I'm concerned about Ruby.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
Okay, let's see. A while back I posted about my rabbits and a suspected case of pastuerella. I had taken all of my buns to the vet and had cultures taken, but they came back inconclusive (no sign of pastuerella). The vet put them all on Baytril at .5ml twice a day for 2 weeks. They finished their antibiotics and the upper respiratory symptoms went away as quickly as they came. I still hear a sneeze here and there, but there have been no other symptoms - no eye discharge, nasal discharge, etc. But I'm still a bit worried about Ruby.

Ruby has been moulting since mid-January. Not a tiny moult, but a true moult. Hair everywhere, prickly-butt, and all. She's a mini rex and I know they can have funky moults, but hers is especially bad. The vet initially said it was most likely due to the stress on her being "sick." But, if that were the case, wouldn't she be on the road to a healthier looking coat by now? It's been well over 2 weeks since the anitbiotics were finished. The moult has seemed to move back and isn't as severe, but she just looks awfully scraggly to me and I'm uncomfortable with it.

The other thing is that she's not eating nearly as much as what's normal for her. She was typically finishing her 1/8 cup pellets right away after feeding time in the morning and at night. I'm now having a lot of wasted pellets. I feel Oxbow "Bunny Basics T" and nothing has been changed. She is eating, but not her normal amount. Hay is still going quickly as are greens, treats, and the occasional oats. She is pooping, peeing, and drinking as normal.

Ruby's still acting normal, but I'm irked by the moult plus her loss of interest in her pellets. Is this something I should be concerned with? I've contacted the vet, but can't get in unless it's an emergency for at least a week. I believe they gave me an appointment for March 12th (next Wednesday, is it?). I will call another vet and get her in immediately if I have to, but don't want to rush to conclusions or stress her even more than she may already be. And, to make matters worse, I have a business assembly this weekend in Indiana and will be away from home and leaving her with my mom. I don't want to "miss" something and put her at risk.

So, what do you all think? I'm a very worried bunny-mom and only want what's best for my baby girl.

- Alexah

ETA: I can post a picture of her moult pattern and her "scraggly" look if you think that would help. Just let me know.

My mini-rex Dill moults like crazy and it lasts forever, it makes him quite depressed. It can affect their appetites.

I'd suggest feeding her regular doses of canned pumpkin until she's over it. See how that works.

Is she eating her usual amount of veggies? She needs wet fiber, thus the pumpkin, but veggies help too. She may just know what's good for her -- the hay and the veggies.

I'd also see if a new bag of pellets makes a difference.

sas :?

Nutri Cal for cats/dogs provides a wide base of easily metabolized nutrients that should help push your rabbit through its moult.

The long moult and respiratory symptoms may be connected, and your rabbit may be suffering from a compromised immune system. Because Nutri Cal is so easily metabolized, it also helps give the immune system a boost.

Pam

(Very glad to see you back on the forum!)

I'm relieved to hear that mini rexes are prone to long and "interesting" moults. And it definitely makes sense that the moult and respiratory symptoms could be linked because an immune deficiency.

Ruby's been eating her regular amount of veggies along with the occasional oats and craisin or other treat. She's been eating some of her pellets as well, but just not as much as what's her norm. I've also been giving her some canned pumpkin about once a week. She's not really a fan, but she'll take some of it. Do you think I should push even more of the canned pumpkin? I'm also waiting on my sample of the papaya tablets from Oxbow, will that be helpful as well?

As far as Nutrical goes, is it something I can get at the pet store? Or would I need to get it through a vet? She's still eating, so is it necessary or beneficial to give her some Nutrical as well?

I really appreciate the help as I've been a nervous wreck all day once I realized how long her moult's been. And it's not helping since I'll be away from home this weekend. So any help is seriously appreciated.

- Alexah

ETA: I thought the same thing about the bag of food even though my other buns have been eating normally. I did order and get a new bag, but still no difference. I don't think she's eating any more of this bag than the one before.

Alexah wrote:
And it definitely makes sense that the moult and respiratory symptoms could be linked because an immune deficiency.

Ruby's been eating her regular amount of veggies along with the occasional oats and craisin or other treat. She's been eating some of her pellets as well, but just not as much as what's her norm. I've also been giving her some canned pumpkin about once a week. She's not really a fan, but she'll take some of it. Do you think I should push even more of the canned pumpkin? I'm also waiting on my sample of the papaya tablets from Oxbow, will that be helpful as well?

As far as Nutrical goes, is it something I can get at the pet store? Or would I need to get it through a vet? She's still eating, so is it necessary or beneficial to give her some Nutrical as well?
You can get Nutri-Cal at pet stores, the Vet might carry it to.

I'd certainly listen to Pam, she knows a gazillion times more than me.

I've never been a big fan of papaya other than as a treat. You don't want to stray too far from her normal diet, the Nutri-Cal and pumpkin (as a preventative) should suffice, as long as she's eating her hay and veggies.

sas

Well, I went this morning to the pet store to pick up the Nutrical. I haven't given it to her yet, but will do so later on today when I do my regular feedings. And I did pick up some additional canned pumpkin at the grocery store since I knew I only had one can left. I'll be giving it her every day for a while instead of just once a week. She doesn't love it, but she'll eat some of it and that should be better than nothing. Any suggestions on how I might be able to get more of it in her?

I'll keep everyone posted on her progress - especially after I give her the Nutrical. Hopefully she'll start feeling and looking better soon. I'd hate to go away this weekend with her still not looking and acting like normal.

- Alexah

How's Ruby doing?

As far as giving her the Nutrical, you can smear some on her paw so she has to lick it off. Start with one and she if she goes for it;).

Latest posts

Back