, Montana. It isn't fair to your parents if you sneak the kitten in- it is their home, after all. I'm sure you'll take excellent care of a kitten, so I'm not too worried about that part.

Didn't you say a while back that your parents were considering getting you an african grey parrot at the end of the summer? Why can't you get a kitten instead? Cats are much less work than afrian grey parrots, that's for sure! Also probably cheaper, since parrots need a huuuge cage, tons of toys (these are expensive) that they'll destroy, and really pricy food. Not to mention, an african grey parrot might outlive you even though you're still so young! If they want to get you a pet, I really think a kitten would be a better choice.

I would really like to have a kitten and a friend of mine has a litter of adorable kittens she really needs to find homes for. However, my landlord doesn't allow cats, so I won't be getting one. They've NEVER stopped by our apartment the whole year plus we've been here, and the people who lived here before us had a cat even though they weren't supposed to (all the cat hair on the window sills tipped me off), but I'm not getting a kitten now because it's against the rules. Someday when I live in a place that allows cats, I'll get one (or two!), but not yet. And even if your parents don't allow you to have a kitten, someday you will be living somewhere where you can :)

I think honesty is the best policy. I think being dishonest and going behind your parents back is just wrong, i feel for you in wanting a kitten but i also think you need to RESPECT your parents wishes. Maybe start talking to them about it , showing them that you bought things and that you are serious about a cat.

My twins are 23 - almost 24 now....and I know what its like to have a teenager who wants something. (I'm the type that would probably so "go ahead and get the kitten" though).

Still yet - if my kids did this to me - it would really hurt me that they didn't respect me enough to obey (since it is our house) and it would probably affect our relationship for a LONG time - because my trust in them would be broken and I would not be able to believe them.

I'm sorry that you feel like your desire to have a kitten is more important than respecting your parents. Once you move out - you will have the rest of your life to have a cat or a kitten. But doing something to break your parent's trust in you - wow - I just sort of sit here in shock.

BTW - my kids have broken my trust in them at various issues. Now that they're older....they have often said that they regret it...

When I was a kid (I was probably around 10 years old), I had a horrible mother....who said she would dump my kitten (that she got for me) out in the woods if I didn't bring him to my dad's house on the weekend for his visitation rights.

Well, I snuck the kitten to dad's house in a book bag and hid the kitten from him for the night. I told him the next day because I knew he would find out. He was VERY ticked off....I think my stepmom wanted to ring my neck...she HATED cats with a passion. But, what was I to do? I knew I couldn't keep the kitten at dad's house and I knew if I left it home with my mom...then she could dump it off (she always treated pets as disposible objects).

He talked with my mother and sent the kitten back to her...which we kept until he probably ran away from home or my mom gave him away. We had so many animals when I was a kid...I honestly can't remember what happened to them all. My mother was a horrible drunk who just didn't care. It's suprizing that I love animals now because my mother taught us that animals didn't need vets and could just be given away to anyone.

Point of the story....definitely talk to your parents. Having angry parents isn't pretty and if you are anything like me....the regret will make you regret the kitten for a while because the situation is awkward....which isn't a good situation for anyone.

Are your parents allergic to cats?

XxMontanaxX wrote:
I guess you guys are like picture a cat like stuffed in a small room or something? Let me say a few things. My room is pretty big, its like one of the two master suites of the house. My cat will have PLENTY of room.And I'm upstairs and my mom and dad are like never upstairs.My parents work during the day so he can have full run of the house when they aren't home or outside supervised play.

And...I have all the basic supplies I need, kitten food, litterbox, water, toys, and if I would need anything or when I need to go the vet for shots and neutering and stuff, my grandpa can take me and stuff. I told him about it.

I will probably get in trouble. But my mom would never ever make me get rid of it. I know that for a fact.

This may sound like a bad idea to you guys, and I'll think about what you guys said. But it seems right to be. Like him telling me he had kittens after I've wanted one for so long, seems like a sign or something? I don't know...I'll think.

Personally, no I do not imagine the kitten in just a small room. I figured you would let it out some. If you decide to do this and then decide to let it out while your parents are at work that can be a bad idea as well. Do you know how hard they can be to find if they do not want to be found? What will happen if you're still looking for it when your parents come home. And then of course as soon as they come home it's going to just walk right out as though you hadn't been looking for it. Trust me on this one. I have a three year old and a four year old and they both do the same thing. It's just a cat thing.

LadyOnslaught wrote:
XxMontanaxX wrote:

Personally, no I do not imagine the kitten in just a small room. I figured you would let it out some. If you decide to do this and then decide to let it out while your parents are at work that can be a bad idea as well. Do you know how hard they can be to find if they do not want to be found? What will happen if you're still looking for it when your parents come home. And then of course as soon as they come home it's going to just walk right out as though you hadn't been looking for it. Trust me on this one. I have a three year old and a four year old and they both do the same thing. It's just a cat thing.

^ yup, very much a cat thing. We'll be looking everywhere for Prince and he's, like, no where, and then he just turns up!

honesty is the best way to go here Montana! talk to your parents, don't just sneak around;). we're all just trying to save you a lot of heart ache when this all blows up. you can't hide a kitten. they're to naughty, playful, inquisitive and busy to hide from people who live in the same house as you.

:hug:remember, we're saying all of this because we love you:thumbup

LadyOnslaught wrote:
Do you know how hard they can be to find if they do not want to be found? What will happen if you're still looking for it when your parents come home.
i had to laugh because there have been countless times i was looking for one of my cats running around the house panicking and here they are in the littlest crevice looking at me trying not to laugh at me runnin around like an idiot looking for them .

^ yup, very much a cat thing. We'll be looking everywhere for Prince and he's, like, no where, and then he just turns up!

honesty is the best way to go here Montana! talk to your parents, don't just sneak around;). we're all just trying to save you a lot of heart ache when this all blows up. you can't hide a kitten. they're to naughty, playful, inquisitive and busy to hide from people who live in the same house as you.

:hug:remember, we're saying all of this because we love you:thumbup

Doesn't that drive you up a wall when they do that? I worried sick because when my husband and I briefly lived with my dad I found my husband's cat outside (she was originally mine but he has kind of adopted her). I couldn't find my cat and was freaking out. Calling for her and searching everywhere. No luck although I figured if she had gotten outside she would not have gone far. She's a huge troublemaker but doesn't like it outside. She was inside, had been there the whole time.

Right now she is running around like a mad woman and sounds like a little herd of elephants, all by herself. She'll be four in a little over a month. There's no way to hide her lol, much lessa kitten.

I agree about not trying tocause heartache. I would not want to get attached to the kitten and then not be able to keep it.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
LadyOnslaught wrote:
Do you know how hard they can be to find if they do not want to be found? What will happen if you're still looking for it when your parents come home.
i had to laugh because there have been countless times i was looking for one of my cats running around the house panicking and here they are in the littlest crevice looking at me trying not to laugh at me runnin around like an idiot looking for them .
That drives me up a wall! My cat is being very ornery right now and she's really bad about it. The other one is too but mine is just spiteful and onery. She's always been that way though and that's why I love her :).

I know its the 'wrong' thing to do but i would do it. I'm not saying like 'if i were you' but if i wanted a cat and wasn't allowed and was able to give it room i would do it. I know for a fact my Mum wouldn't make me give away a cat either. I know the angel on your shoulder is telling you not to do it, but i think you should do what you want, just give it a long hard think beforehand. Don't do it on the spur of the moment. Think hard. To be honest your parents will find out so if you think of it like that you shouldn't be worrying too much over it.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

:yeahthat:This is what I think: if you're set on getting a kitten no one can tell you yes or no. In the end it's your decision and no matter what you decide, I know we'll all support you. I just second the thinking it through bit. If you think about it and know in your heart it's the right thing, then it is. No one can make that decision for you. But, what I can do is respect you for doing what you feel is right. I may not agree with your decision, but I can still respect and support you.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out. Good luck whatever you decide.

What type of food do you have? (Brand and dry or wet). The best thing to feed is wet (canned) as it is more like what they are used to eating. If you are feeding dry then you need to make sure you are feeding the best possible food you can buy and your kitten will eat. Some good brands are Innova, Felidae, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Wellness, Nutro.

I think for the litter you need to avoid clay litter...I would look into that a little more. I am thinking there is something with kittens and a certain type of litter but it's been awhile since I had a kitten so I can't remember at the moment.

Latest posts

Back