I'm curious abot bounding just a question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnamommy

Reaction score
For those who have 2 bonded rabbits don't you ever get scared of them unbonding then you will seperate them therefore defeats the Purpose of getting your rabbit a friend?

Also if you get 2 rabbits when there babies and they are bonded won't they fight when the hormones kick in?

If they ever did unbond would you keep them in cages side by side the time they were in the cages?

I am sorry I am at work and bored and curious

I started out with Becky. I read she needed a friend so I took her on dates and she picked Cindi. I worked with them for about a month before they were ok together all the time in my office (room bunny proofed). Then I read that in bonded pairs you risk loosing one to grief when the other passes. I decided to get a third bunny so they would never be alone. Both girls went to the rescue and dated. Houdini was an instant bond.

The issue came in that Cindi then wanted Houdini and all the food to herself. Becky became very thin so I had to pull her out on her own. So now I have a bonded pair that are totally devoted to eachother living in my office and a single living in my bedroom. I got a stuffed bunny for Becky, who is thrilled with her new partner. No more food theft and Becky can boss around the stuffy all she wants.

I could have split the room but then I would have had poop wars along the fence from the girls being territorial over their sides. It was just easier to have them in different rooms. I make sure Becky in particular gets enough attention. I have thought about getting her another friend, but I'm afraid she will get bullied again.

If you get two babies you have no way to know if they will like eachother as adults. Yes they will fight or breed when they become hormonal. I know babies are way too cute, but I suggest you get an adult, preferably from a rescue. Then they come fixed and you know their personalities. Getting a rabbit fixed is very expensive (can be upwards of $350 for a spay) and nerve wracking. Rescues can be great for the speed dating so you have a better idea if the buns will get along.

I'm at work and have a case of Fridayitis as well. :)

Friday afternoon. What a drag. Always had only one rabbit at a time, that way he is particularly spoilt. Was always afraid if we had more that one, I would be the one left out, and the bunnies bonded and didn't need me. As it is Benjamin is just a big dope. He wanted to snuggle while you are watching TV and loves to spoon in bed when we first go for about 1/2 hour.I think Friday workdays should only be half days.

I have found that to be very true. The bonded pair just ignore me other than meal times. My single loves me and she will cuddle and play with me any time. Oh well, live and learn. I will probably only have one at a time after these.

Amen to half day Fridays. The afternoon is so painful. Luckily I am almost done :)

Back